PDA

View Full Version : Does JB Weld work?

Taemian
07-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Anyone here use JB Weld or a similar product? My father in law got a power steering leak (pump case has a ding from road debris) in his 97 Caravan. Re and re labour is over $300, pump is abotu $100 and the van is due for replacement or scrapage soon anyways. Just wondering about anybody's experience with this type of prouct.

Marauderjack
07-05-2008, 01:56 PM
I have had good luck with the 5 minute version but the standard stuff (which is stronger) takes too long to cure and runs pretty bad!!:argue:

The key to using any of these products successfully is getting the parts you are fixing absolutely clean and free of oil!!:beer:

Give it a whirl......whatcha got to lose??:shake:

Marauderjack:burnout:

imorb1994
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I had the radiator in my crown victoria held together with something similar to JB weld for 6 years. When i changed the engine i left the radiator sitting outside behind the shop while parts were being gathered up and somebody stole it.

ImpalaSlayer
07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
jb is some good stuff for quick fixes

Dragcity
07-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I've repaired high pressure fuel lines, gas tanks and exhaust leaks with it. Dependant on the application, it works pretty well.

69marquis conv
07-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Like MarauderJack said- make sure the parts are absolutley clean.
I used it to repair a cracked aluminum thermostat housing on an Isuzu Rodeo- held for years and probably is still together.

a_d_a_m
07-07-2008, 06:30 PM
as has already been said - the more prep you put into cleaning it and properly applying it, the better your result will be.

i used it when the water pump on my '87 firebird went. it held as long as i owned the car (30k miles).

Taemian
07-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, I wire-wheeled the pump housing and used tons of Brake Kleen. The stuff has set and been on for a day. So far, no leak. We'll see how it goes.

ctrlraven
07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I have some just haven't had the time to use it to weld up the axle tubes. With moving to a new house with a nice big garage I just need to focus and get all the millions of boxes out of it so I can start working on my Mustang and the MM.

Icarus
07-11-2008, 03:45 AM
I JB welded and intake crack on a 4bbl intake when I installed it on my ole Merc and it lasted 6 years till I got rid of the car (between a coolant and air jacket.) The engine is still running and I sold it about 7 years ago.
PS pressure is alot higher, but if cleaned right and let dry properly it might work?

sailsmen
07-11-2008, 03:51 AM
I have a floor stand lite, 4' high. The pole completely stripped the base.

JB and 2 years ago no probls. I knock the lite constantly because it's in the way and it has a flex top that I bend around.

Make sure you correctly mix it. Also wood workers have a term don't starve the glue, as in clamp so tight all the glue squeezes out.

03Farmmarauder
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Friend of mine has his combine held together with JB weld!!!:shake: Thats what they get for buying a gleaner!!!:shake:

Taemian
08-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Didn't work for me. I used a wire wheel to clean the pump, Brake-Kleen and fresh rags. Dammit.