PDA

View Full Version : Embassy's shout ...a contest

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 03:49 AM
TIME FOR A CONTEST!

The winner will receive one of the beautiful ceramic MM.NET National Member Coasters

We gave them out at the 08 Louisville event and to Supporting members who were at Carlisle on Friday.

I will send one of these beautiful, rare, and highly coveted coasters to the winner of this contest.

Speaking of covers, Allen Jackson: Crazy About a Mercury: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UPRQRhIPiZY this vid was the subject of Embassy's shout.

There is something very special, shown briefly, two times, at least, in this video. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and some of you older guys should catch it.

Good luck.

Hopefully I won't need to supply hints, to the musically challenged. (that was a hint) :D

You can view/buy this coaster at our on line store.
Go here to view/order it: http://www.cafepress.com/mmaraudernet.163766229

Bluerauder
07-12-2008, 04:08 AM
TIME FOR A CONTEST!

The winner will receive one of the beautiful ceramic MM.NET National Member Coasters

We gave them out at the 08 Louisville event and to Supporting members who were at Carlisle on Friday.

I will send one of these beautiful, rare, and highly coveted coasters to the winner of this contest.

Speaking of covers, Allen Jackson: Crazy About a Mercury: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UPRQRhIPiZY this vid was the subject of Embassy's shout.

There is something very special, shown briefly, two times, at least, in this video. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and some of you older guys should catch it.

Good luck.

Hopefully I won't need to supply hints, to the musically challenged. (that was a hint) :D
My guess is "Fender Stratocaster" and I don't even know what it is. :o

Personally I was watching the red dress and the girlie hubcaps. ;)

O's Fan Rich
07-12-2008, 04:29 AM
You talkin' about the Sun Super tach?

Had one or two myself!

cruzer
07-12-2008, 05:57 AM
This car was at last years Autorama in Dallas--a beautiful car, many unique features. The figures are chromed and highly detailed--Ihave a picture in my archives--wilol try to find it and post a large pic. Am I right, Huh--Huh--Huhh ?????? Maury

TooManyFords
07-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Was it the James Dean license plate?

Jimimac43
07-12-2008, 06:04 AM
THe Mercury Pick up truck in the back!?????

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 06:06 AM
This video is LOADED with all sorts of cool secret stuff. I never even saw the ones you guys caught. You guys are very good!

BTW, isn't that a great band, with terrific musicians.

Marauderjack
07-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Lakes Pipes??:confused:

Blackened300a
07-12-2008, 08:37 AM
I think its the retro microphones that pop up briefly.

finster101
07-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't know what is more cool the Mercury V -eight emblems or that wicked flamethrower exhaust! I think I have to vote the exhaust.

rayjay
07-12-2008, 10:26 AM
The old style jukebox?

Motorhead350
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Nice video, but the original version of the song is better.

Aren Jay
07-12-2008, 11:12 AM
The lyrics don't have the answer in them:

Well if i had money
Tell you what I'd do
I'd go downtown and buy a Mercury or two
Crazy bout a Mercury
Lord I'm crazy bout a Mercury
I'm gonna buy me a Mercury
And cruise it up and down the road

Well the girl I love
I stole her from a friend
He got lucky, stole her back again
She heard he had a Mercury
Lord she's crazy bout a Mercury

Well hey now mama
You look so fine
ridin round in your Mercury 49
Crazy bout a Mercury
lord I'm crazy bout a Mercury

Well my baby went out
She didn't stay long
Bought herself a Mercury, come a cruisin home
She's crazy bout a Mercury
Yeah she's crazy bout a Mercury

Well if I had money
I tell you what I'd do
I'd go downtown and buy me a Mercury or two
Crazy bout a Mercury

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
WHAT? :bop:

You little turd! You're the king of lists, contests and such. :revenge:
How dare you hyjack my wonderful thread. :hijack:

Off to the corner with you, buster. .....and no supper. :corner:

Um, just kidding, Dom ....you gonna enter the contest?

Breadfan
07-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Fuzzy dice?

I saw one of those old tabletop jukebox selectors like Silver Diner has, but only once.

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 11:27 AM
The lyrics don't have the answer in them:

Is it time for the 2nd hint?

It has nothing to do with the lyrics, melody, or the cars. It's something/someone in the band. ;)

This is a very clever video with lots of retro themes.

Put in your thinking caps.

More hints as you get closer, or wander farther away.

Remember, this is a very nice prize. :D

Breadfan
07-12-2008, 11:28 AM
My guess is "Fender Stratocaster" and I don't even know what it is. :o

Personally I was watching the red dress and the girlie hubcaps. ;)

Actually it was a Telecaster :) A tad more popular in country.

Breadfan
07-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Is it time for the 2nd hint?

It has nothing to do with the lyrics, melody, or the cars. It's something/someone in the band. ;)

This is a very clever video with lots of retro themes.

Put in your thinking caps.

More hints as you get closer, or wander farther away.

Remember, this is a very nice prize. :D

LoL, I was gonna guess mullets but figured that was way off!

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 11:33 AM
LoL, I was gonna guess mullets but figured that was way off!

Nope, but in post #17 you had embarked upon the correct path, Grasshopper. :)

Breadfan
07-12-2008, 11:34 AM
The band does have some neat vintage instruments though. Not sure if that's what it is, but the steel guitar, played lap with a slide is pretty cool. So is Alan Jacksons acoustic with f-hole soundholds (the thing "S" looking cutouts"). Then there's the odd looking fiddle.

And his red/white/blue guitar has something written on the pick guard but I can't tell what it is.

There is also a cow print vest... :D

If I had to guess the lap steel resonator is pretty cool!

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 11:36 AM
The band does have some neat vintage instruments though. Not sure if that's what it is, but the steel guitar, played lap with a slide is pretty cool. So is Alan Jacksons acoustic with f-hole soundholds (the thing "S" looking cutouts"). Then there's the odd looking fiddle.

And his red/white/blue guitar has something written on the pick guard but I can't tell what it is.

There is also a cow print vest...

Tell me more about that red/white/blue guitar, grasshopper.;)

hot-rauder
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
was it used in another video?

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
was it used in another video?

The red/white/blue one? Yes, many times, many videos. It may be the most famous guitar in all of country music........ask Vince Gill.

Breadfan
07-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Tell me more about that red/white/blue guitar, grasshopper.;)

Aside from the paint scheme, it being a 6string dreadnaught acoustic, and having something written on the pick guard, I'm not sure! I suspect there is something I'm missing though :) I figure it's seen somewhere else. Like um...Buck, or maybe a popular home order catalog of yore? If so I can't take credit for that, I wouldn't have known on my own without having looked a few things up...

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Aside from the paint scheme, it being a 6string dreadnaught acoustic, and having something written on the pick guard, I'm not sure! I suspect there is something I'm missing though :) I figure it's seen somewhere else. Like um...Buck, or maybe a popular home order catalog of yore? If so I can't take credit for that, I wouldn't have known on my own without having looked a few things up...

..... Buck?

Breadfan
07-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I'll send you a PM, I suspect that has nothing to do with what you saw, but I don't wanna give it away especially since I had looked it up :)

finster101
07-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Buck Owens used to play one all the time. Especially when he and Roy Clark were "pickin' and grinnin' " :D

Bluerauder
07-12-2008, 02:49 PM
That fiddle was a Stradevarius.

SHERIFF
07-12-2008, 03:49 PM
The rear view mirror being mounted on top of driver's door is cute.

finster101
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, is it Buck Owen's guitar?

teamrope
07-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Okay, is it Buck Owen's guitar?

That would be my guess... Hee Haw!

Mike Poore
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I guess I have to give the prize to Mike AKA Breadfan, although he didn't know why the red/white/blue was so special; but he DID know it was Buck Owens who played it. I think Charlie picked up on it; but mis-named it, and since there was a Telecaster in the vid, I thought he was talking about that, and not the tri-color dreadnought.

Buck and Roy Clark co-hosted a popular tee vee show, called Hee-Haw and they did a routine called "picken & grin'n" as finster101 correctly pointed out. I can't award the prize to him, because, by that time, Mike had already nailed it.

The show was a take-off on Rowen & Martin's Laugh In, with a country flavor. The jokes were just as corney, but the music was terrific, not to mention the country girls in Daisy Mae outfits. Buck was already a big country star back in the early 60's, but that show skyrocketed him to the top, and interestingly, the red/white/blue guitar became just as famous as Buck, perhaps, more so.
At first I thought Vince Gill may have been standing in on the set, and it may have been him playing in one of the scenes, because he was presented one of the guitars, which brought him to tears. That one had the inscription on the pick guard

Here's a vid of that presentation: http://www.turnto23.com/news/10327085/detail.html

As I said, the vid that Embassy posted floored me, because of the guitar, then I started noticing all the other little bits of retro irony they slipped in, as did others. I even looked up the CD and some of the accompanying vids for other songs on it, and they too, have little hidden surprises; for instance in one break, he does a little skip and says HEE HAW, which surely was a reference to Buck and the old show, as well.
Anyway, it was good fun and to all who played along, thanks.

To sum up:
Mike, Breadfan wins the ceramic coaster
Charlie, Bluerauder, gets high honorable mention, and perhaps a tie; but he misnamed the guitar, and the key to it was knowing the Buck Owens history.
finster101 gets an honorable mention, but the mystery was already solved by the time he happened along, so he gets a trophy :trophy:
PS: I'm also sending a coaster to Cruzer, because he's been a great friend of MM.net, and he wants one. :)

Bluerauder
07-13-2008, 04:47 AM
Buck and Roy Clark co-hosted a popular tee vee show, called Hee-Haw .... :)
Give me a call. I am at BR 549. :rofl:

Blackened300a
07-13-2008, 05:15 AM
I saw one episode of hee-haw when I was young and hated it.

Mike Poore
07-13-2008, 05:33 AM
I saw one episode of hee-haw when I was young and hated it.

You were much to young to enjoy those "Daisy Mae" outfits. I bet you never got the point of the I Dream of Jeanie, programs either; neither did my Barbara understand why I never missed an episode.
Oh! that Barbara Eden! :lovies: