PDA

View Full Version : Strange events

Dennis Reinhart
07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Last week Jackie my Secretary received a phone call from a relay service saying we had a call from a correctional facility. Jackie explained we would accept no calls from a correctional facility(unless of course it was from Zack) and hung up.

Moments later, we received the same call again, and she hung up a second time. The phone rang once more, this time from another relay service and asked what type of auto parts we sold. She hands me the phone I asked why they wanted to know, and who the call was from.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/ /><o:p></o:p></P><P><FONT face=The reply was my name is Larry and I’m driving from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/ /><st1:State><st1:place>Louisiana</st1:place></st1:State>. Well, we thought, t</FONT></FONT><FONT face=his was a little odd also, so we started questioning the relay operator and asking why they would first say the call was from a correctional facility. We got the “run around” and no definitive answers. So I ask to speak to a supervisor. This option, Didn’t turn out well either.

<o:p></o:p>
So I tried to explain that I was leery due to being a victim of credit card fraud
Last year, and all I wanted was some sort of verification that this was a legit call. Well, after a lot of discussion, I hung up. Moments later the phone rings again from the same number, Jackie answers. Jackie hands me the phone, well, if you know me by now I am really vexed.

I answer the phone again, and this time I am told that Larry, is a deaf person
Traveling in a Mark VIII who is experiencing problems with the vehicle. Well,
This could be true, but then again the way this whole thing started out, we’re
Still leery.

I again ask for some sort of verification again, and now the lady decides this is
Her day to be a wise acre. Well, can you see where this is going now? Downhill,
At break neck speed. I am now really worked up, and I tell this lady that I am
going to file a police report unless she gives me a supervisor, or a number to
The home office of this relay company, because no one will tell me where the
call is originating from, nor can they explain the correctional facility call in the beginning. Then she hangs up.

Then I get a email from some one claiming to be the son and his parents were enroute from <st1:State><st1:place>Louisiana</st1:place></st1:State> and the cars check engine light was on and the car was stalling when they came to a stop, it was a 1996 LSC.

To make an extremely LONG story bearable, this was in actuality a legit call from
A deaf gentleman enroute to <st1:City><st1:place>St. Augustine</st1:place></st1:City> to visit his son, they showed up here at
Around <st1:time Hour="22" Minute="0">10pm</st1:time>, in their Mark VIII. Me and my wife were on our way home from dinner and met them at the shop.

Thier son and his mother were deaf, but not mute. His father was deaf and mute, the son read my lips and translated to them.

It was all ok in the end, but frustrating and pretty bizarre, not to mention funny
While it was happening. These relay companies make calls for deaf mutes, but
You would think they would be a little more forthcoming when calling a business. Deaf people actually do this from a PC Camera and the caller uses sign language the relay center interrupts this and places the call and talks for them.

In this day and age of scammers. You really never know. But in this case it was a blessing. We checked the car over for them, had it washed and detailed replaced a bad IAC, cleared the code, and they picked the car up today, this is the nicest feeling I have had in years, to help these people out.

His father had read about me on the Mark 8 site.
Jackie Sheila and my self were happy that we could help out this family out.
There never was an explanation regarding the Correctional facility original call from the relay company.

justbob
07-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Man its got to be tough being deaf and mute. I couldn't imagine the difficulties of daily life especially with my have to have everything right now my way attitude. You would have to have some serious patience with others.

rayjay
07-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Perhaps they are training some of their inmates by forwarding these calls? I have received these calls at work (LEO) and they are transferred from all over the country sometimes.

Windsor58
07-14-2008, 09:12 PM
You can't be too careful thee days. Glad it turned out with a good ending.
Helping those folks out like that re-enforces my high opinion of you, Dennis.

rayjay
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
You can't be too careful thee days. Glad it turned out with a good ending.
Helping those folks out like that re-enforces my high opinion of you, Dennis.

Dennis is a good man, one of these days I'm go'in to Flo-i-da as they say here and have the Master tune my DTR. -or- if gas keeps going up, my Aveo :rolleyes:

freakstatus
07-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I would definitely be skeptical in that situation, especially in this day and age. Cool story though and glad it turned out the way it did!

Local Boy
07-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Trippy story Dennis...

Very Glad you were able to discern that the call was legit...and could help them out...

ALOHA

Zack
07-15-2008, 05:24 AM
There is no way in hell you wrote that Dennis.

Had to be Sheila :D

KillJoy
07-15-2008, 05:26 AM
There is no way in hell you wrote that Dennis.

Had to be Sheila :D

He spell checked it w/ Word.

;)

KillJoy

Zack
07-15-2008, 05:35 AM
He spell checked it w/ Word.

;)

KillJoy

Word has grammar check as well?

Dennis Reinhart
07-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Jackie could only think of one person calling from a correctional facility.

SC Cheesehead
07-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Jackie could only think of one person calling from a correctional facility.

Well, she thought of the right one! ;)

glassman99
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Good you could be there for them.

MarauderMark
07-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Good you could be there for them.

NicE! Very nice for being able to help.:up:

Glenn
07-15-2008, 05:51 PM
A great job - very good story.

Glenn :burnout: