PDA

View Full Version : Internet security question

Hack Goby
07-02-2008, 06:26 AM
I just got a new computer and this time around Im going with Kaspersky insted of what I use to use for my security.Anyone else have this and your thoughts on it.

fastblackmerc
07-02-2008, 06:31 AM
AVG
Zonealarm
Adaware
Spybot

ledzilla
07-02-2008, 06:41 AM
No firewall set up except for Windows firewall (need something good, I'm running a web server on my PC), but I use Avira AntiVir (www.free-av.com (http://www.free-av.com)) and Spybot. I've good experiences with them both.

Iowa Rick
07-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I run Kaspersky on a HP dual core Athalon 6000+ and Vista. The machine is also networked so there is a Router doing some hardware firewall chores. I also run it on a Intel dual core laptop running XP that is also networked. My other machines are running Norton Internet security. Norton has more issues and false alerts than Kaspersky. I'll probably go Kaspersky on those machines once the subscription runs out.

I like the way Kaspersky handles email, I can pre screen my messages and delete the junk even before it is downloaded from the mail server. It also gets its virus database updated much more frequently than Norton. I've had no problems since I installed it the first of the year. Let me rephrase that, no Kaspersky related problems, Vista and HP quality is another story.
Rick

MM2004
07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Paul,

I have AVG running on many machines that I have built, rebuilt and setup.

To this day (holding breath), I have not had any issues with the machines related to AVG and attacks over several years.

Until something bad happens, I will stick with AVG.

They have a new version out 8.x.x that can be pulled down from download.com if you decide to go this route.

I always choose "Custom" installation so I can set the scan time in the middle of the night vs. 8:00AM default time.

Version 8.x.x has a very nice user interface and includes Tea Timer. This alerts you of registry changes that requires a user response. Kinda cool really. You can disable this feature if you choose.

Good luck!

Mike.

ckadiddle
07-02-2008, 09:11 AM
As long as you use something, I am happy. All the above are good recommendations. There is no "perfect" antivus program. All will miss something now and again. I use a free antivirus on our PCs and laptops and hardware firewall also. I would recommend you get a separate spyware/malware scanner program in addition to antivirus, preferably from a different company than the antivirus. Windows Defender is a free one, some others are listed above. Even with antivirus and antspuware protection, one bad click can still bring you misery in through the ports that are necessarily open for your web browser to function. Once or twice a year I end up rebuilding a machine that has gotten infested with spyware/malware. I use a couple software tools to clean it out, but the frigging junk is so embedded that the removal ends up taking some pieces of windows along with it when it gets yanked out. Oh well, keeps me in practice, I suppose.

nomad
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
What's an anti-virus? Or rather, what's a virus?

I have a Mac. Works well. No viruses. No Tues. rush to download the latest security updates. Yes, it costs more. Quality usually does.:)

fastblackmerc
07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
What's an anti-virus? Or rather, what's a virus?

I have a Mac. Works well. No viruses. No Tues. rush to download the latest security updates. Yes, it costs more. Quality usually does.:)

True, but how many programs are there for a Mac? Isn't it like 3 or 4???

J/K :D

nomad
07-02-2008, 01:19 PM
True, but how many programs are there for a Mac? Isn't it like 3 or 4???

J/K :D

The ONLY thing you can't seem to run on a Mac is mindless, time-consuming,childish games.

(That's why I have a windows based laptop). :P

Marauderjack
07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I have BitDefender on 3 machines since Norton allowed some worms and caused more trouble than I care to discuss!!!:argue::mad2:

Almost 2 years and NO PROBLEMS!!!:bows:

I HIGHLY recommend BitDefender for security!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

offroadkarter
07-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I have a Mac. Works well. No viruses.

Not true, their are some viruses out, very little, i know the first one came out for ichat.

Mac's aren't "invincible" anymore

nomad
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Not true, their are some viruses out, very little, i know the first one came out for ichat.

Mac's aren't "invincible" anymore

True,but who uses I-chat?
Not saying Macs are perfect. But, they are a LOT less troublesome than Windows.:beer:

ledzilla
07-02-2008, 04:50 PM
The problem with Macs is that they have many security holes, and a lot of them are big enough to fly a Boeing 747 through. The only reason there aren't more reported security problems with Macs than Windows, is because there are so many more Windows machines out there that it's more fun (and profitable) to gear all those viruses and malware for Windows machines. If Macs gain the marketshare that PCs have, and they don't fix the holes, there will be a lot of pissed off Mac owners.

ckadiddle
07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Hey, now, windows keeps a lot of us geeks employed full time. ;)

Dr Caleb
07-03-2008, 10:04 AM
I just got a new computer and this time around Im going with Kaspersky insted of what I use to use for my security.Anyone else have this and your thoughts on it.

I subscribe to Kaspersky. I like it.

I also run Symantec on other machines I have at home. I also use Clam AV on some linux boxes. My Xen machine is also running ClamAV. It's decent, but updates can be a pain.

But, I never, ever run McAfees'. Just personal preference. They pissed me off a few years back, and I never went back to them.

Ken
07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
No firewall set up except for Windows firewall, but I use Avira AntiVir (www.free-av.com (http://www.free-av.com)) and Spybot. I've good experiences with them both.Ditto!

Ken

Mike
07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
My brother always puts Prevx 2.0 & McAfee on my computer as well as my kids computers and I have never had a problem

TKde0
07-04-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.html?http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/comparatives.html

NOD32 by ESET is continuously rated among the best. Most of the antivirus solutions are good some months and only decent others. Some of them are almost always ranked standard. NOD32 is almost always rated at the best available ranking on this test (Advanced+), especially on the more important test that tests it's ability to pick up viruses on the fly, not during a scan - the ProActive Test. Plus, NOD32 is a very light program. It takes very little resources. It runs in the background with no nagging pop ups about running scans and how your computer will blow up if you don't, or informing you that it is updating. I switched to this from Symantec Corporate (which was taking about 100-110MB of memory) and had a noticible increase it system performance.

As far as firewalls go, a good router is good enough. I don't even use Windows Firewall or any other software firewall program. They're nearly usesless if you're behind a firewall and you're knowledgeable about what not to do on the internet. The only time a software firewall is useful if you have a good router is for malicious outbound traffic (coming from a worm or a virus, going out to the internet). I've run in depth port scans on my IP address with many scanners. I've run them with ZoneAlarm installed, with Windows Firewall only, and with Windows Firewall off and no other programs. There was no difference at all between those three situations on any of the scans because of my router. If you're comfortable with your ability to not pick up malicious programs, then a software firewall is pointless if you have a good router. If you want something on for peace of mind, then use Windows Firewall.

BruteForce
07-04-2008, 11:07 AM
1. SonicWALL TZ150 hardware firewall between main network switch and DSL modem. Covers all my machines on my network.
2. Windows Firewall
3. AVG 8
4. Spybot Search & Destroy
5. SpywareBlaster
6. Windows Defender

I use this combo on all the flavors of Windows (XP, XP x64, Vista) on my network except the Windows 2008 x64 server. It has just Windows firewall/defender & AVG (and hardware firewall).

Aren Jay
07-04-2008, 01:32 PM
If you are running a firewall and you need a Firewall, don't use a software firewall.

Get a real firewall.

If you are just surfing the web, software is fine, otherwise, it is always hardware.

Personally I used trendmicro, Pc Cillin suite.

Doesn't kill your PC peformance.

MENINBLK
07-04-2008, 02:14 PM
AVG 7.5 and Windows Defender.
Stay away from AVG version 8.0.
It isn't ready yet.

MM2004
07-04-2008, 02:20 PM
It isn't ready yet.

I've updated my machines at home to ver. 8.0.136

Haven't seen an issues.

Can you explain "It isn't ready yet"?

Mike.

BruteForce
07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
It isn't ready yet.
Oh yeah... Defender. Forgot that one too.

MENINBLK
07-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I've updated my machines at home to ver. 8.0.136
Haven't seen an issues.
Can you explain "It isn't ready yet"?
Mike.

When your PC starts slowing down and programs randomly start crashing,
it won't be just Windows doing it for you...