PDA

View Full Version : Ls6

Wags
08-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Wish me luck! I finally got a free weekend, and I'm flying out to look at an LS6 Chevelle. It better be what the owner says that it is, or I will be REAL PO'ed. I sold the '55 and the 502 motor to get some more funds for it, and have been looking for a TRUE LS6 (with buildsheet) for quite awhile. It will look real nice with the '68 SS. So, if I get it, the SC for the Marauder will have to wait for awhile. He faxed the buildsheet and e-mailed pics, and so far looks really good. We'll see.......

Wags

dailydriver
08-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Nice. Hope it works out.

jgc61sr2002
08-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Wags - Sounds good. Good luck.:up:

Marauderman
08-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Wags
[Ban LS6 Chevelle. It better be what the owner says that it is, or I will be REAL PO'ed.Wags

OK --What is an "LS6 Chevelle" ..cause I don't remember them!!

amerikan
08-28-2003, 08:39 PM
very nice i hope everything works out

SergntMac
08-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Damn, Wags, best of luck to you on this hunt! Go get 'em, eh?

Looks like you're doing your homework okay, keeping my finger crossed That you're on target.

Keep us posted, please?

Donny Carlson
08-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Here's a shot of a 1970 LS6 Chevelle. The web site says you can have it for $195,000.00 American. :confused:

Logan
08-29-2003, 09:02 AM
LS6 convertible's are super rare, hence the price tag.

Donny Carlson
08-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Here's another show quality LS6, for sale for $42,500

BillyGman
08-30-2003, 02:46 PM
I'm jealous!!!!! Good luck Dude. I'm on the dge of my seat! Let us know what happens(man I wish I could get one of those.......)
.......and you said that you have a '68' Chevelle too? That's my favorite year. For some reason I've never seen nearly as many 68's as I have just about any other year......

BlackHole
08-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by marauderman
OK --What is an "LS6 Chevelle" ..cause I don't remember them!!

There was LS5 which had a 360 or 400 HP????454
and then there was the LS6 which was 450HP and 500 FT lbs Torque. Yes Chevy did make a car that surpassed the Vette in HP
but only 1 year. 1970.

Marauderman
08-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Thanks----I had '69 Chevelle Malibu--but not with that HP--Had a 307 CI and wouldn't go over 95MPH WOT..It's cause of it I'm where I am with the MM and still growing--a story you need to hear in person--but anyway --Thanks for the reply to my QQQQ's

01 Interceptor
08-31-2003, 09:40 PM
That car is definitely on my list of cars I want to own before my time here is up. :banana2: :burnout:

BillyGman
08-31-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by BlackHole
and then there was the LS6 which was 450HP and 500 FT lbs Torque. Yes Chevy did make a car that surpassed the Vette in HP
but only 1 year. 1970.

I believe that Chevy also offered the LS6 motor in the Corvette also in 1970.......but either way, there's always the great L88 motor which was only available in Vettes in the years 67,68, & 69 which easily exceeded the HP of any LS6 motor. But ofcourse in order for you to get one you had to accept the car from the facory w/out a radio or a heater. For that kind of power though I'd gladly give up a couple creature comforts. I've read stories of a 12.1 sec ET w/L88 equiped Vettes having 3.07 ratio ring & Pinions gears, and 11.6 ET's w/the 4.56's.........uh, sorry. Didn't mean to change the subject.

Wags
09-01-2003, 06:33 AM
Well, I'm back......with no car.....it was nice, but too many mismatches of parts. I was told it was a replacement block under warranty, installed in 1971. Well, it was a 427 that was restamped with the matching VIN #, but they didn't change the other #'s that pointed to the 427 block, not the LS6 454 one. Tranny was an M22, but incorrect for 1970. Pullies were not grooved, wrong distributor, the list goes on and on. The owner really had no clue of what he really had. He just went on what the guy he got the car from told him. I knew that it had to be to good to be true. And FYI, the L88 was available in other cars, not just the Vette's. You could get COPO Chevelles, and Camaros with that motor. Some dealers even offered them (Nickey, Yenko, Baldwin to name a few). The L88 was rated at 430hp/450ftlb, while the LS6 as 450hp/500ftlb. Even the all aluminum ZL1 427 was rated the same as the L88. The LS6 engine was ONLY offered in the 1970 Chevelle. The LS5 454 was rated at 365hp, with lower comp. and hydr. lifters. The LS6 had solid lifters, therefore you could not order air on the LS6 cars. My search continues.....

BillyGman - There are a few pics of my '68 in the photo gallery from a while back.

Wags

jgc61sr2002
09-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Wags - Sorry it didn't work out. But if you didn't look it probably would have been an original car. Keep searching.:up:

TripleTransAm
09-01-2003, 08:57 AM
I understand the LS6 was eventually offered in 1971 as well, but with a squashed intake, and hence the 425 hp rating versus the 1970 Chevelle-specific 450 hp rating.

One of my co-workers had an LS6-ified '70 Chevelle SS (no idea what the original engine was). What a monster. Automatic, and could smoke the tires for days.

BillyGman
09-01-2003, 10:35 AM
that's disapointing that it didn't work out for you. I was routing for ya........I just saw your 68 Chevelle in those pics. All I have to say is if you ever get tired of it, and you're in a generous mood, then charity begins here BRUTHA:D and I'll be the first in line to receive..........

As far as the L88 issue, yes that's true that some dealers took it upon themselves to install the L88 motor in other cars that the factory did NOT, but I don't think you can consider those true facory cars. To my knowledge those were products as a result of a dealer's effort. But whatever, I don't want to split hairs over that. I'll concede on that one, and admit that it's a good point that you've made. However, let me point something out to you about the HP rating of the L88 motor. The L88 motor was rated at 435HP just like the lesser 427 motors were that Chevy was making at the time(the 427 "tri-powers" which came w/triple duece carbs). But those other 427's didn't have the cylinder heads that the L88 did which were open chamber heads that had different combustion chambers than those lesser 427 motors did, and the L88 also had a bigger camshaft as well as a higher compression ratio w/different pistons. The L88 and ZL-1 motors were the only Chevy motors that had 12.5:1 compression ratios. The L88 motor did put out 435 HP at 5800 RPM, but what Chevy didn't tell anyone was that the L88 didn't stop there at 5800 RPM as did those lesser 427 motors did. At 6800 RPM the L88 produced 580 HP. The reason for this secrecy was because the only reason why Chevy offered the L88 to the public was to win races on the track. The rules for automobile makers at the time were that the cars they raced had to be production cars that were offered to the public, amd w/Ralph Nader and other groups making trouble about the massive HP that many muscle cars were producing at the time, and young kids getting killed as a result, Chevy didn't want to publish the real HP story about the L88 motor fearing that it would be eventually banned from true production use, because if it did, then they wouldn't be allowed use the L88 Corvette on the track to win races anymore. It's also for these reasons why Chevy did NOT even publish the special order # to the public or even to it's dealers for the L88 package, and is also the reason why they tried to discourage their regular customers from buying the L88 package by NOT including a heater nor a radio in those cars. According to what I've read on this, the only way that you would even be able to order the L88 package at that time was to contact someone who was involved w/racing to obtain the order # for the L88 package since that was not even revealed by Chevrolet to most of their dealers. So the L88 was much more potent than the other 435HP 427 motors were. If you ever get a hold of an article that published the ET's for the L88 equipped Corvettes, you'll see that the ET's that the L88 turned were much better than the other 427's did, w/the exception of the ZL-1 ofcourse. However the ZL-1 wasn't really a true production package just as the LS-7 wasn't since the ZL-1 engine was only installed in two production vehicles(now imigine what those would be worth if you had one). BTW, the ZL-1 Corvette had a special paint job from the factory that no other Corvette ever got. It was yellow, with a black stripe that went across the entire width of the nose of the car on top of the hidden headlight panels, and extended around both sides of the car. Of the two that were produced, one was blown up by it's over zealous HP hungry owner the same day that he bought it, and the other, who knows(????) Several years ago there was a Corvette show held in my home state that was publicized in the major news papers. Along w/all the other Corvettes in that show was some Millionares Legitamate 67 L88 Corvette that had 13 miles on it(what a waste of a car). It was being put up for sale for one Million dollars. There were only approxamately 80 L88 Corvettes produced in each of the three years that they were offered by the factory. Those were the fastest true production cars made at that time. And they were rare. And that's why the price tag will be so high on any true L88 Corvette. They were very different than the other 427's were.