PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger maintenance

John F. Russo
07-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Calling all Kenny Brown owners!

I have 75k miles on my car. What maintenance should I be performing?

I'll be do a major engine change in 1 to 2 yrs. to get in the low 11s. My objective is a street car that will beat the stock Porche 911 (11.7 sec quarter mile according to a few different print sources).

Specification
2003 Dark Blue Pearl 300B (Canadian) w/Light Flint (reversed traction control, mini spare, trunked 6 disc CD changer, clock-in-the-radio, heated front seats/mirrors, hood light), Born 12/10/02; converted new then used 2/28/03; 70,000 miles
ENGINE: Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion, Vortech supercharger (5 to 7 psig boost; 3.48 pulley), 400 RWHP/377 RWTQ, 8.8lbs/BHP; Dennis Reinhart Cobra engine cooling kit TRANSMISSION: Stock transmission upgraded with Performance Automatic "Super Streeter" transmission version, stub shaft (defective metal) failed at 30k miles; upgraded internals (except for torque converter) to Reinhart's design; Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3, later upgraded to 3500 rpm stall speed); Ford Racing transmission aluminum pan SUSPENSION: Metco control arms (black powdered coated), coil from each front stock spring removed to produce the “same” effect as an Eibach spring DRIVETRAIN 4.10 gears, MMX Driveshaft, Ford Racing Stud and Girdle BRAKES:14 in. BaerClaw front, (two piston, slotted rotors), TIRES: Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18, rear widened rims 285/45ZR18), ACCESSORIES: Wheel locks (Ford), godshead valve stem caps, KB Dead pedal, Badgeless front grille by “Zack”; Zaino waxing; RainX; 3M protective film, FordChip, Ground clearance: 5 in. MISCELLANEOUS 18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph, one tank of gas

Haggis
07-07-2008, 07:33 AM
The best thing is to contact Vortech and ask them.

Marauderjack
07-07-2008, 02:45 PM
John,

What is "reversed traction control" that I see in your signature??:confused:

As far as maintenance, since the Vortech gets it's oil from the engine, I'd say nothing but the idler and listen for bearing noise......:cool4:

Marauderjack:burnout:

MM_BKK
07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
John,

As far as maintenance, since the Vortech gets it's oil from the engine, I'd say nothing but the idler and listen for bearing noise......:cool4:

I think that is where the Traction Control button circuit is modded or changed in the tune so that when you start the car, the TC is off and you have to push the TC button to turn TC on, if I'm not mistaken.

sailsmen
07-08-2008, 04:12 AM
Get a guage that provides data off the OBD port.

Get some base lines, as the car ages things will wear out, w/ guage you may notice before it does any dmg.

There is no maint specific to an S/C car. Vortec will rebuild/upgrade for ~$1,200.

Marauderjack
07-08-2008, 04:29 AM
I think that is where the Traction Control button circuit is modded or changed in the tune so that when you start the car, the TC is off and you have to push the TC button to turn TC on, if I'm not mistaken.

I didn't think any "Tuners" had figured this out for Marauders??

My Diablo tuner is actually for a Mustang and has the TC disable function......when I tried it my dash looked like a Christmas tree and I was quickly told by my FIT tuner that it doesn't work!!:shake:

I just turn it off when I think I may lose traction 'cause it will scare the heck out of you when it KICKS in at WOT!!:eek:

John F. Russo
07-08-2008, 08:38 AM
The best thing is to contact Vortech and ask them.

They'll probably tell me to send it back to them!

What have you done?

John F. Russo
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
John,

I had Wall's Lincoln Mercury dealer in Methuen, MA rewire the traction control button so that it is never on unless I press the button.

So I'm always ready for action without takng more steps.

For example, MM drivers already have to drop our cars into third gear at highway spedds before we can go WOT. I already caused a failure in my stud gear in my transmission. I don't need to think about the traction control button too.

John F. Russo
07-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Get a guage that provides data off the OBD port.

Get some base lines, as the car ages things will wear out, w/ guage you may notice before it does any dmg.

There is no maint specific to an S/C car. Vortec will rebuild/upgrade for ~$1,200.

Thank you for the suggestion. It sounds good.

I wouldn't know what to do based upon your brief statements. I'll probably have to call you to discuss more details. I'll see what others say about this thread.

Zack
07-08-2008, 08:48 AM
You can disable the traction control in the software.
Only problem is you lose ABS and all the dash lights come on.

John F. Russo
07-08-2008, 09:13 AM
You can disable the traction control in the software.
Only problem is you lose ABS and all the dash lights come on.

An 11.4 sec car! That's what I want to achieve. We'll be talking some time.

But I can say that I do not have any dash lights coming on. I know that when I go WOT, the car doesn't die on me as compared when the ABS is on.

I'll press my reverse traction control button to see if I get the reverse effect, that is, the car "dying" on me. Then this will be absolute proof that I have what I have.

The tech wouldn't tell me what he did.

Haggis
07-09-2008, 04:40 AM
They'll probably tell me to send it back to them!

What have you done?

Nothing yet.

John F. Russo
07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Nothing yet.

How many miles on your car?

Haggis
07-09-2008, 09:31 AM
How many miles on your car?

under 20K.

John F. Russo
07-09-2008, 09:51 AM
under 20K.

I can't just go around the block all of the time like you. I'm too old!

Haggis
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I can't just go around the block all of the time like you. I'm too old!

I live on a pretty big block. :D

John F. Russo
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I live on a pretty big block. :D

You better have that odometer checked out.

Vortech347
07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Send in your Vortech and get the Si Upgrade. Its only 329$ and will up the performance range to that almost of a T-trim but with LOADS more boost down low. I'm sending in my S-trim for my stang this year.

John F. Russo
07-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Send in your Vortech and get the Si Upgrade. Its only 329$ and will up the performance range to that almost of a T-trim but with LOADS more boost down low. I'm sending in my S-trim for my stang this year.

Thank you for your suggestion.

First, I'm concerned about getting any more boost. I had to have a valve job on three or four cylinders.

Second, considering my objective in my first post of attaining low 11's streetable car, does it make sense to spend the labor to remove the supercharger and renting a car for a couple of weeks?

It all comes down to money. And with business being poor to mediocre, I'll be waiting for another year or two.

The longer I wait the more I'm inclined to do nothing with this engine.

Vortech347
07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
The max boost will only go up about 1-2psi. The midrange boost will go up a ton.

John F. Russo
07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
The max boost will only go up about 1-2psi. The midrange boost will go up a ton.

Thank you for the info.

I really would be in trouble if I go down and don't have an engine to replace my damaged engine if I went with you suggestion which I would love to have for the next year or two.

I would have to rent a car. I prefer to have everthing ready for a swap out to minimize my down time.

RF Overlord
07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I had Wall's Lincoln Mercury dealer in Methuen, MA rewire the traction control button so that it is never on unless I press the button. John, can you get them to supply details of exactly how they did this? I bet I'm not the only one here who is EXTREMELY interested in replicating your traction control disable...

Vortech347
07-11-2008, 12:58 PM
I started a thread over on corral.net about this new blower. Some of the guys are getting their blowers back in a week. Not to shabby. I'm going to run it on my car with the same pulley setup on my fox because I'm in it mainly for the increased mid-range. Which any low-midrange Marauders can get the better!

John F. Russo
07-11-2008, 06:42 PM
John, can you get them to supply details of exactly how they did this? I bet I'm not the only one here who is EXTREMELY interested in replicating your traction control disable...

I tried one other time and I could not get the information.

Brian Wall runs the dealership. He is the son of the owner John Wall.
Brian has been a Mustang racer in his younger single days. He is in his 30s and still has a fast Mustang and does occasional racing at the Epping, NH race track. He knows me. The transmission tech who did the work is called Mark. There are three Marks in the company. He is the only one that is a recent veteran of the Iraqi war

If you tell him you want the same thing, he may relent. His phone number is 9786873100.

Good luck.

Marauderjack
07-12-2008, 03:35 AM
RF....

If you figger it out please post up how to do it......I'm very interested!!:beer:

Marauderjack:D