PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Cadillac Seville

Breadfan
07-24-2008, 07:20 AM
I've always like the styling of the last Seville (98 - 03) and I know a lot about them, they are pretty solid cars. 4.6l Northstart with 280ish hp.

Anyway, You can get one with about 50k - 60k on the clock, 01 - 03 model year, for just a tick under $10k.

I'm thinking next summer of getting one as a commuter, hopefully for around $6-7k.

Anyone drive one much?

Yeah I could do another MM but I already got one and feel bad beating up a MM on n. va traffic and streets.

I know someone who is big into these cars and has taught me a ton about them, he just sold his older one that was running super strong with 150k, upgraded to a newer one. Some had head gasket issues on the northstar but hear those were worked out by '01 or so.

They also have the 80 series transaxle (FWD) which is a very strong trans. I like the Lincoln Continental as well but kinda fear the trans under those...

Zack
07-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Before you buy the car, look up what it costs to replace the starter if it ever goes out :eek:

RoyLPita
07-24-2008, 07:36 AM
I've heard other horror stories but I do not know if they apply to those years. I'll keep you posted.

Breadfan
07-24-2008, 07:40 AM
A quick google on the starter, something about it being under the intake manifold, heh...

I think the main issues otherwise are head gaskets and there was a recall on the fuel rails which would leak, that's what i seem to recall hearing.

TiTo35
07-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I always liked Cadillacs...but Northstars are Iffy. My buddies live and die by Cadillacs, but they also went thru a FEW of them. My dad and his friends have/ had about 2 or 3 of them. They are nice, luxurious and swift. They are not really high maintenance, but around 100k gaskets go easy. I know that for a fact. Most caddys are best bought from an auction... :twocents:

gmtech
07-24-2008, 03:44 PM
been working on caddies for 5 yrs now...head gaskets at higher mileage, rack and pinion at higher mileage, starter is easy can be done in 1.5 hours, water pumps every 30k, intake and throttle body gaskets every 60k, the biggest problem with the northstar is oil leaks, the oil pan leaks and is costly to repair but the grand daddy of them all is the "case half" gaskets, do these alot pays 17 hours under warranty, remove cradle and trans, oil pan ,front cover, everything comes off...the block is actually 2 pieces and splits where the main bearings sit "main bore" this gasket is known for leaking..everything comes out crank, bearings, rods disconnected , its a big job, i normally get close to 25 hours under customer pay, the other thing is every time the heads are removed for gasket replacement you must repair every thread for the head bolts with a timesert kit....i personally wouldnt own one but every car has its problems:D

ImpalaSlayer
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
didnt know that the cases split liek that. thats pretty neat. just like continentals and lycomings

Spectragod
07-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I bought a DTS new in 02', sold it in 07' with 23K on it, why were the miles so low you ask....... because the piece of ***** spent nearly all it's life getting repaired, I will never buy another Cadillac as long as I live, but FWIW, when it did run, it rode and drove great.

Green96
07-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I purchased my mother-in-laws 97 STS from her estate after she died (because the price was right). It had already had the steering rack replaced, the bakes sucked, the AC compressor rattled, the suspension was shot ($1,000+ just for new shocks not including install). In short, one of the biggest pieces of ***** I have ever owned. Traded it in 4 months later for more than I had in it (like I said the price was right). Now it is someone elses ~65K mile problem. Did I mention the awfull torque steer when you put your foot in it.

finster101
07-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Well I've been working at a Caddy dealership for about 5 years now and I love them. Yes the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Northstars had some problems with what was commonly mi-diagnosed as head gaskets. The threads wpuld pull out of the block and need to be timeserted. If the timesert job is done properly the problem should never return. I hava a 97 STS with 107K that was serted at 40k along with a half case reseal at the same time. It runs great and does not leak oil. Personally I would tack one over a Towncar any day. My MM is my first and most likely my last Ford product. The Ford/Mercury dealer here sucks and the handling of my warranty issues was far less than stellar. Look for a nice "Certified Preowned" unit the warranty is excellent.

Mike Poore
07-27-2008, 04:41 AM
I gave you the reason(s) why I bought the Town Car. Those are a great buy; plentiful, reliable, and most of all CHEAP. :)

Bradley G
07-27-2008, 04:51 AM
I would avoid a high mile used Caddy for a DD.
The parts are more than they will be for a Panther,
And you will be replacing them more often.

max454
07-27-2008, 06:52 AM
been working on caddies for 5 yrs now...head gaskets at higher mileage, rack and pinion at higher mileage, starter is easy can be done in 1.5 hours, water pumps every 30k, intake and throttle body gaskets every 60k, the biggest problem with the northstar is oil leaks, the oil pan leaks and is costly to repair but the grand daddy of them all is the "case half" gaskets, do these alot pays 17 hours under warranty, remove cradle and trans, oil pan ,front cover, everything comes off...the block is actually 2 pieces and splits where the main bearings sit "main bore" this gasket is known for leaking..everything comes out crank, bearings, rods disconnected , its a big job, i normally get close to 25 hours under customer pay, the other thing is every time the heads are removed for gasket replacement you must repair every thread for the head bolts with a timesert kit....i personally wouldnt own one but every car has its problems:D

Tell me, is the older 4.9 prone to the same problem? i would guess yes since it is the ancestor of the northstar , just saying cause i bought a deville 92 for the winter, it is very clean and well maintained and most of all, everything works !
BUT , guess what, it started trowing up oil somewhere around the pullies , its going on the belt and the front of the motor, my first tought was the main bearing oilseal , but now you got me scared!
Your input would be welcomed. :confused:

Aren Jay
07-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Two door fun with problem engines.