PDA

View Full Version : Can I build this engine?

Motorhead350
07-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I was going through a Jegs magizine and I noticed they sell brand new 350 engines, but they are incomplete. (as far as engines in my price range) Looks like they need an intake manufold, carb, plugs, wires, intake gasket and distributer. I have all of these parts minus the distributer from my old engine that I am trying to sell. Do you think I can bolt these parts on a new crate engine, have it installed and call it a day? I am seriously thinking about it. All I will need is the distributer and it'll be set or so I think. I would rather buy a junkyard engine, but who knows how many miles are really on it or what it needs?

Any thoughts on this?

larryo340
07-23-2008, 04:05 AM
It's not hard to add those parts to a long block. Anyone with basic mechanical knowledge should be able to handle it.
Don't you have any friends that are "car guys" to help you or show you?

p.s.
Don't forget to prime the oil pump before firing it up !!

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-23-2008, 04:34 AM
If you were closer I'd build it for you, I'm a young guy (25) but have built my share of engines and transmissions from scratch. I have a buch of small block chevy parts kicking around. I have an HEI distributor if you end up needing it.

Breadfan
07-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Why are you debating between a Jegs motor or a junkyard motor and taking parts off a perfectly fine 350 you have sitting on the floor? The key seems to be you have a perfectly fine 350 sitting on the floor.

GordonB
07-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Sounds like a weekend party in Chicago with Zack and a few buddies!!!

GordonB

whd507
07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
I sell $900 chevy 350 longblock rebuilds every week, 3 yr unlimited mile warranty, why would you even consider a junkyard engine unless you are selling it quickly?
you can do it its easy.