PDA

View Full Version : Slang

Aren Jay
07-21-2008, 10:19 PM

J D
07-22-2008, 12:03 AM
So I guess you've never had the Guiness "Brilliant" commercials in Canada?

And I think we invented the term hat trick from our earliest form of baseball in the US.

Bluerauder
07-22-2008, 04:25 AM
What is your local slang words that you say but others from other places never know what you mean or are just words you say all the time.
In Northern Virginia, some commuters are known as "slugs". It is an informal ride sharing program where folks line up in commuter lots for "free" rides into the Washington DC area. Basically "slugs" allow drivers to increase their body count so that they can pick-up an extra 2 passengers so that they can legally use the HOV-3 lanes. It is called "slugging" to work and it works very well in this area.

Aren Jay
07-22-2008, 05:12 PM

Windsor58
07-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut.

Slicker than otter snot.

And, of course almost any quote from Monty Pythons Holy Grail.

I guess these are more phrases than slang, though...

STLR FN
07-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Being from Pittsburgh: Pittsburghese (http://www.pittsburghese.com/)

I've been away for 12years so I've lost a lot of my Pgh accent. Though alot of the words I still use.

94five0
07-28-2008, 06:26 PM
fixinto.. pronounced one word. means about to, in the process of initiation
coke. means Coca Cola. not pepsi, tea. other beverages etc.. We don't know what the hell soda and pop are either.

freakstatus
07-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Here in BC, the term "Grow Op" is popular.........Houses bought for the sole purpose of growing pot.

freakstatus
07-28-2008, 06:37 PM
How bout "Large Double Double". Large coffee two cream, two sugar.

Dr Caleb
07-28-2008, 09:58 PM
'Hoser'. It's a term of endearment between fellow Canadians, but it's an insult coming from anyone else. (because anyone else doesn't know what the term means)

When you play outdoor hockey in winter, it is customary that the losing team cleans the ice and refloods it for the next group. They 'hose' the rink.

Hoser = loser.

'Canuck' also used to be derrogatory, like calling a Texan a 'Yank' (I hear you can get shot for that) :eek: . But not so much anymore. We don't shoot at people, we just cut them to pieces with thinly veiled sarcasm they don't comprehend.

Egon Spengler
07-29-2008, 06:35 AM
wicked pissah hey!

SC Cheesehead
07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
How bout "Large Double Double". Large coffee two cream, two sugar.

If you're from Sheboygan, Wisconsin, a "double" is two brats on a hard roll, and if you want a drink of water from a public water fountain, you get it from a "bubbler."

Also, for most folks, "beer" can either be singular, or plural (as in "drank some beer") but depending on what part of Cheeseland you're from, you'll probably go out with your pals for a "couple, t'ree beers.":beer:

Egon Spengler
07-29-2008, 10:38 AM
If you're from Sheboygan, Wisconsin, a "double" is two brats on a hard roll, and if you want a drink of water from a public water fountain, you get it from a "bubbler."

Also, for most folks, "beer" can either be singular, or plural (as in "drank some beer") but depending on what part of Cheeseland you're from, you'll probably go out with your pals for a "couple, t'ree beers.":beer:

We call it a bubbler as well!:shake: