PDA

View Full Version : question about top fuel/ funny cars

ImpalaSlayer
07-05-2008, 09:29 AM
i hope this isnt a dumb question but, how do they keep the motor cool? ive never seen any radiator's on them.

sicilianmarquis
07-05-2008, 10:41 AM
i think b\c they replace the crank and pistons pretty much on every run, they dobnt bother

Jolly Roger
07-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Because the engines are all aluminun the problem is getting them warm enough.
Alcohol cars are a even bigger problem to get and keep warm.

Pat
07-05-2008, 02:57 PM
There doesn't seem to be a need to cool the motor as they are only running a couple of minutes. I've heard tell, but not actually seen, where the frame rails are full of coolant.

It was an intimidation tactic of "Big Daddy" Garlits to take a long, long time to stage and thus his opponent was left worring about his expensive motor and not 100% into the race. Garlits usually won.

larryo340
07-05-2008, 03:58 PM
It was an intimidation tactic of "Big Daddy" Garlits to take a long, long time to stage and thus his opponent was left worring about his expensive motor and not 100% into the race. Garlits usually won.

I've seen a different case than the above example up close:

Went to Englishtown with friends for the Summernationals about 15 years ago (yes they actually used to hold that race in summer heat of July orAugust) and my friend's buddy was a private top fuel funny car driver who went up against John Force in the 1st round. When staging Force rolled the beams and lit red while staging. All the while his opponent had his engine revving in fear not to get caught napping. The officals actually let Force back up and restage (Light the red light and lose the race according to the "rules") They both make the pass Force wins while my friends buddy blew his motor. We went into the pits and he was yelling, screaming, and throwing stuff we were afraid to go near him.

I know Force is the "man" in NHRA, but he should have never been allowed to re-stage. Seeing him in interviews and his A&E show you would think he never accept a charity run. My friends buddy never stood a snowball's chance in hell to win a round against Force, but he should have won that one on a redlight.

p.s.
I still like Force (although I like Ashley better:D)and he is great for the NHRA
http://www.bingogamingnews.com/NHRA_Logo-2.gif

hot-rauder
07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Dave they run the motor for such a short time that they dont need to run coolant. A guy in town runs water in his El Cmaino that runs high 8's but he says they cant drive it, just run it.... no cooling.

ImpalaSlayer
07-05-2008, 06:06 PM
i kinda figured that, the motors only last for a pass so whats the point. i was just wondering if i was missing something obvious

FordNut
07-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I believe they only run about 1000 revolutions between rebuilds.

And they don't even have water jackets, the block and heads are solid aluminum.