PDA

View Full Version : Planning trip to DC, Harpers Ferry and Gettysburg. Any advice?

Ms. Denmark
06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Taking my sister and 11 year old nephew ( from California) on a 4 day excursion to see some American history. We're driving to DC on a Fri. and have booked the Holiday Inn near the Capital (walking distance to the Mall) for 2 nights. Then on Sunday plan to see Harpers Ferry and the Antietam Battlefield. Hope to see Gettysburg on the Monday and drive home that same evening. I haven't booked a hotel for Sunday night as yet. If someone has stayed in the area recently, and has a recommendation, please pass it on as well as any other suggestions you may have. :)

Bluerauder
06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Taking my sister and 11 year old nephew ( from California) on a 4 day excursion to see some American history. We're driving to DC on a Fri. and have booked the Holiday Inn near the Capital (walking distance to the Mall) for 2 nights. Then on Sunday plan to see Harpers Ferry and the Antietam Battlefield. Hope to see Gettysburg on the Monday and drive home that same evening. I haven't booked a hotel for Sunday night as yet. If someone has stayed in the area recently, and has a recommendation, please pass it on as well as any other suggestions you may have. :)
If I were doing the same trip, I would depart early Sunday morning from DC and pick-up I-270 to Frederick. From there MD 340 takes you through Harper's Ferry. North from Harper's Ferry takes you along the Confederate route to Sharpsburg/Antietam. After finishing up at Antietam only 10/15 more miles north is Hagerstown. Plenty of hotels there including the MV5 Sheraton Four Points that we stayed at last August. From Hagerstown, you can take Routes 418/16/PA116 (about 30-35 miles) to Gettysburg along the Confederate route to that battle.

Just my thoughts. Sunday will be a busy day. :D

Aren Jay
06-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Doesn't it take more than 4 days to get to DC from California?

TooManyFords
06-29-2008, 05:44 AM
In Gettysburg, if they charge "admission" to see something, it is not worth it. Go to the fields, see the ridges and the monuments. My son and I walked all over there and were impressed.

John

Ms. Denmark
06-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Doesn't it take more than 4 days to get to DC from California?
They're flying in from California ,where they live ,for a 2 week visit with us. We live in western New Jersey.It's probably a 4 1/2 hour drive from our house to Washington.;)

duhtroll
06-29-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm taking off for DC early tomorrow AM. Have some work to do but will also be sightseeing as I have never been there. There are some tours but I also plan to wander a bit on my own. Let's hope the weather is cooler than I have heard it usually is.

Starman
06-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Wow, nice trip! And do not hesitate to take her to see the monuments and museums. Some folks would not take kids to see a lot of them, but my kids still talk about our trip to DC when they were younger than her. And they thought it was great when they could answer questions in school because they had gone to see all these type of things. We went to where they print the money too and the kids thought it was great!

I still remember going to Harpers Ferry about 40 years ago when I was a kid.

Have a great time. I am sorry I can not help you with the hotel.

TiTo35
06-29-2008, 08:56 AM
The mall is where most of the DC attractions are. So thats a good place to start. The new harbor is getting worked on but its still an amazing view! I work @ the library of congress...since national treasure everyone wants to visit there. The Supreme Court is next door. The park/ memorials are not too far from the Capitol...paddle boats, putt putt, water...nice place to visit. If you can stay for the 4th...you will see about a million people on the mall watchin fireworks....OH yea the White House is probably right across the street from your hotel. If you want gimme a shout I may can give you a tour...and meet up with a few MM guys!

Ms. Denmark
06-29-2008, 10:01 AM
TiTo35, PM sent. Thanks.:)

Ms. Denmark
06-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Wow, nice trip! And do not hesitate to take her to see the monuments and museums. Some folks would not take kids to see a lot of them, but my kids still talk about our trip to DC when they were younger than her. And they thought it was great when they could answer questions in school because they had gone to see all these type of things. We went to where they print the money too and the kids thought it was great!

I still remember going to Harpers Ferry about 40 years ago when I was a kid.

Have a great time. I am sorry I can not help you with the hotel.I think every kid should see our Capitol if they can and you're right when you say it helps bring history to life when they study it in school. We'll be touring as many of the monuments and museums as we have time for. Thanks for the input!:burnout:

ParkRanger
07-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I think every kid should see our Capitol if they can and you're right when you say it helps bring history to life when they study it in school. We'll be touring as many of the monuments and museums as we have time for. Thanks for the input!:burnout:

Sounds like a great trip and should be fun. Wish you the best of weather!

PR :burnout:

duhtroll
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Just got back from the Capitol and Lincoln Memorial -- all group tour style but I got what I needed. We're pretty busy with meetings so I don't know how much free time I'll have (to answer Haggis) but I will call if I get time.

Thanks!