PDA

View Full Version : CAM - things to do in Hagerstown/Frederick MD?

Breadfan
07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Cam should be helpful in this...

One of my friends is getting married in a few weeks, and we're planning to do something for him before he get hitched. Beer and WW2 history are things he's into, he also lived in Germany for a time.

Going to take him to the German place in Hagerstown, but was considering stopping by a few local breweries along the way. Old Dominion is on the way in Sterling VA. I thought there was also something in Frederick...

Anyway, can you please give us some ideas of things to do places to take him in that general area? (Sounds like whoever is driving will miss all the fun or atleast witness it!)

We figured since we all like beer and are amateur brewmasters (homebrew) we'd take a day and visit some local breweries, or if there were some good WW2 or war museums or places to stop that'd be cool too. (I had thought about going up to Aberdeen too)

Haggis
07-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Frederick Brewery is now Flying Dog brewery locataed off of English Muffin way in Frederick, MD.

Breadfan
07-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Frederick Brewery is now Flying Dog brewery locataed off of English Muffin way in Frederick, MD.

Thanks! I knew there was something in Frederick

Joe Walsh
07-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Flying Dog (Which was Wild Goose...and before that the Frederick Brewing Co.) gives nice tours on Saturdays.

www.flyingdogales.com

Click "Legend of the Dog" then "Tour the Doghouse" for info.

Also check out Brewers Alley in Historic downtown Frederick...they are a prewpub-restaurant and make some good beers too!

www.brewers-alley.com

My only gripe is that when Flying Dog bought Wild Goose last year, they stopped brewing the Wild Goose Porter, which was THE BEST Porter I've ever had.

Bluerauder
07-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Cam should be helpful in this...

Anyway, can you please give us some ideas of things to do places to take him in that general area? (Sounds like whoever is driving will miss all the fun or atleast witness it!)

Mike, look here >>>>> http://www.marylandmemories.org/

Check out the video on this ^^^ page. You can also order one of their visitor guides (also linked on the main page) and have it in a couple days. I worked with the Hagerstown Visitors Bureau/Center (down the street from the German Restaurant)
and they are very helpful.

sweetair
07-18-2008, 09:47 AM
One of my favorite eateries is Wags on Market St. in Frederick. Great burgers and you need to try their fries. There is also the Frederick Brew Pub also on Market St. That one is self explanatory. Have a good time.

Haggis
07-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Flying Dog (Which was Wild Goose...and before that the Frederick Brewing Co.) gives nice tours on Saturdays.

Wild Goose beers was started by the Frederick Brewery to put out a different label. Why you ask? Because at the time the quality of Blue Ridge beer (Frederick Brewery) went way down and they needed adifferent name.

Frederick Brewery trivia: How did Wild Goose gets its name? A 15yr old girl doing the bookkeeping at the time thought up of the name.

How do I know....I worked there.

Joe Walsh
07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Wild Goose beers was started by the Frederick Brewery to put out a different label. Why you ask? Because at the time the quality of Blue Ridge beer (Frederick Brewery) went way down and they needed adifferent name.

Frederick Brewery trivia: How did Wild Goose gets its name? A 15yr old girl doing the bookkeeping at the time thought up of the name.

How do I know....I worked there.

I always thought that the Wild Goose name came from their purchase of two faltering micro-breweries on the Eastern Shore;

Cambridge brewing company

Brimstone brewery

I figured that because both breweries were from the Eastern Shore, where there were tons of Canadian Geese, they came up with the 'Wild Goose' name.

P.S. Remember the "Hempen Ale"...?
Made with real Hemp seeds.....until the goverment put an end to that!

Frederick Brewing Company was renamed Wild Goose for less than one year.
When Flying Dog bought Frederick Brewing company last year they renamed it Wild Goose.
This year Flying Dog consolidated ALL of their brewing operations from Denver to Frederick and renamed the brewery as Flying Dog.
They are right down the street from my office and are also a customer of mine!

Mike Poore
07-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Mike, I guess you're talking about the Schmeklstuba (sp) in Hagerstown, and they're gonna have great beer there, as well. The thing is, if you're gonna do all this in a single day, you need to know that saying Frederick/Hagerstown is not the same as doing it, especially if you're doing a pub crawl. They're too far distant 20+miles, to be going if you're well lubed up. I didn't know the brew pub on English Muffen way had changed hands/names. It used to be terrible, and the food was worse. On the other hand, Brewer's Alley was first class on both counts. :D

Ms. Denmark
07-18-2008, 03:16 PM

How do I know....I worked there.Well, that explains a lot!!:P

Ladyhawke
07-18-2008, 06:01 PM
They are right down the street from my office ... !

Mine too, think I'm closer?!

My boss took a group of us over to Flying Dog for a tour and tasting last fall. What a great boss! It was a good tour and they gave generous portions during the tasting. You can purchase there. BTW Mike P, they don't serve food.

Breadfan, have a great time with your friends. I can't think of many WW2 things in our area. There is an old statue in Funkstown but I don't remember if it is WW1 or WW2. If you see little signs on top of the street signs in Hagerstown, they are for local fallen soldiers. There's a sign in Williamsport for a relative of mine that died at the Battle of the Bulge.

Breadfan
07-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Thank you all for the tips we had a great trip on Saturday including stops at Flying Dog and the Schmarkerlstube! Well I think the important part was my friend who is getting married had a good time, hopefully he'll be able to remember what that's like after he ties the knot, LOL. ;)

Mike Poore
07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
BTW Mike P, they don't serve food.

Chris, what's the name of the place out on 355? behind the Sears Mall sort of next to Border's & Home Depot? That's where the bad food/service was.

ctrlraven
07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
You guys and your beer lol.

I rarely ever drink but when I do it has to be 80 proof or better lol.

Joe Walsh
07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Chris, what's the name of the place out on 355? behind the Sears Mall sort of next to Border's & Home Depot? That's where the bad food/service was.

Mike, Barley & Hops is the one that you are thinking of.

I've not eaten there...BUT I have downed a few pints there!...:D

Breadfan
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
So flying dog is like a buffet from 1:00-4:30 on Saturday!

Blk Mamba
07-28-2008, 05:20 PM
If you have any spare time there is a single A baseball team there, tickets average $9, and usually parking is only a few bucks, so there is more beer money left, and you get to watch real baseball, with kids trying to make it, not those who have made it and don't play their hardest anymore.

Bluerauder
07-28-2008, 05:28 PM
If you have any spare time there is a single A baseball team there, tickets average $9, and usually parking is only a few bucks, so there is more beer money left, and you get to watch real baseball, with kids trying to make it, not those who have made it and don't play their hardest anymore.
Hagerstown Suns are a Class A affiliate of the Washington Nationals.

>>>>>>>> http://www.hagerstownsuns.com/ballpark.php

I have the Potomac Nationals (also a Class A affiliate about 3 miles from my house) ... that's closer for Breadfan too. :D

>>>>>>> http://potomac.nationals.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t436

Blk Mamba
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Hagerstown Suns are a Class A affiliate of the Washington Nationals.

>>>>>>>> http://www.hagerstownsuns.com/ballpark.php

I have the Potomac Nationals (also a Class A affiliate about 3 miles from my house) ... that's closer for Breadfan too. :D

>>>>>>> http://potomac.nationals.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t436

Our Lake Co. Captains, (an affiliate of the Cleveland Indians) are in the same league.