PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd Stop By...

woaface
07-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey all! Looks like I only venture on here once every 6 months or so but I found out this is one of the few forums I can access from my government computer at work. They have pretty strong filters here and what I can see is pretty limited. I was surprised to access this but then again there isn't the word "Forum" in the URL.

With gas prices the way they are (About $4.50-$4.60 here) I'm pretty content with the 4-cylinder Mazda 3 I purchased back in January. Being over here doesn't help because when I want to travel the gas off base is about $8 a gallon. It's pretty much a Ford anyways...I find "FOMOCO" stamps all over the place. It has just enough space and gets good gas mileage and is a hoot to drive. I don't think I'll force feed it, just some bolt on's here and there and the occasional autocross or such.

I bought a dog back in April, a full blood White German Shepherd female. She's roughly 50 pounds already and she's not quite 6 months old. She's really smart and very obedient. She eats like a freakin' monster and is growing just as fast.

My wife and I have seen a couple places so far, Cologne, Trier, Amsterdam, Brussels and I've been down through the Alps all the way to Aviano and Rome. Munich for Octoberfest is next on our list and then Garmish and/or Switzerland for Christmas.

Other than that I'm just loving life and having fun (And keeping my hair way shorter than what everyone saw at MVII.) I got to hang out with Keith (NavChap) a couple of months ago when he was visiting Landsthul Medical. We went out for ice cream and had a good time.

I'll keep posting and checking in as often as I can. Hope all is well and I'd love to hear from everyone.

-James

Bluerauder
07-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Nice to hear from you again, James. Sounds like you are having fun. You ought to be due to come back to the States soon, right? And when did you get married .... did I miss a post somewhere?

You should consider Nuremburg for the Christkindlmarkt during the holidays.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is very nice if you can swing a ski-week trip.
Berchtesgaden is also a very good destination trip any time of the year.
Don't forget Heidelberg "Burning of the Castle" during the summer weekends.

Stay safe and enjoy --- "Aim High" :2thumbs:

woaface
07-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Because of the wedding I was extended 12 months (unaccompanied vs accompanied tours..24 and 36 months respectively.)

I am not due to return stateside until April 2010 (vs 2009) and I am up on my enlistment 6 months afterwards. If I do not reenlist or extend 1 year they will keep me at Ramstein until October 2010 (pointless to PCS with 6 months to go) but I'm thinking of extending 12 months and staying overseas...maybe Japan or something? Who knows I have a while to figure it out.

I got married March 1st of this year, I think there's a post about it somewhere but I don't remember?! I know I posted up about the engagement somewhere...er...

Ms. Denmark
07-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Congrats on the new dog and new wife! Basically does a man need anything more to make life perfect? Big smile!! Sounds like you're making the most of your time overseas. Enjoy every minute and take good care of each other!

teamrope
07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Congrats on the ball and chain James. I bet Germany has changed a lot in the last 15 years.

It's kind of funny, I was just thinking about you this morning for some reason and come home from work to this post. :)

cruzer
07-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Sure is nice to hear from you--so you tied the knot--well, Ginny and mine has lasted 55 years, so there is hope:) I didn't get to spend as much time in Germany as I would have liked--spent a few weeks in Frankfort and Munich in '51-'52. I agree, the countryside is beautiful. Have you taken the Rhine River Cruise--don't miss it. Wishing you all the best and a safe return when you are ready. Say "Hi" to your Dad for me. Maury

Marauderman
07-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Absolutely amazing---since Ms M and I first met you at 16 as a wild and crazy guy/driver----and your first ride in a S/C MM-----I am also proud of you and what you have done in a short 5 years since then---and now married--WOW!--

Glad your keep us up to date --cause you can check in here and get caught up so to speak -----Great hearing from you--Tom

knine
07-26-2008, 08:29 PM
What's the dog's name? We had a female white german shepard before, her name was
Schneeweihnachten (German for snow christmas). We just called her "Schnee", otherwise I got an odd look from the neighbors when I ran down the road yelling "Schneeweihnachten". Come to think of it, I should have re-named my Dalmatian "Arson" to something else......

I think my next dog's name will be "Bloody Murder".

CRUZTAKER
07-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Good to hear from you James...sounds as if you are growing up.:D

You have come a long way since hot-lapping my car in 3rd around the entire Indianopolis out belt! :P

jgc61sr2002
07-27-2008, 08:49 AM
James - Very nice to hear from you.:D
Congrats and Best Wishes.

woaface
07-27-2008, 01:58 PM
My dog's name is Eicka, I have no clue what it means but we kept it.

Barry, your car has come a really long way since I last saw it. Damn!

I'll try and get pictures of the family life up here as soon as I can so everyone can get an eye on what's up.

FordNut
07-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Good to hear from you. I spent a couple of years in the K-town area (Ramstein). Beautiful area. Make the most of your stay, see some of Europe. I regret spending so much time in the barracks and NCO club instead of getting out and seeing more of the country.

Marauderman
07-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Barry, your car has come a really long way since I last saw it. Damn!

If you think his car has come along way----------you should see and drive my beast...........2nd. motor( built) ..and alot more stuff.....enuff said....

RoyLPita
07-28-2008, 04:09 AM
Thanx for dropping us a line. It is good to hear that things are going well for you over there.

SC Cheesehead
07-28-2008, 04:18 AM
James,

Good to hear from you! Do you think you'll return to Greenville after you complete your military service? Keep posting whenever you can, we all enjoy keeping with with the latest on your end.

Marauderman
07-28-2008, 05:05 AM
James,

Do you think you'll return to Greenville after you complete your military service?

Yeah! That would be cool.......any ideas as yet........prolly kinda earily though--right?

woaface
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
We're trying to return to SC after my service but right now we're looking to moving to Charleston for educational reasons. I miss home a ton though, and I wouldn't want to be too far away.

Marauderman
07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
We're trying to return to SC after my service but right now we're looking to moving to Charleston for educational reasons. I miss home a ton though, and I wouldn't want to be too far away.

Charleston is a great place---was in Air Force there---got married there----yeah--great place--keep us posted....take care my friend... Tom and Kathy

woaface
08-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Charleston is a great place---was in Air Force there---got married there----yeah--great place--keep us posted....take care my friend... Tom and Kathy

I'll keep everyone updated on what's going on and when. Honestly, the weather sucks here and I can't wait to get back home and get some sun!