PDA

View Full Version : Ties

Aren Jay
07-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Ties who likes them and what purpose do they serve?

Personally I'm not a necktie person. But my Dad was as are almost all business people.

What purpose do they serve, other than getting in the way?

Yes shirts are now made with ties in mind, but if we didn't have ties, we wouldn't make shirts that way.

So what good are ties?

Egon Spengler
07-28-2008, 10:15 AM
wow... I am never opeing up another thread from you again! lol

Although I am 25 and all the ties I wear if I ever wear a tie have been pre tied by my father and I just keep slipping it over my head

I know... pathetic

SC Cheesehead
07-28-2008, 10:18 AM

Personally I'm not a necktie person. But my Dad was as are almost all business people.

Yes shirts are now made with ties in mind, but if we didn't have ties, we wouldn't make shirts that way.

So what good are ties?

Most of mine have food stains on them, which leads me to believe they're designed to keep you from soiling your shirt.;)

Haggis
07-28-2008, 10:19 AM
They make good sweat bands on the hot humid days of summer.

Bigdogjim
07-28-2008, 10:20 AM
What is a "tie"

duhtroll
07-28-2008, 10:32 AM
The ships the bad guys flew in Star Wars?

What is a "tie"

larryo340
07-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't think you should ever be in the same room alone with a tie. Could be dangerous :D

94five0
07-28-2008, 02:55 PM
i like thai..i prefer chinese

Mike Poore
07-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Ever been on a hot date with an exciting woman who likes you to tie her up and do kinky stuff?

Well, there, y'go...:D

SC Cheesehead
07-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Ever been on a hot date with an exciting woman who likes you to tie her up and do kinky stuff?

Where you been hanging out, bubba? Sounds like some place I need to check out.:cool4:

Haggis
07-29-2008, 11:22 AM

TMI.....:puke:

SC Cheesehead
07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
TMI.....:puke:

TMI??? Heck, not ENOUGH information!:lol:

Bluerauder
07-29-2008, 01:28 PM

So what good are ties?
I have been wearing ties since I was 6 years old. I wore them through elementary school and high school. I wore one for the first year of college -- then the casual 60's caught up. I wore them in military dress uniform for more than 20 years. Now I wear one at work. Not a big deal for me. I can be comfortable with or without a tie, in a suit, in jeans and a T-Shirt. Whatever. :D I just don't do nekkid good .... tried that in Europe ... :o

Neckties today basically serve to add color to typical business suit attire. Basically it is a fashion statement to allow a bit of individuality in a sea of gray, blue, and charcoal business suits. Neckties date back to King Louis XIV in France in the mid 1700's. He saw that Croatian soldiers wore neck scarves as a form of unit identification -- and liked them. So there is a military connection. Schools and sports clubs in England adopted ties with their school or club color. The modern tie was born in the 1920s. Widths have changed over time.

Aren Jay
07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
All true, but I'm wondering should we get a Marauder tie made available in DBP DTR BLK or SB?

it would have to have a special design without the Words Marauder or the like so that we who know, would know but those who do not would not. Like those special regimental ties or other organizations.

What do you think?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/9/8/3/MarauderRainbowties.JPG

Bluerauder
07-30-2008, 03:46 AM
What do you think?
That's a little "loud" for my taste with the yellow "M". Maybe something more subtle with smaller blocks (1/2 inch or so) containing the "God's Head" centered in each of the color squares. I'd wear it. :D

RoyLPita
07-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Driving a manual trannied car and tieing a tie are 2 things that do not come with instructions. Needless to say, I learned the former but not the latter.

Blackmobile
07-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Driving a manual trannied car and tieing a tie are 2 things that do not come with instructions. Needless to say, I learned the former but not the latter.

Hey,I learned out of my old Cub Scout servival manual, do you want to borrow it, if I can still find it?

ParkRanger
07-30-2008, 08:31 AM
I have been wearing ties since I was 6 years old. I wore them through elementary school and high school. I wore one for the first year of college -- then the casual 60's caught up. I wore them in military dress uniform for more than 20 years. Now I wear one at work. Not a big deal for me. I can be comfortable with or without a tie, in a suit, in jeans and a T-Shirt. Whatever. :D I just don't do nekkid good .... tried that in Europe ... :o

Neckties today basically serve to add color to typical business suit attire. Basically it is a fashion statement to allow a bit of individuality in a sea of gray, blue, and charcoal business suits. Neckties date back to King Louis XIV in France in the mid 1700's. He saw that Croatian soldiers wore neck scarves as a form of unit identification -- and liked them. So there is a military connection. Schools and sports clubs in England adopted ties with their school or club color. The modern tie was born in the 1920s. Widths have changed over time.

Right you are.
Most people don't know how to wear one - especially bad knots; too short or too long; clashing patterns or colors.
Nothing sez you mean business than wearing a neat suit/jacket with a clean crisp shirt and a properly tied tie that is compatible with the shirt/jacket.
Especially business with the ladies! If you think your casual clothes are cool and appropriate - think again - most sharp women admire men classicly dressed and the key is - the proper tie - like catnip to a cat!

PR :burnout:

LordVader
07-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Right you are.
Most people don't know how to wear one - especially bad knots; too short or too long; clashing patterns or colors.
Nothing sez you mean business than wearing a neat suit/jacket with a clean crisp shirt and a properly tied tie that is compatible with the shirt/jacket.
Especially business with the ladies! If you think your casual clothes are cool and appropriate - think again - most sharp women admire men classicly dressed and the key is - the proper tie - like catnip to a cat!

PR :burnout:
You too are right on the button. Wearing the right size tie with the right type of collar can change the look of the suit entirely. You can alway tell someone who doesn't wear a tie very often...they look like someone put a hangman's noose around their neck.