PDA

View Full Version : Triple-A (AAA)?

Breadfan
07-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Anyone here have or had AAA service and can you please comment on it?

I think with the Plus service you get free towing up to 100 miles, and 4 free calls per year. So does that mean one can get up to four free 100 miles tows?

What is the price for Plus? I couldn't find it on their site and didn't want to send my info just to see a price.

I don't plan on needing that many tows, but lately I've been playing around with older high mileage cars. My Mustang has 205,000 miles and I commute in it sometimes. I'm also messing with my folks old Suburban with 170k on the clock.

Do you feel it's worth the money per year for the service. Keep in mind I do 98% of my own work, only thing I really don't like doing is exhaust on jackstands.

Also if I bought an old junker that had to be towed, say something really chaep to work on/play with, could I use my AAA to have it towed home once I bought it?

Haggis
07-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Mike AAA+ you get 4 tows (one per incident) up to 100 miles each. It costs about $135 for the two of us per year. I would not do with out it, it has saved my a$$ more then one occassion. They also provide free gas, if you run out and will change your flat for you.

fastblackmerc
07-24-2008, 08:13 AM
By all means get AAA+. We got it when our daughter went away to school and it's been a godsend.

Breadfan
07-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Cool, I know someone with it who swears by it and spent a few hours over the weekend convincing me to get it. My commute will be getting longer in a few weeks and that mixed with wanting to commute in beaters is making me feel it's worth the peace of mind.

Egon Spengler
07-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Love it... $40 a year and it has paid for itself and then some!!! Just renewed last night actually!

MM03MOK
07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
$75 per year for the first household member for Plus. It's worth it for peace of mind. Travel books and maps are free. Free travelers cheques. Hertz discounts, other discount admissions. Higher bond money available too.....you never know when you'll need that! ;)

TAKEDOWN
07-24-2008, 10:37 AM
The few times I have used AAA I had no problems with them.

sd8683
07-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong.... But I believe you get an insurance discount too, that might be just in mass though??

Breadfan
07-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Awesome I was expecting $150/year just for me, sounds like it will be cheaper...I'm gonna sign up!

Rocknthehawk
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong.... But I believe you get an insurance discount too, that might be just in mass though??

Yeah in MA you do...

$40 a year for me, and i've used it 8 or 9 times in the last three years.

The day i bought my second truck, on the drive home, the motor blew up. I was about 60-70 miles from home. I called AAA, and had it towed home free of charge...at about 1 in the morning.

It's worth every penny.

and, it covers anyone. As long as the cardholder is present, you can use it. I had a friend lock her keys in her truck once...so i used my card, and they sent out a tow truck to jimmy it.

Bobmiddle
07-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Great service I have let a couple co-workers use it when they locked there keys in there car.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
You guys do realize that AAA is also a lobbyist group that favors lowered speed limits and stuff like that right?

TiTo35
07-24-2008, 12:07 PM
YES!!! AAA is a the best! I have had it for as long I has been driving...They do give you 4 tows...and 4 "incident" calls a year. 100 free miles, fast service and they are reliable. If you have a chance to get it, get it...

Bigdogjim
07-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Don't leave home with out it:) :up:

Bigdogjim
07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
You guys do realize that AAA is also a lobbyist group that favors lowered speed limits and stuff like that right?

From what I see almost everyday on the highway it would not hurt to s-l-o-w down a bit:)

Aren Jay
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
I have AMA (Alberta Motor Association) which is part of the CAA (Candian Automobile Association) and linked to the AAA.

I have 1 200 mile tow a year a couple 100 mile tows and several local tows each year. Plus two day car rental and several other things. Medical coverage etc...

I pay $90 a year and can second card it for another $20.

TiTo35
07-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Who goes the speed limit?! :burnout:

larryo340
07-24-2008, 02:43 PM
:hmmm: There are speed limits ??.....when did that happen? ;)

Aren Jay
07-24-2008, 02:53 PM

I do. 4567890

hot-rauder
07-24-2008, 03:44 PM

and this affects me how? they dont tell me that since i was speeding yesteray that they wont tow me today. they have saved my wallet plenty of times.

that is a stupid reason not to get it.

Blk Mamba
07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I have towed for "AAA" in the past, and I feel that of the 4 or 5 major automobile clubs, AAA pays the best, also offer the best value, and service.

Ms. Denmark
07-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Besides reliable road service, I like all the travel planning services available from AAA. Used them to help plan our Alaskan cruise last summer and for my trip to DC a couple weeks ago. The travel guide books and maps are useful and free with membership. Haven't had to call them in connection with my Marauder but it's nice to know they'll be there if I need them.:)

teamrope
07-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Been using it for years. I almost ran out of calls this year from locking my keys in my other vehicles. :o

Spectragod
07-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I had them tow me on Christmas Eve about 10 years ago, 96 miles from home, 8PM Christmas Eve..... pretty much saved the evening. Highly recommended!!

Hotrauder
07-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Just once sitting broken down in the pitch black on the side of the interstate at O'dark thirty with no real idea where in the hell you are will convince you that AAA is a great buy. I have never had anything but great service from them. :) Dennis

duhtroll
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I work in a small town 25 miles from my hometown. This town is large enough to have a tow service and a few mechanics. When I got stranded one night with my car just outside this town (prior to owning MM) I was told by AAA that they did not serve this small town and I should "make my own arrangements" and they would reimburse me.

If I wanted to "make my own arrangements" I wouldn't have had their service in the first place. So I promptly cancelled after receving no help from them at 11:30 PM nor any concession after the fact when I called to complain.

So now I use roadside assistance through my car insurance. Know what? They use the same list of vendors that AAA does -- the service told me this, except that they also service areas AAA wouldn't reach. There is no printed limit on the number of times I can use the service. My wife and I have used it three times this past year - once for her flat tire and twice for me getting stuck because of ice this past winter (with the Crown Vic - not the MM)

The cost? $7 per 6 months, per vehicle. And my insurance is much cheaper than AAA could offer.

Y'all do what you like, but I'm happy with Progressive.

knine
07-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Every tow company friend I've ever had hates 'em. They like to change the rules half way thru (Oh, we only pay when there's a car loaded on your truck, so we are only paying one way on that 200 mile tow). I started a shift, found a disabled car, they said they were O.K., they called tripple a. I said I would check back on them in a few hours. 5 hours later they were still waiting. :cheesed:

Peace2Peep
07-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I know it may sound crazy but I got AAA plus, Geico towing, and towing with my cell phone carrier AT&T. I dont want to be stranded and EVER have to come out of my pocket! AAA=$120 year Geico=$35 a year AT&T=$3 a month Never being told to pay a tow truck driver? PRICELESS!!!

I never run out of tows and AAA saves me a min of 10% EVERYTIME(Which is 100+ nights a year) I stay in a hotel...pays for itself!

hot-rauder
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Every tow company friend I've ever had hates 'em. They like to change the rules half way thru (Oh, we only pay when there's a car loaded on your truck, so we are only paying one way on that 200 mile tow). I started a shift, found a disabled car, they said they were O.K., they called tripple a. I said I would check back on them in a few hours. 5 hours later they were still waiting. :cheesed:

must have been a one time deal tiype of shortage.... i have used them over 10 times and never ahs it taken longer than an hour to get my tow there. maybe its the company they always call first around here.

Stroszek
07-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I had them years ago and they were great living in a larger town. I dropped them after moving to the schticks after receiving the worst kind of service time and time again. When I lived in Dayton, I knew people that towed for them and they always moved you up on their list when you called. If it was a AAA tow, they were on it!

LVMarauder
07-26-2008, 03:57 PM
IMO AAA is worth its weight in Gold times ten. It's saved my butt a couple of times less the embarassment of running out of gas. They will always get to you where ever you are too.

duhtroll
07-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Or not, as proven above . . .

IMO AAA is worth its weight in Gold times ten. It's saved my butt a couple of times less the embarassment of running out of gas. They will always get to you where ever you are too.

knine
07-26-2008, 08:26 PM
I had them years ago and they were great living in a larger town. I dropped them after moving to the schticks after receiving the worst kind of service time and time again.
^^^^^There's the problem !!! I live in the schticks !!! :lol:

MinnesotaMuscle
07-26-2008, 09:26 PM
This is good info guys, never understood the whole AAA and how it worked...Dang could have used it a few times last winter! Will be signing up promptly!