PDA

View Full Version : The War is about to begin!

Motorhead350
06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Well as most of you know The Dodge Challenger is already on the street and the Mustang started this retro Pony Car war again, plus the Camaro will be back soon. What would your pick be if you had the chance to pick up one of these mean machines? The only exception is you cannot say GT500 or RK edition... just the normal versions of all cars or at least the way it will be. Mustang GT, Challenger Hemi or 6.1 Hemi, or it looks like Camaro SS is the only V8 you can get as of now.

Right now I am for the Challenger, but the interior in the Camaro really sells it to me too. I am considering getting one of these 3 cars in the next 3 years, but so far I love the style of the Challenger over all.

What is your pick?

Cougar_Marauder
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Since we can't get the GT500...I go with the Challenger as well. I have always been a Ford guy but that Challenger is pretty sweet.

sd8683
06-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Definately the challenger! I saw one the other day, it was sick!! And it sounded awesome too!

DOOM
06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
I cant wait to blow one off the road. WHY cant we pick the shelby 500kr but we can pick the challenger srt8?

sd8683
06-24-2008, 10:07 PM
I cant wait to blow one off the road. WHY cant we pick the shelby 500kr but we can pick the challenger srt8?

Its sad to say but with a few minor mods like a tune, exhaust and a CAI, the SRT8 would probably hang with ya, they do low 13's right off the showroom floor

Motorhead350
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM

Because those are rare and expensive and above all those would kill all the cars no question. Let's try to keep it far.

teamrope
06-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Because those are rare and expensive and above all those would kill all the cars no question. Let's try to keep it far.

Howe far do we have to keep it, and away from what? :D

Merc220A
06-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Challenger looks amazing...on the outside. But the interior looks like every other dodge car. The SRT8 seats are the same as every other SRT8. The Camaro is pretty cool too. But I would take a mustang any day. Its been around the longest and I still don't trust a Chrysler product.

Aren Jay
06-24-2008, 11:35 PM
How about some pictures?

I don't fit in the Mustang, I probably don't fit in the Camaro, plus it is a Chevy. And the other is a Dodge.

3 bad choices.

I'll stick with my Marauder.

Motorhead350
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm a Chevy guy and now you are not invited to the Chevy.... picnic... thing!

Hehe.

I love the Marauder too and can't wait to destory all these new cars. I already killed a Mustang GT that had 4:10s, cold air intake, and headers... I wish I had the headers.

DOOM
06-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Hey motorhead what stall converter are you running with your S/C setup?

Motorhead350
06-25-2008, 12:03 AM
3500 and let me tell you that is my favorite mod next to the blower. Better than the 4:10 gears from my experience.

Canucksmarauder
06-25-2008, 02:25 AM
The 2011 Z28 Camaro is going to have the the Zr1 corvette Engine right! Going to have to take the Camaro. The interior on the challenger looks the same as the rental chargers I have all the time. What the hell is wrong with Mopar? That interior just plain sucks AZZ!

Would like to see the new Mustang before I pull the trigger,
P

SC Cheesehead
06-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Challenger looks amazing...on the outside. But the interior looks like every other dodge car. The SRT8 seats are the same as every other SRT8. The Camaro is pretty cool too. But I would take a mustang any day. Its been around the longest and I still don't trust a Chrysler product.

^^^^^What he said^^^^^

Gotta have a Ford product.

SCCH

Mike Poore
06-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Let's try to keep it far.

I'll stay far away from the Challenger, not because of looks or performance (although I'm put off by the lack of a 5 or 6sp tranny), but because the local dealer has one, and is auctioning it off.....in a newspaper ad, starting bid....$10,000 over list :eek:

It seems to me, your contest should include the GT 500 and GT 500KR, since we're talking the same price range, and dealer shenanigans on all three, since I'm betting the Chevy dealers won't pass up the opportunity to turn a fast buck.
Don't forget, my dealer went to his preferred customer list and offered me a GT 500 at list. (I bought a '97 Cobra from him ....same deal)

High-C
06-25-2008, 04:39 AM
I think that you have to take the aftermarket into consideration... The Mustang is well ahead of the game there. Since we all love to tweak our cars, the Mustang has by far the most aftermarket options and PROVEN performance upgrades. $.02

Leadfoot281
06-25-2008, 11:56 AM
No Generic Motors cars for me and no Chrysler either. That narrows the list down quite a bit.

On top of that, I don't like the looks of either one of 'em.

offroadkarter
06-25-2008, 02:09 PM
The challenger is supposed to have a new interior when the next model comes out.

I would probably still take the challenger since mustangs are everywhere.

hot-rauder
06-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Mustang...... hear one and tell me you wouldnt buy it. I dare you

Challenger only comes in automatic.... no bueno. even the Chick-Stick/ Manumatic or whatever they call it is sluggish if it is anything like the Magnum or Chargers.

Camaro- released the concept too early. by the time production hits it is outdated. they should have held off. plus its a Chevy.

TAKEDOWN
06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Challenger all the way!

huot5
06-25-2008, 03:57 PM
a friend of mine has a Challenger on order, so if and when I see it firsthand, I can make a educated decision. IMO, the Challenger has gotten alot of press, all the "Mopar" fever, but right now, the 'stang aftermarket has got to be unbeatable.

FastMerc
06-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I think I will wait for the BOSS mustang project to arrive... :D

Joe Walsh
06-25-2008, 04:30 PM
I'll stay far away from the Challenger, not because of looks or performance (although I'm put off by the lack of a 5 or 6sp tranny), but because the local dealer has one, and is auctioning it off.....in a newspaper ad, starting bid....$10,000 over list :eek:

It seems to me, your contest should include the GT 500 and GT 500KR, since we're talking the same price range, and dealer shenanigans on all three, since I'm betting the Chevy dealers won't pass up the opportunity to turn a fast buck.
Don't forget, my dealer went to his preferred customer list and offered me a GT 500 at list. (I bought a '97 Cobra from him ....same deal)

Mike's absolutely right....TRY to buy an SRT8 Challenger anywhere near list price....NOT!!!

And Chevy dealers will happily rape all the guys MUST have a Camaro as soon as they become available.

dpotter
06-25-2008, 04:38 PM
GT500, simliar sticker $ as the Challenger and with a few minor mods will put 600 on the ground and spank the snot out of a Challenger. At the same sticker and not nearly as "rare" as many people may think it belongs in the Mustang selection category, the KR is a LE run comparable in power to a modded 500, the GT500 is a production line vehicle. Give me the price difference in mods and I'll take the Mustang GT and run smokey circles around the Challenger all day long and put $5k in the fuel/tire fund.

I'm a fan of the Challenger, albeit from afar since I have yet to drive one. I'd replace the MM with a Challenger if it were an even swap :)

Crown Vicman
06-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Its hard to say no to a mustang. The challenger is cool but the camaro just doesn't impress me.

justbob
06-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Just read an article today on GT500 vs. challenger RT. The challenger will be automatic in SRT trim only this year and they are kicking there own a** for not getting the standard shift ready in time for production so the only comparisson is the GT500 untill next year. So my pick is a GT500. Or we can fast forward to next year and my choice is Challenger 5.7 or Mustang GT for comparables and i think i'd take ?????????Probably the GT. By the way the pistol grip will be in next year models also.

sweetair
06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Howe far do we have to keep it, and away from what? :DYou guys kill me. LOL Listen, to keep it FAIR, the GT 500 has to allowed into this discussion. Cost wise it is comprable to the Challenger SRT8. Having said that It is a toss up bet a convert GT500 or a yet to be produced 09 convert. manual Challenger.

OneBADLsE
06-25-2008, 09:06 PM
This is hardly a no brainer. I currently have the mustang GT. I'd take any GT (around $31k MSRP), bring it up to cost comparision with the SRT-8 (around $44k) Challenger, and whip the eva-lovin piss out of it. That leaves me with $13k in mods left over...

Do you know what you can do with $13k on a mustang GT???? :::evil Grin::: Besides, ever BONE STOCK Mustang GT with a GOOD DRIVER (shut up, Paul...LOL) can trap mid 13's on stock rubber

BAD MERC
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
The next fuel-guzzler I get will be a Viper Roadster. It seems to get legs open more than Mustangs and Challengers. I had the opportunity to drive an '02 GTS (red/white hardtop) a few years back and let me tell you - this car gets respect everywhere. Everyone wants to look at the goods. I figure I can get a low-mileage clean one for a decent price.

huot5
06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
The Viper is nice, the Z06 is nice, but can we stick to 4 seaters just to compare against the MM? and cuz I don't have the room for a two seater....yet...

There are waayyy tooo many mustangs out on the roads..so most guys ( and I know myself,) want something different or unique. I would only get into a Challenger when the prices drop below sticker. no way I'm paying MSRP or above. for those who still like the 'stang, IMO, the FOOSE stripes on a vert stang, slap a S/C on a GT and a few other upgrades and instant muscle. the MM is by far the reason we exist here...2 year production..talk about limited. if they stopped making GT500's after two years...they'd be worth a bundle...

MarauderTJA
06-26-2008, 04:27 AM
The Challenger is indeed a good looker. BUT overall it is more show than go, like most Chrysler products (except for the 60's & 70's). Instead of buying one of these, SC your Marauder and add some cool mods. Pretty much "any SC'd" Marauder will smoke any SRT 8 Challenger or whatever. AND our Marauders are unique, roomy, classy and you know that get good looks.

And for Vipers Kenny, :shake:, sorry there again they look cool, but you should see the look on their faces when my big 4-door smokes them:P. I dusted three to date since being SC'd for 3 years. I spent the money (a lot:eek:) on my Marauder and do not regret it one penny.......IMO I just cannot see the justification on buying another high performace car. And if I do, it would be a Shelby GT 500 vert;). Each to their own and that is what the love of cars is all about.

ParkRanger
06-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Mustang...... hear one and tell me you wouldnt buy it. I dare you

Challenger only comes in automatic.... no bueno. even the Chick-Stick/ Manumatic or whatever they call it is sluggish if it is anything like the Magnum or Chargers.

Camaro- released the concept too early. by the time production hits it is outdated. they should have held off. plus its a Chevy.

Right you are. :D
They have already tested the stock Bullitt (315 hp) v. Challenger and the Challenger just eked by. So take the Bullitt add a Roush s/c and it will kill the overpriced retro.

PR :burnout:

huot5
06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
the only thing is the Bullitt is understated. w/ a S/C, few mods, better wheels, suspension, ...it will run with the best of them. total sleeper.
I like the sidepipes on the Eleanor versions ( Cervini's), and also the orange one ( Parnelli Jones version??) with the black rear louvers. too much $$ tho.
I'd pick one up in a few years.
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2007/2007-Saleen-302-Parnelli-Jones-Limited-Edition-Mustang-Rear-Angle-1024x768.jpg

All depends what the best deal is out there......for collectibles

MarauderTJA
06-26-2008, 09:18 AM
The new Bullitt is pretty hard to find here in Florida. I love that car.

huot5
06-26-2008, 09:20 AM
The new Bullitt is pretty hard to find here in Florida. I love that car.
there's one in Miami. Midway FOrd. and it has a mark up. IDK how much;)

Dan Gurney edition in the works at Saleen. looks good.

QWK SVT
06-26-2008, 10:13 AM
The challenger is essentially new sheet metal on the Charger... Look at the weight! while the V8 Camaro will likely "only" have 400HP, it WILL weigh less. Whether you want to go straight lines, or if you want to take turns, similar rated power, and a few hundred pounds less will make a big difference. The price tag on the Challenger is also awfully bloated (GM has promised the Camaro pricing will be comparable to Mustang pricing)...

You can probably guess which way I sway, based on this and previous comments... I hope to have a Camaro in my garage, within the next 24-months.

PS - I expect each manufacturer to have dealers willing to rape the buying public for more than sticker. Disgusting! :shake:

88LTDCV351
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm a Challenger SRT/Charger SRT person. I'd love to get one of those if I ever had room and money in my fleet.

Pops
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm a Challenger SRT/Charger SRT person. I'd love to get one of those if I ever had room and money in my fleet.

They look great and I would also like one but it wont happen till other projects are done. :)

DOOM
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=MarauderTJA;628814]The Challenger is indeed a good looker. BUT overall it is more show than go, like most Chrysler products (except for the 60's & 70's). Instead of buying one of these, SC your Marauder and add some cool mods. Pretty much "any SC'd" Marauder will smoke any SRT 8 Challenger or whatever. AND our Marauders are unique, roomy, classy and you know that get good looks.

Well said :agree: i cant wait to blow the doors off a $65,000 over priced challenger and see the look on the drivers face :eek: :tantrum: :cheesed: :banghead: :cry:

Motorhead350
06-26-2008, 11:13 AM
They look great and I would also like one but it wont happen till other projects are done. :)

Same here!

Aren Jay
06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I will have to wait 10 to 20 years before I buy one.

wesman
07-11-2008, 07:19 AM
http://gurney.saleen.com/

Gurney saleen looks great

huot5
07-11-2008, 07:42 AM
there's one in Miami. Midway FOrd. and it has a mark up. IDK how much;)

Dan Gurney edition in the works at Saleen. looks good.

And I saw a black Challenger and an Orange one at the rail yard near the house. I could only catch a glimpse from a distance, the frenzy is going to be just like the when the Mustangs started rolling onto the dealer lots...:cool: :shake:

Aren Jay
07-11-2008, 10:47 AM
The challenger is supposed to have a new interior when the next model comes out.

I would probably still take the challenger since mustangs are everywhere.

Wait a couple years and your Challenger will be like that Charger, Everywhere.