PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bumper Damage

RedMerc04
07-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Well, I screwed up today, I was backing my marauder up and went a bit too far hitting a fence post. My rear bumper was pushed in a bit and I was able to pop it out a bit but there is still a noticable indent, about 2 inches to the right of the "R" in Marauder. It is really bothering me, is there anything I can do to remedy this... How much would a shop charge to straighten this out? My front bumper needs to be resprayed anyway so i figure Ill just run it in..

Rocknthehawk
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Is it possible to get a picture, so we can assess it a little better?

If it's just pushed in, not ripped or torn, it's possible a heat gun and block of wood can pop it out. I've repaired many bumpers this way...it's not perfect everytime, but it's a heck of a lot better.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-18-2008, 04:59 AM
Flexible body filler on a bumper cover will never be perfect again. That's that. That's what a body shop will do, they don't have the time to mess with a urethane cover otherwise. I had my rear bumper cover filled and repaired and you can still clearly tell where the damage was, so I got the insurance company to agree they are going to have the shop replace the cover altogether. If you warped one of these already wavy, floppy covers, I wouldn't hold out much hope for it. They are very soft and poorly supported compared to any other modern car, so they don't want to take their shape back.

RedMerc04
07-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, my digital camera is broken so I cannot get a pic. I am thinking that i should just wait until my bumper "accidently" gets hit again breaking the plastic and then pursue the issue w/ my insurance company. I must say that this bumper is a useless POS.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-18-2008, 09:42 PM
It is extremely heavy and has very little support. It looks like the urethane bumper covers GM was using on F bodies 20 years ago...