PDA

View Full Version : Can I haul this?

Motorhead350
07-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I wanted to know if you guys think I could haul a Chevy 350 in the bed of my 65 Chevy pickup. The bed seems solid, but it is wood. The wood seems fine and is solid too and it looks like it has been used to haul before. I just have no idea if pickups with wood beds could handle a complete engine in the back... I don't want it to break. Any experience or thoughts?

sd8683
07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I would say it really depends on the quality of the wood, put the motor on a pallet or something to evenly distribute the weight, just to be safe.

Sean

Motorhead350
07-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh yes I forgot to mention the engine is on a wooden pallet.

Marauderjack
07-10-2008, 03:40 AM
If it is on a pallet the weight will be distributed over 1500++ square inches and will be less than 0.5# per square inch!!:beer:

I don't think you have anything to worry about.....other than loading and unloading!!!:shake:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-10-2008, 04:58 AM
You can haul a lot more than an engine block

Egon Spengler
07-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Stole my thunder!

I would say it really depends on the quality of the wood, put the motor on a pallet or something to evenly distribute the weight, just to be safe.

Sean

a_d_a_m
07-10-2008, 06:56 AM
if you can't haul it, the bed wasn't built properly.

Eric-Blk2004
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
I agree - just check for rotting wood etc. I am not sure the condition of the bed. But with the pallet it would be easy. You figure even back then they had to haul a lot more then an engine.

Motorhead350
07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Sweet thanks for the answers. I have a spare 350 and a friend might want to buy it, I told him to hang on a few weeks and I can bring it over with my pickup. I doubt I could get it in my Blazer and wouldn't want to try because I fear I might break the glass or ruin the carpet or just not fit at all.

I will have a cherry picker (engine lift) to borrow when the time comes.

Wags
07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Motorhead,

If you need a hoist, you're welcome to use mine. I have 2 stands, but they both have engines on them at the moment (used the funds from selling the Marauder to start my new project for the '67). I live out in Lisle, but my daughter lives in the South Loop. If I am going out to see her, I can meet you somewhere downtown to give it to you. You can fit the engine in your Blazer, I hauled many in my full sized Jimmy (same as your Blazer) some years back. A small block weighs ~580lbs complete. A BB is about 100lbs more.

Wags

Wags

Motorhead350
07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Wags did you have the plastic top attached when you loaded, unloaded and hauled the engine? Also can I fit the hoist and the engine in the K5 at the same time? The only reason I ask is because the engine is about 80 miles from where I would deliver it to, I'm willing to make the drive, but it would take me all day long and cost a lot in gas.

Also did you use a cover or any type of support to make sure it didn't fall to the side and break any windows?

justbob
07-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Your bed could never be as bad as my old one was and it never stopped me from haulin all kinds of heavy crap. And i did have holes! Even just 3/4" plywood goes a long way for helping distribute some weight.

Wags
07-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Dom,

Yes you can fit both. I did not have the rear seat in though. If yours is in, you will have to take it out. Yes, the top was on. The hoist comes apart and does not take up much space.

Wags