PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my seat

Motorhead350
06-25-2008, 12:01 AM
I bought a seat for my 65 Chevy at a junkyard last week and it's the perfect size, but it sits way too tall. I got this from a 1990 Ford Van and it was the 3rd row seat, plus it was removable. Now when I have the seat in the truck it is so tall that it hits the steering wheel. What should I do about the legs? My idea was to cut a few inches off them a weld them back, but 2 out of 3 people said that is a bad idea. I have no idea what to do other than go to some place to have them make me new legs, but I don't want to pay a stupid amount and we all know anything "Custom" will "Cost." I still have the old seat brackets from the first seat, but it took a drill to get those suckers out and I do not wish to use them again. I am also replacing the floor, but probably not the whole floor.

What should I do here?

Aren Jay
06-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Make a wooden frame, roughly, and mount the seat. Then have someone make a realgood frame metal or wood or both to the spec's of the rough frame.

Breadfan
06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
This is a pretty tough question to answer without seeing it...

It sounds like you have some work ahead of yourself though.

Cutting the Ford seat frame down and welding it back is an option, but only if there's enough metal to do it structurally sound. You'll also need to mount it to the floor as the bolt holes probably won't line up.

Another option may be to see how easy it is to put the springs and coushins of the new seat onto the chevy seat frame. (Assuming you had one to start with.)

Another opton, cut most of the frame off and build one from scratch with metal stock.

Again very hard to say over the internet. You really need to examine and and think through it, or atleast post pics.

BUT, regardless of what you do, you are custom mounting a seat. You need to think SAFETY above all else. Remember a poorly made seat frame or even a well made frame poorly bolted in will be super dangeroius in a crash. the last thing you need is for the seat to become a projectile with you in it if you have a wreck.

As such I would recommend you get some professional advice or hands to help.

Putting in a custom seat is cool, just this is one of those things that has to be done right.

Also, I would examine different mounting points. You want to choose an angle for the seat bottom. I think typically 7degrees titled up in the front is normal and comfortable. If hard mounting it in, you wnat to choose the angle you want the seat at to be comfy. You can do this with a degree measuring tool and some scrap wood shims even sitting on the ground.

Leadfoot281
06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Re-upholster the stock seat yourself. Buy the tools and materials then dive in head first.

Look at it this way; If you cobble up a Ford seat for your Chevy truck, that's one thing. If you can re-upholster seats, that's a SKILL.

Who knows, one day you might find a real good painter that needs a seat re-done and you to can trade skills and get something painted for free.

Breadfan
06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Re-upholster the stock seat yourself. Buy the tools and materials then dive in head first.

Look at it this way; If you cobble up a Ford seat for your Chevy truck, that's one thing. If can re-upholster seats, that's a SKILL.

Who knows, one day you might find a real good painter that needs a seat re-done and you to can trade skills and get something painted for free.

VERY good point! The skills learned would be invaluable and if the seat is there it's very doable. Plus you can buy bulk materials and really DIY on the cheap. You can buy seat foam, fabirc, etc. If you're going for a rat-rod look the fabric can be just about anything!

That reminds me on my last car the interior was very dull grey. There was no contrast in it, it got very boring, and I was commuting ALOT. It started to drive me nuts.

I ended up getting reupholstering the headliner and inside pillars to add some contrast. Plus I really wanted to learn. It only cost me like $20 in materials but a fair amount of elbow grease.

Projects like that are very rewarding! I bet reupolstering the original seat will feel much "cooler" in the end than retro fitting a late model van seat.

Before:
http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/pics/IM001708.jpg

After:
http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/pics/IM001722.jpg

Luckily the Marauder's interior is pretty nice already, I haven't wanted to change it. But on an older car that sorta thing can really bring it back lookin' great!

justbob
06-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Lower the floor or do a reverse chop top:lol: