PDA

View Full Version : Need engine advice.

Motorhead350
07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I have been looking at ebay for Chevy engines for the 65 C-10 and I am finding a lot of low mile 5.3 Vortech with tranny engines for around $1,500. Does anyone know how difficult it is to drop in an engine like this? Right now I have the 350, but I am open to anything as a replacement and a 5.3 doesn't seem too bad, but I think there is a lot to it.

If the engine is "complete" even with the tranny, how much work would have to be done to get this to work?

sd8683
07-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Dom didn't you just sell a 350??

Breadfan
07-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Use the 350 you have and stay carbed and computer-free. The 5.3 is based on LSX series motors, which are EFI/computer controlled. You were looking for wiring help installing a painless kit you will not want to deal with wiring a modern engine into an old truck esp. dealing with the trans as well.

If you got a good motor, use what you got

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-22-2008, 05:04 AM
I wanted power and gas mileage so I put a TPI-based maf efi system on a 1967 327. I used a Holley stealth ram mpefi manifold, roller cam conversion, and world sportsman heads. The car gets 20 mpg highway and should be good for 13s easy. If I can tune to save my life it should get into the 12s some day. That would require me taking the wideband O2 and controller out of the box and getting off my ass. 700R4 auto w/ TC lockup and o/d. It's all still gen I chevy so the engine itself wasn't anything new or exotic to put into an old car.

I wired everything myself, and I datalog and burn chips for it though. If you are not willing to tune the computer, do NOT put EFI in your car. It will be a big disappointment once you start making any mods from stock, and can't adjust the tune accordingly.

A 350 would have been the right way to go... why on earth are you selling it. You can always change the induction system if you didn't like the carb that was on it.

Motorhead350
07-22-2008, 03:42 PM
I do not want a lot of power in this little pickup because I will have to get a built tranny. rear end.... exc. I just want a cruizer and I know I will stomp on it and break something everyday if I put in the 350 that I currently have.

sd8683
07-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I do not want a lot of power in this little pickup because I will have to get a built tranny. rear end.... exc. I just want a cruizer and I know I will stomp on it and break something everyday if I put in the 350 that I currently have.

Self control my friend.........Self control.

Rocknthehawk
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Self control my friend.........Self control.

exactly..

or...

get a dime a dozen stock 350, so you'll have reliability, ease of instillation, and no headaches.

if you want efi, you culd get an ls1, there's about a million wiring warness options for them.

Breadfan
07-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Do you really think that 350 is really that powerful? Put the original cam back in if so. You're not boosting it anymore, right?

If you're worried about power, what happened to the original motor, didn't it have a 327 in it? Put a little 327 with some retro valve covers and a 2bbl carb you won't break anything (including land speed records!)

Still I don't see how a mild 350 non-boosted will wreck parts.

What trans is in that truck, a tubro 350? That should handle a good amount of power, just put fresh fluid and filter in it. What rear-end, a 10bolt? Yes, not the strongest but unless you have huge tires on it and weight in the back (which I assume you don't) you'll probably break loose before you send anough power through the rear anyway.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-23-2008, 07:14 AM
A 350 with performer heads and cam is probably 350-400 flywheel horsepower. You're not going to break too much.

Breadfan
07-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Dom what all is done to that motor you have specifically? I thought it was just an intake manfiold, carb, and blower-spec cam. Heads stock? Are the internals still 1990 truck motor, or has anything changed, wasn't it bored out a tad, did compression ratio change?

BTW you should put this on whatever you use, with some stacks, it'd look old-school awesome: http://www.jegs.com/p/Barry+Grant/1053998/10002/-1/11937

ROB502
07-23-2008, 07:17 AM
502 Ram Jet :banana2: