PDA

View Full Version : New Ford

Mike Poore
07-10-2008, 03:50 AM
On the way back from trap shooting, last night we stopped at our Ford dealership to see how large his truck inventory is, especially diesel trucks. It's a small dealership and the lot was jammed with F-series, especially the Superduty, with huge discounts, in many cases $10,000+. Example: an F-350 King Ranch, dualie, diesel, snickered at 55K + change marked down 11K. Considering fuel prices, we expected to see a lot of trucks on the lot; but not nearly this many. If it's the same, country wide, the dealers are in deep trouble. BTW, there were two Mustangs on the lot, both 6 bangers.

The big surprise was a, sort of station wagon looking thing that resembles squashed Hummer, in a sick sort of way, they call it a Flex. The sticker was 35K with the advertised highway mileage 24mpg. We were both astonished to see the nasty little thing, and to my way of thinking, if this is the vehicle that's gonna save Ford, they've made a terrible mistake.

Barb quipped, "I can't wait to see the Lincoln version". :eek:

I just checked the inventory. They have: (read stuck with) 49 F-150's and larger pickups, 16 of 'em F-350's, most of those diesel powered. :banghead:

Bluerauder
07-10-2008, 04:07 AM
The big surprise was a, sort of station wagon looking thing that resembles squashed Hummer, in a sick sort of way, they call it a Flex.
Another design from the GE toaster division. Reminds me of a larger version of the Honda Element or the Scion xB. It was on display at the Washington Auto Show this year. Also "MyFord" magazine did a feature on the "FLEX" in last month's issue. Interior features are very nice with lots of options. I just can't get past the exterior box styling. It has all the aerodynamics of a brick so I can't imagine any real differential in MPGs. Apparently, this styling appeals to a certain segment of the population -- don't exactly know why.

Ken
07-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Some of us saw it up close at Carlisle, across the street at the Ford display, and again at the burnout contest. I believe that they came out that weekend. Not a vehicle to be debuting at this time of high gas prices.

Ken

Krytin
07-10-2008, 06:44 AM
I agree w/the poor mileage but I actually like the Flex.
The two tone Dark Blue w/White top is really starting to grow on me.
The interior room is outstanding!

a_d_a_m
07-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I agree w/the poor mileage but I actually like the Flex.
The two tone Dark Blue w/White top is really starting to grow on me.
The interior room is outstanding!

x2.
reminds me a bit of the suburban.

larryo340
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
X3
I like it too. The white roof kinda gives it a retro look, and besides I'll bet wagons will be making a comeback. They're great when you really don't need a SUV, but still have plenty of cargo space.

Still on my list of cars to have is a '63 Nova wagon with a nice small block. :burnout:

Glenn
07-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Man, Flex at only 24 MPG for $35,000. I'll stick with my 1996 Ranger 3.0 V-6 with 240,000 miles that still gets 23 MPG and goes and goes and goes.........

Glenn :burnout:

Black Dynamite
07-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Its a tough time for trucks for sure. All the trucks on our lot we are selling at %75 of what they are selling for at auction! i.e. an '06 F-350/crew cab/dualie/diesel with 20k miles on it we are selling for 22,400... Luckily we don't have that many trucks.

I don't mind the Flex. I think if you have a family its a great vehicle. Looks better than a mini-van at least!

High-C
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company (Ford Motor) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India .

Sadly, The End.

Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US , claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US . The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses.

Ford folks are still scratching their heads.

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY

Vortex
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Flex looks like a breadvan. I hope it sells because if it doesnt Ford has another flop to deal with.

crabby125
07-10-2008, 09:04 AM
My parents are in the market for a new 7 passenger crossover, and we went to see and test drive the flex. I really like it. The amount of room in that vehicle is amazing. The third row is actually decent. More headroom and leg room in the 3rd row than my parents 02 expedition. The ride is smooth and its eerily quiet.

The only problem about it is that its pretty expensive. the one we drove was not even the limited model and it was arleady running at $37k. the Limited model with out the fridge option was already at 41k. As cool (IMO) as it looks I really dont think its worth 41 to 45k for a limited AWD model when You can probably haggle down a new expy for that price and feel like you walked away with a good deal. Now if the price on a fully loaded limited model was $37k, now were talking.

Hacklemerc
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I saw one the other day at the local Ford dealership. Not sure how I feel about it. At first glance it looks like box with wheels. I didn't get up close and look at it but appearance wise I was not impressed.

crabby125
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Man, Flex at only 24 MPG for $35,000. I'll stick with my 1996 Ranger 3.0 V-6 with 240,000 miles that still gets 23 MPG and goes and goes and goes.........

Ahhh yes but can the Ranger seat a family of 7 safely and comfortably??

finster101
07-10-2008, 09:12 AM
[

Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US , claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US . The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses.

Ford folks are still scratching their heads.

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY[/quote]

Are Toyota's factory employees members of the UAW? :coolman:

Mike Poore
07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Another Ford Horror :eek:

Calvin & I went to Emmitsburg for some groceries this morning and what I thought was a Prius pulled out in front of me, and proceeded to demonstrate how he's doing his part of saving the planet by going the prerequisite five under.:mad2:
By the time we got to town, covering the 4 miles, he had a nice long line of us saving fuel. That's when I noticed the small Blue Oval in the chrome strip just under the rear window. That little ***** box was some sort of Ford, but I couldn't make out the name on the thing. Perhaps you guys know what it is, but whatever, it is very small. :dunno:

Mike Poore
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I can't find the wee thing on Ford's website. It looked like a VW or Mazda hatchback......dunno what the thing was/is :rolleyes:

Eric-Blk2004
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Are Toyota's factory employees members of the UAW? :coolman:

I am all for Unions - but that does not matter at all in the realm of business and success. All a union does in that realm is make it harder to do business. Unions are better for us and bad for business, two different worlds.

Toyota makes more and sells more, and will survive. Ford will not if it continues to produce cars like the Flex and continue to be heavy with models and brands.

Just the way it is.

Ken
07-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I can't find the wee thing on Ford's website. It looked like a VW or Mazda hatchback......dunno what the thing was/is :rolleyes:Maybe a KIA?

Ken

Mike Poore
07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Maybe a KIA?

Ken

Ken, it's a real mystery. I kept looking and thought for sure it was a Blue Oval, albeit very small. I thought at the time it was very unusual for Ford to use such a small emblem. It was like 25% the size of the ones they usually plaster on their cars & trucks. I guess it wasn't a Ford after all. :o

mrjones
07-10-2008, 04:08 PM
The littlest Ford around is the KA. I see them every once in a while around here. They're sold in Mexico, and wander around into TX from time to time.

http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/ka/-/ka_gallery/-/-/-/-

Aren Jay
07-10-2008, 04:13 PM
The Flex is a nice wagon, but too expensive. 24K it would be a big hit, 35K it isn't.

I'm going to have to wait to 2012 before I can afford one.

In the mean time I will likely get a 2002 Navigator, then what will I want a Flex for?

http://www.ford.com/vehicles/vehicle-showroom#/ford/ford-flex-2009

TiTo35
07-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Any pics?

Nevermind...I googled it... bla

Raudermaster
07-10-2008, 05:59 PM
All the dealers around here have nothing but trucks too. You can't give them away. I'm crazy enough to actually go buy one though when my MM sells since I work less than 5 miles away, and school is about 15-20 miles each way and I'll be done in December. I figure I can scoop one up dirt cheap, toss a plow on it, make some extra money in the winter, call it a day.

rayjay
07-10-2008, 06:41 PM
I took notice of four really nice new Mustangs GTs sitting out front of a suburban Rochester dealer's lot this afternoon. I didn't pay attention to how many trucks he had. That many GTs sitting there pretty well said it all. Unlike other areas of the country they are not seen on every street corner due to being a summer only car up here. Usually snapped up as soon as they come in, usually :shake:

crabby125
07-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Toyota makes more and sells more, and will survive. Ford will not if it continues to produce cars like the Flex and continue to be heavy with models and brands.

Just the way it is.

Other than the high price, what is exactly wrong with the Flex?

The Flex is a nice wagon, but too expensive. 24K it would be a big hit, 35K it isn't.

I'm going to have to wait to 2012 before I can afford one.

In the mean time I will likely get a 2002 Navigator, then what will I want a Flex for?

Knowing Ford's excellent resale value (sarcasm) you can probably get a decent, barely used flex for under $20K.

finster101
07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I am all for Unions - but that does not matter at all in the realm of business and success. All a union does in that realm is make it harder to do business. Unions are better for us and bad for business, two different worlds.

Just the way it is.

My point was, at this point in time unions are indeed bad for business.

Rocknthehawk
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
i would like to see a delivery version, like the hhr. or the hhr ss.

imagine a flex gt....use the ecoboost 3.5 with a 6 speed...awd.

i'm dreaming.

i effing love the flex. maybe i'm weird.

jimlam56
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM

I'm with you Glenn. Rangers are a very good dependable vehicle for the money. I'm on my 3rd, with the first two still in service locally with over 240k on the odos. My current 03 has about 125k with zero costs besides fluid changes and a set of tires. The tires lasted 90k alone; I sold them with good tread to a buddy of mine!

Glenn
07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I remember back in 1966 I wanted to order a 427 Mustange fastback (yes it was available on a limited basis if you knew a dealer), but the UAW strike in the fall of 1966 killed the option when it was over. A 428 replaced the earlier announced 427 engine. The auto manufacturer caved in to the unions and every contract after that and we have the mess with the big 3 auto makers today. It is just as much the auto management fault as the unions. The union busted the auto makers with unreasonable wage, health and benefits and the auto management agreed to it. It just took 40 years to reach our point today where rumors are flying this week that GM will declare bankrupcy.

Rocknthehawk
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
rangers are where it's at! :beer:

quota
07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I do not dislike it.
It should not be apparaised as if it was to replace the MM. It targets the market of the FreeStar, and of some other minivans. And from that point of view, my opinion is that the Flex is bringing a fresh nice note in the middle of the dull offer.

JP

Bruce Wayne
07-12-2008, 05:37 AM
The new Ford Flex is a cool looking unit that looks boxy when you first see it but trust me , it will grow on you. Lots of interior amenities, and it handles real nice. You'll see lots of these on the road soon, and you'll see what i mean about the cool look. Oh yeah, did I mention I have to uproot my family and move 300 miles to the Oakville Assembly plant to build these new generation people movers. My employment was terminated in Windsor (engines only) and they offered me a job at this Ford plant. I couldn't refuse, and am looking forward to the new job, city, friends, traffic etc. I hope they sell a million of them!

crabby125
07-12-2008, 05:47 AM
I hope they sell too, but at $35K for a Mid level model seems like a tough sell.

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 05:53 AM
My employment was terminated in Windsor (engines only) and they offered me a job at this Ford plant. I couldn't refuse, and am looking forward to the new job, city, friends, traffic etc. I hope they sell a million of them!

That's enough reason for me to go take another look. Good luck on the new job. build me a nice one....:)

Rocknthehawk
07-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I saw one at the boston auto show earlier this year...nice.

today while i was in long island, one passed me....it's much larger than that i had expected (even after seeing on in person, it didn't give me a grasp of the size until i was driving next to it)

he was MOVING....looked pretty quick to me, and he wa smiling.

it's big...like...if i put a cap on my ranger....and some seats...it would have comparable room. very nice.

Krytin
07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Long Island!!
Where and for how long?

Blk Mamba
07-12-2008, 06:27 PM
The new Ford Flex is a cool looking unit that looks boxy when you first see it but trust me , it will grow on you. Lots of interior amenities, and it handles real nice. You'll see lots of these on the road soon, and you'll see what i mean about the cool look. Oh yeah, did I mention I have to uproot my family and move 300 miles to the Oakville Assembly plant to build these new generation people movers. My employment was terminated in Windsor (engines only) and they offered me a job at this Ford plant. I couldn't refuse, and am looking forward to the new job, city, friends, traffic etc. I hope they sell a million of them!

Good luck on your new employment, and I hope they make several million of them, I think this is like when Chrysler produced the first mini van, only in a slight shift in style, I think it will lead them far into the future.

huot5
07-12-2008, 07:04 PM
for the sake of Ford employees ( and my stock), I hope they sell a million and then some....

sailsmen
07-12-2008, 07:07 PM
There is a lot of hysteria causing some people to throw away a lot of money on hybreds.

Tahoe 400K miles, Pirus 70K miles and Camry Hybred 90K miles to break even w/o the tax credit.

Please do the math first, Edmunds has a cost of ownership comparison of new cars and a trade in formula.

A member on this board bought a late model truck that had lower EPA MPG ratings than a Marauder for the stated reason he could not afford the gas bill.:confused:

ncmm
07-12-2008, 07:21 PM
The littlest Ford around is the KA. I see them every once in a while around here. They're sold in Mexico, and wander around into TX from time to time.

http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/ka/-/ka_gallery/-/-/-/-

Here's the Sport Ka in "action" the Ka's Evil Twin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu0J6zb2G_o&NR=1

Blk Mamba
07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
That's not right!

Rocknthehawk
07-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Long Island!!
Where and for how long?

Old Oak Beach i think it was called? Very very nice place!!

Then we (a group of about 12 custom rangers) headed over to All American (fries were delicious.)

It was only a 3.5 hour drive or so from here...a nice easy day trip (after i got used to the L.I. traffic of course)

Krytin
07-13-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm not far from there - next time let me know. I'll set up for a BBQ!

Rocknthehawk
07-13-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm not far from there - next time let me know. I'll set up for a BBQ!

if you get some type of meet going, i'd gladly make the trip again!

whd507
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
if mercury had done commercials like that, they might have sold a few more...

larryo340
07-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Old Oak Beach i think it was called? Very very nice place!!

Then we (a group of about 12 custom rangers) headed over to All American (fries were delicious.)

It was only a 3.5 hour drive or so from here...a nice easy day trip (after i got used to the L.I. traffic of course)
Did you guys use the ferry or took 95 down to the Island?

OneBADLsE
07-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Ford Flex for the absolute win. The price is a little on the outrageous side, but when i decide its family time, im buying one...there is nothing cooler out there...even for the money theyre asking. The ride, comfort, roominess...Endless amount of options.

Maybe im blinded by being a ford man, but thats how i see it

Rocknthehawk
07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Did you guys use the ferry or took 95 down to the Island?

we took 95...it was a pretty nice drive.