PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner Problem

Marauder131
07-16-2008, 08:21 AM
I finally got to take the Marauder on a road trip yesterday, which I have rarely been afforded the opportunity to do the last few years. However, I noticed a few issues arise, which is irritating considering the low KM's of the car.

1. Minor issue, but the passenger headlight is full of moisture and doesn't seem to be sealed properly. I would imagine this will simply necessitate a new headlight.

2. The air conditioner is acting up, which was not needed on a 26 degree celsius day. With the air on, it stops blowing through the vents and starts blowing on top of the dash, as if I hit the front defrost, although I haven't touched anything. If I play with the a/c a while, it eventually goes back to normal, but it keeps flipping back and forth on its own. I'm guessing that the climate control unit is the issue, but that is a guess. Has anyone else run into this problem with the a/c?

Zack
07-16-2008, 08:31 AM
The headlight issue is common and will be covered under warranty if you still have one.

The air can be fixed by doing a search for 'EATC'

Linky here:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/search.php?searchid=1890328

larryo340
07-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Ford will only cover the headlamp under the intitial 3yr/36K bumper to bumper warranty, and only if there is water pooled in lamp. No Ford extended warranties cover it, not even Premiumcare.

Marauder131
07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Zack, thanks as always. I've still got factory warranty until the end of the year, so I should be able to get all of the problems addressed.

Merc220A
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM
My fathers Town Car is having the same problem. I couldn't get the link to work...what's the fix for this?

Breadfan
07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I believe this is the link you need

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36922

As for the headlamp, I had minor condensation and got mine replaced under the 3/36k back in the day. May depend on the dealer/service tech...

They replaced the assembly.

I suspect if you are so inclined, you can open it up, clean it, and reseal it. Most likely the assembly is plastic-welded together and will need to be pryed/cut apart and put back together carefully. May be more trouble than it's worth. I've not examined the assembly up close.

RF Overlord
07-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Marauder131, does this happen when you accelerate or go up an incline, then "fix" itself when you let off the gas or coast?

If your extended warranty will cover it, that's good because out-of-warranty repair at the dealer is $700USD. If the warranty doesn't cover it, I have the o-rings you'll need if you want to DIY the fix in the link provided by Breadfan^^^. PM me your mailing address...

bigmerc'03
07-16-2008, 10:55 PM
warrenty does cover it mine is an 03 with the extended warrenty had the same problem bought it in and they fix it for only 50 bucks i have 5 more month of coverage left

whd507
07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
the blend door is electric, when it fails, you have to pull the dash, it sucks. happened on my towncar. the Marauder has had teh computer and resistor assy replaced and now so has the towncar.($700) starting to like manual air now...

Marauder131
07-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Marauder131, does this happen when you accelerate or go up an incline, then "fix" itself when you let off the gas or coast?

If your extended warranty will cover it, that's good because out-of-warranty repair at the dealer is $700USD. If the warranty doesn't cover it, I have the o-rings you'll need if you want to DIY the fix in the link provided by Breadfan^^^. PM me your mailing address...

I noticed the issue when just coasting around town. When it flips to blowing through the defrost on top of the dash, it seems to stay that way unless I start turing the A/C on and off.

Embassy
08-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I am posting in this thread as it might be related.

Getting on the interstate today, I gave the Merc some gas to get ahead of a semi and heard a "psssssssssssssssssssssh" sound. I thought it was the air brakes on the rig until I saw a faint light colored cloud out the back window.

About that time the a/c started blowing out warm/vent air.

Unlike others in this thread, my vent works fine and air also blows when the a/c button is activated. The air is simply not chilled.

Got the car back to the garage and noticed no leaks on the floor. However, the entire tail of the car was sprinkled with a clear grease.

Where should I go from here to find what's wrong and how to correct it?

Thanks.

larryo340
08-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Sounds like you popped something in the a/c and lost the systems compressor oil. Check underhood a/c components, condensor, lines, drier, and compressor. Hopefully it's just a line.

Let us know what you find out.

Vortech347
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I used a small drill bit and put a hole in the lower corner of my headlights. This allowed the little bit of water to drain out. I had to do it in my fox body as well. It'll help you get by till you get a new set. Also when you do get a new set, take a hot glue gun and RE-SEAL them.

Marauder131
08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Sounds like you popped something in the a/c and lost the systems compressor oil. Check underhood a/c components, condensor, lines, drier, and compressor. Hopefully it's just a line.

Let us know what you find out.

Yup, just a line. I hadn't even thought to check underhood, as I figured it was just an issue with the o-rings as others have had. When the dealer installed my blower, they must have detached a line and not hooked it back up. Now that the line is back on, I am throwing rich codes.

As for the headlights, they have been replaced.

quota
08-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I had exactly the same A/C issue with my 2003 MGM. I replaced the unit by one that I bought on e-bay. Everything works properly since then.

Care that dealers will ask you a fortune for a new EATC unit, so it is better to look after second hand. Units from MGM 2003-2004 are 100 % similar to the MM's.

JP

Eric-Blk2004
08-21-2008, 03:11 PM
My friends GSX had yellowing and moisture probelms as well with his headlights.

Baked and resealed with monkey snot(silicon) done deal.