PDA

View Full Version : He Believed The Ads!!!

DHULK
08-29-2003, 11:27 AM
TODAY A NEW DODGE TRUCK OWNER MUST OF THOUGH HE HAD A CLASSIC HEMI IN HIS TRUCK . HE KEPT CHALLENGING
ME AT THE FIRST THREE RED LIGHTS,BUT I WOULDN`T BITE. THE FORTH ONE WAS THE LAST IN THE LINE AND I THOUGHT HE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE BACK OF THE CAR. SO WITH A LITTLE TIRE SQUEAL AND NOT A WHOLE LOT OF FUSS I GOT TO SEE THE SUPRISED LOOK ON HIS FACE IN MY REARVIEW MIRROR. MADE MY DAY AT WORK A LITTLE BETTER.:flamer: :confused:

Dave Compson
08-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Whats the deal with those new hemis? Are they really slow? Is it just marketing hype?

MAD-3R
08-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Power. They put out Gobbs of torque

amerikan
08-29-2003, 02:53 PM
I heard its the same motor as the regular 5.7 ram just with upgraded heads. And yes gobbs of torque.

Logan
08-29-2003, 07:09 PM
345hp... It's a stout performer... Unfortunately, you attach the word Hemi to anything and all of the sudden everyone thinks their 5200lb pickup is fast...

TripleTransAm
08-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Unfortunately, you attach the word Hemi to anything and all of the sudden everyone thinks their 5200lb pickup is fast...

Eeek... I just had a flashback to those early 80's Chrysler and Mitsubishi cars with the 2.6l Mits engine. Those cars also proudly displayed a 'hemi' badge. Big deal... DOHC engines are pretty much all hemi's by definition. When I get back to Montreal, I'm gonna go out hunting for one of these old things with my '78, just so I can say I spanked a Hemi with my old Trans Am. :cool:

Silly Chrysler...

RCSignals
08-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm
Eeek... I just had a flashback to those early 80's Chrysler and Mitsubishi cars with the 2.6l Mits engine. Those cars also proudly displayed a 'hemi' badge. Big deal... DOHC engines are pretty much all hemi's by definition. When I get back to Montreal, I'm gonna go out hunting for one of these old things with my '78, just so I can say I spanked a Hemi with my old Trans Am. :cool:

Silly Chrysler...

Yes, Daimler Chrysler marketing has everyone convinced they invented "HEMI" engines, and they are the only ones who make them.

As for "gobbs" of torque, I think that's a lot of hype as well.
Gobbs of torque was an engine like the 430 Lincoln/Mercury engines of the late '50s. What? A Ford product, you say? :lol:

MENINBLK
04-17-2004, 10:16 PM

Silly Chrysler...

DOHC design is NOT the same as HEMI.
The new 4.7L Hemi engines introduced by Chrylser are pushrod 2 Valve per cylinder engines.

HEMI is short for the HEMISPHERICAL design of the combustion chamber.
The Valves are opposite each other rather than next to each other.
You cannot accomplish this in the head of a DOHC engine.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi.htm

hitchhiker
04-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes, Daimler Chrysler marketing has everyone convinced they invented "HEMI" engines, and they are the only ones who make them.

As for "gobbs" of torque, I think that's a lot of hype as well.
Gobbs of torque was an engine like the 430 Lincoln/Mercury engines of the late '50s. What? A Ford product, you say? :lol:

Gobs of torque is an old ford 427 or BOSS 429 NASCAR engine!

They had to specially reinforce the old fairlanes and cyclones to keep the engine and driveline from twisting the car!

Best Regards,

David

RCSignals
04-17-2004, 11:15 PM
DOHC design is NOT the same as HEMI.
The new 4.7L Hemi engines introduced by Chrylser are pushrod 2 Valve per cylinder engines.

HEMI is short for the HEMISPHERICAL design of the combustion chamber.
The Valves are opposite each other rather than next to each other.
You cannot accomplish this in the head of a DOHC engine.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi.htm
actually in a DOHC engine you can.

You may be thinking SOHC

TooManyFords
04-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Actually, the Ford 427 SOHC "shotgun" motor was a hemi design and as the name implies, single overhead cams! Very impressive.

http://john.frieltek.com/TooManyFords/427sohc-chains.jpg

Still looking for one to put in my Marauder!

John

MikesMerc
04-18-2004, 07:44 AM

You may be thinking SOHC

No matter what, though, you'll never get 4 valves in a Hemi head. You'd end up with pretty much unworkable valve angles.

Smokie
04-18-2004, 07:50 AM
The word HEMI should only by used respectfully when describing the 426 cubic inch monster of the late sixties, That engine stock would kicked the ass of any blown Marauder or Impala today.

Dan
04-18-2004, 08:38 AM
New Bumper Sticker....

"HEMI"

It's not just your fathers Chrysler.....

But if it were it might actually have balls.

:uzi:

:flamer:

MikesMerc
04-18-2004, 10:38 AM
the 426 cubic inch monster of the late sixties, That engine stock would kicked the ass of any blown Marauder or Impala today.

I'm not so sure about that. The Trilogy #2 car has 440 RWHP....that's easily 500 HP at the block with a torque rating likely in the 460 ft lb range. The 426 Hemi put out 425 HP and 490 ft lb.

The win, head to head, might go to the Hemi depending on the car it was in, but it wouldn't be an ass kicking by any stretch. The most important reason the Hemi cars ran like a ***** ape was they were slid into 3800 lb cars:D

junehhan
04-18-2004, 01:06 PM
TODAY A NEW DODGE TRUCK OWNER MUST OF THOUGH HE HAD A CLASSIC HEMI IN HIS TRUCK . HE KEPT CHALLENGING
ME AT THE FIRST THREE RED LIGHTS,BUT I WOULDN`T BITE. THE FORTH ONE WAS THE LAST IN THE LINE AND I THOUGHT HE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE BACK OF THE CAR. SO WITH A LITTLE TIRE SQUEAL AND NOT A WHOLE LOT OF FUSS I GOT TO SEE THE SUPRISED LOOK ON HIS FACE IN MY REARVIEW MIRROR. MADE MY DAY AT WORK A LITTLE BETTER.:flamer: :confused:

Out of curiosity, do you have any mods?

marauder307
04-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Power. They put out Gobbs of torque

Indeed they do...but so do the Hummers. And their 0-60 times can be measured in minutes...torque is good for towing and off-road applications, but it ain't the whole story if you wanna go fast...

Smokie
04-18-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm not so sure about that. The Trilogy #2 car has 440 RWHP....that's easily 500 HP at the block with a torque rating likely in the 460 ft lb range. The 426 Hemi put out 425 HP and 490 ft lb.

The win, head to head, might go to the Hemi depending on the car it was in, but it wouldn't be an ass kicking by any stretch. The most important reason the Hemi cars ran like a ***** ape was they were slid into 3800 lb cars:DMike, the 426 was purposefully underrated by manufacturer, they were closer to 600 hp at the flywheel and capable of mid 10 second 1/4's. I have the greatest respect for our s/c MM's, but I stand by my statement the one and only 426 Hemi with 2-four barrel carbs. would out run a blown MM. in the 1/4 by much. :D

Source: Click (http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm)

By the way DHULK, great job way to represent.:up:

gpfarrell
04-19-2004, 09:53 AM
"... but I stand by my statement the one and only 426 Hemi with 2-four barrel carbs. would out run a blown MM. in the 1/4 by much."

uhh, nothing against old Iron, but you just proved yourself wrong.

The S/S Baracuda listed is a drag car. Run your finger down the list to the other cars... next to 13.3, 13.4, 13.8, and 13.9 you'll see the word "HEMI" again & again.

Aren't there N/A MM's in the high 13's? Didn't Lido just run high 11s?

Hemi's are cool, but we needn't worship them....

O's Fan Rich
04-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Hemi is nice.
Marauder is nice.
Me buy Marauder.
Somebody else buy Hemi.
Old Hemi good.
New Hemi good.
Marauder nice.
Me buy Marauder.
Old Hemi go fast.
New Hemi go fast.
Marauder go fast.
Me buy Marauder.
Any questions? yadda, yadda, yadda

SWEEEEEEEEETTTT!

MENINBLK
04-19-2004, 06:37 PM
You may be thinking SOHC

No I am thinking DOHC you can't.

Picture a tennis ball.
Cut the ball in half.
Stick 4 valves to the half-ball and see how far apart the valve stems stick out.

Do you think anyone can build a head, that will hold those valves at those angles
and keep the size of the head reasonable ???

Krytin
04-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Chrysler did in fact invent the "hemi" head engine during WWII in an effort to improve hp.
"hemi" refers to the round symetrical shape of the combustion chamber - not a perfect hemisphere. Key design element is the central location of the spark plug. DOHC's can be refered to as "hemi" head designs but Chrysler owns the name.

RCSignals
04-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Chrysler didn't invent Hemi heads. I think you'll find hemispherical combustion chambers existed before WW2.
Chrysler had an experimental aircraft engine that used Hemispherical heads.
Chrysler's automotive heads were a very close copy of the "ARDUN" heads developed for the flathead Ford. The engineers who worked on the Hemi heads for Chrysler admitted they used the ARDUN heads as a guide. Most Mopar Hemi fans will deny that today though. Not that it's a big deal.

and yes, "HEMI" is a Chrysler marketing trade mark.

Smokie
04-20-2004, 06:03 AM
"... but I stand by my statement the one and only 426 Hemi with 2-four barrel carbs. would out run a blown MM. in the 1/4 by much."

uhh, nothing against old Iron, but you just proved yourself wrong.

The S/S Baracuda listed is a drag car. Run your finger down the list to the other cars... next to 13.3, 13.4, 13.8, and 13.9 you'll see the word "HEMI" again & again.

Aren't there N/A MM's in the high 13's? Didn't Lido just run high 11s?

Hemi's are cool, but we needn't worship them....
Not trying to split the atom here.:) I am not talking about a particular car, I am talking about a particular engine as built by the manufacturer. In the late sixties you could buy directly from manufacturer a 426 engine (choose your favorite Plymouth or Dodge body) that would propel the car (I am aware it was "not street legal") into the 10's.
My point is the engine exactly as purchased from manufacturer was capable of this feat, without any extra "help". Back in 1970 I owned a Plymouth Duster (no big deal) and a high school friend owned a 1968 Barracuda that was street legal with the Hemi and he ran very low 11's by changing to slicks at the track, the tires back then were garbage compared to todays tires and that is the only reason these cars were slow with stock tires.:beer:

SergntMac
04-20-2004, 08:49 AM
I have to throw my .02c in here, sorry for the length. Not looking to flame anyone, or get flamed, but this is the way I remember the 426 Hemi.

1966 through 1969, I worked at Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge, what you may consider a factory sponsored muscle car builder. In today's terms, think Saleen, or, SVT. I was young, eager, and loved Mopars. I started out as a part time car hiker, and left as the used car prep manager, which earned me a career building position with Nickey Chevrolet.

An older gentleman stopped by Norm's one day, bring in a mint 1965 Dodge Coronet 500, with a factory 426 Hemi engine, dual Carter AFB 4 bbls, 4 speed, and Dana 4:88 gears in a 9" housing. It had exhaust and suspension work by Norm in the past, and the gentleman was there to sell the car. It had been in storage for a year, his son didn't return from 'Nam. Norm worked the numbers fair for both of us, and I took it home.

I didn't do much else to the car, it ran hard and fast as it sat. It needed slicks to launch, despite Norms custom chassis work. With the right adjustments to the torsion bar front suspension, and 90/10 front shocks, it could pull the wheels at the launch. However, it needed constant tuning too, like daily. It ate spark plugs, fan belts, brake pads, and distributor caps like cheese popcorn. Redline was under 7K, and MPG was under 10. Torsion bars twisted out of adjustment at every launch, and when I did come up off the pavement, I may not come down heading in the same direction. It was a brutal but badazzed drive. I could beat everyone at the stoplight, beat most in illegal street racing too, because this is typically a long 1/8 mile race.

But, at the track, my best was 13.30s, the car had no top end. I ate Camaros and Chevelles out of the gate, and watched them drive by at the 1000 foot. There was no beating the 67-70 General big block line up, my best race was against a '69 Chevelle SS 396/375, supposedly "bone stock," and I was jubliant over loosing by a parking light.

Mopar may have had a kick azz engine in the 426 Hemi, but the rest of the car was *****, and that took it's toll. The last factory 426 I saw, came in a '70 Dodge Challenger T/A, shaker scoop and all. By then, Mopar was also disappointed with their 3rd place standing, and everything went into 340 and 440 engines, with lots of tape stripes, wings, and odd ball theme schemes, like the Superbird, Daytona, Road Runner, Super Bee and the infamous Norm built 440 GTS Dart. I sold the hemi car and went shopping with the General, and never looked back. By 1971, Mopars were cutesy products with little real go.

The reason a true Hemi car holds such great value today, is because it's rare. Not many produced because not many favored the cars it came in. Even while working for Norm, every Hemi car came off the factory truck one way, and everything was street legal.

Yes, it was a great car in automotive history, in terms of brute force. But at the hobby-street race-consumer level, it was not a winner. Today, it's a name tag with a glorious history built by the big name racers. But in any trim on the street, it could never beat a supercharged MM. In fact, I'd speculate that a N/A MM with juice, will eat it at the top end...IMHO.

Just my .02c...

martyo
04-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Gee, and my dealer said I can't return my Durango. Now what am I gonna do?

gpfarrell
04-20-2004, 10:16 AM
"Not trying to split the atom here.":)

Well put... me neither... sorry if it sounded that way. How'd Rick Long say it... "Maruader good. Hemi good Me buy Marauder"?

I didn't realize you were comparing an engine (the Hemi) to a car (the MM).

If we go engine -to- engine... lets put the 4.6 in Mercury Bobcat! Just kidding.

As the good Sarge seemed to indicate, Hemis can have good days and bad days, so saying a Hemi "Would kick the ... of any blown Marauder" seemed a bit broad to me... again, sorry if I sound like I'm splittin' atoms.

BTW, loved the first-hand description of Hemis back-in-day... this community has no shortage of experience!!!

G.

PS... Maybe we need to start a "Wildest car I ever drove" tread in the Lounge... can't imagine how many stories are out there.

Smokie
04-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Sarge: You are right, the cars were crap, your 4.88's too tall, no top end....so true!!! The 4.11's were a better choice, the engine needed no help from gears to launch.

gpfarrell: I sometimes get a little nostalgic remembering the high school days and the cars me and my friends drove, it seems me and most of my friends had Mopar crap cars, the 340, 426 and 440 six pack were not crap engines they just happened to be bolted to very cheap cars.

I love my Marauder and I believe what has been accomplished by adding a s/c to a 281 cubic inch engine in a 4200 pound car to get this car in the high 11's and still street legal, comfortable family car is an amazing feat of engineering.... I just have fond memories of Mopar and my youth....especially my youth.:beer:

Men I almost forgot, around 1971, I was passenger in my friends 440 6 pack, racing a Camaro, I think it had a 396, anyway we were winning up to 110 mph when something came flying thru the hood of my friends car and we sort of lost...if you know what I mean....no top end.:bigcry:

RCSignals
04-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Mac is not wrong.
A good friend of mine here was a Mopar dealer back then. He says they really didn't sell too many Hemi equipped cars, and rarely ordered them for stock. Most people didn't want them, and they often sat on the lot for a long time.
For himself he preferred a 440 six pack.

It also wasn't the just the cars that were bad. At a recent swap meet a friend and I ran across a huge supply of factory Hemi rods. (he's into hemis) These were all the same part number, all the same casting number. They are the crudest looking rods I've ever seen. They also were not all the same length from pin centre to pin centre, and they are for the same application! Just terrible stuff.

Cobra25
04-20-2004, 02:25 PM
I've driven one before I purchased my Marauder. It is a really nice truck but I wasn't impressed with the power at all. Since I purchased my Marauder I have raced 2 of them so far and I laughed as I saw them disappear in my rear view.

junehhan
04-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Gee, and my dealer said I can't return my Durango. Now what am I gonna do?

You could always supercharge it. If the wife wants to know where her SUV went, you could tell her it's having some warranty work done. There has got to be a lot of stuff available seeing how this HEMI thing seems to be popular.