PDA

View Full Version : I saved someones life tonight

Motorhead350
07-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I didn't think the day would come where I was actually doing good for this world, but it happened tonight.

I was driving back to Chicago from Indiana when I go to make my usual left turn onto a street that leads to US 20. Right before I make the turn I thought I saw a box in the middle of the road and it turns out it was a person. The guy just had a motor cycle accident and I was the first on the scene. His bike was a green crotch rocket and it was knocked facing east bound, but it wasn't damaged too bad. The windshild was broken (probably from the fall) and speed-o-meter was in the middle of the road, but the most damage seemed to be on top of the gas tank. :confused: I have no idea how the damage was on top of the tank as suppose to the side.

Before I even get out of the Marauder I call 911 because I cannot look at gore so I had no idea what to expect. I got out of the car just to find out what the street was called that we were on and then I saw the guy. He was lying on his left side with blood coming out of the left side of his head and more coming out of his mouth. I didn't think for a second he was dead, but when he heard me he started moaning like Frankinstien. Just as I noticed he was awake a car was coming towards us (keep in mind the speed limit is 55 on this road) and I started waving to slow down... nothing, I yell "STOP!!!" still nothing and than I move into the street about half way into the lane and wave and finally they used the brakes. They didn't screach, but they didn't notice the guy until they got out of the car... if I didn't wave them down to stop this guy would have been run over and for sure would have been dead.

When the people got out of the car the passenger was actually a local nurse so she got over to the guy and knew what do to. At that point he started speaking.... "Help me.... what just happened???" The guy started to get up by pushing off the ground and using his legs to get up, but the nurse told him not to move, yet did not touch him... no one touched him. Several cars started stopping and one even had a blanket and covered the guy.

My Marauder was sitting the middle of the road in the turning lane with the strobes going until the first cop car came and soon as I saw it I turned the flashers off, luckly it was coming from behind the Marauder. The cop gets out of the car with a lite cigarette in his mouth, takes his time walking to the guy and blows the smoke in his face before asking "Are you okay?" :mad: Just like in the movie man, seems like the this cop really didn't care or realise how bad this situation was.

I didn't leave until about 6 cop cars and 3 ambulances showed up. I said what I saw which wasn't much, gave my number and parted. I thought I saw the truck that hit him because before I found the guy I saw a truck coming towards me doing about 15-20mph and it never stopped. Later I got a call saying they found the car that hit the guy... turns out he was in a parking lot a few 100 yards away, so it wasn't a hit and run and I was happy to hear that, but when I asked how the guy was they said "20-80 with a 20 for the living part. He's so bad he's being flown into Chicago."

The really sad thing is this: I had plans tonight to race someone and I delayed that to save this guy, when I went to tell my buddy I was going to be late because I had to call 911 for this guy my buddy said I should have just drove around him. Another guy said the same thing soon as I got back to Chicago. He said he wouldn't want to get sued for helping someone by touching him. I asked what if you were the only guy there, it was dark and you just called for help? He said no, cops will ask questions, I might have to go to court to explain what happened... I'm thinking wow. I guess I'm one of the few who would call for help, let alone jump in front of a moving car.

What a world. Never thought I would actually see someone in the need or came that close to witnessing death. I guess it's fun in the movies, but when it really happens it's quite a shocker.

justbob
07-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Gore in real life freaks me out. See enough of it and don't need to see no more. Cool you were there, i wouldn't ever hesitate to stop. My luck it would be a car jacking/mugging. I've always been the sucker, but i have also saved a life, so i could only hope the favor would be passed on. Now after all that reading on your post i definately have to shut my eyes and go to bed. 4:30 is coming quick.

knine
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
The really sad thing is this: I had plans tonight to race someone and I delayed that to save this guy, when I went to tell my buddy I was going to be late because I had to call 911 for this guy my buddy said I should have just drove around him. Another guy said the same thing soon as I got back to Chicago. He said he wouldn't want to get sued for helping someone by touching him.

This is Karma. You were stopped from racing tonight for a reason. Nice job on the save. E.

freakstatus
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
You did the right thing. :beer:

usabodyguard
07-29-2008, 12:09 AM
you can NOT be successfully sued for trying to help someone in need... it is called the good Samaritan Law...

I have done CPR before a few times on people... first guy was dead for 5-7 minutes... i proceeded to do chest compressions and during the first minute i broke all of his ribs (very common)... after 35 minutes of 2 person CPR (i used to be an EMT), several d-fib blasts and copious amounts an EP... we got a HR back while transporting him into the ER... guy actually lived!

BTW - AWESOME JOB!

LVMarauder
07-29-2008, 02:44 AM
you can NOT be successfully sued for trying to help someone in need... it is called the good Samaritan Law...
BTW - AWESOME JOB!

I agree Dom, you did the right thing and did what a decent human being should do. With that said I have to say, as a law student, that people get sued SUCCESFULLY all the time for aggrevating injuries on complete strangers ( i.e. broken spinal cords, punctured lungs, skull fractures, uncontrolled bleeding, etc) and that your friend may have been right to call it in and be on your way, in a legal sense, at least here in Nevada. Personal Injury takes up 45% of our civil procedings, its rediculous.
BodyGuard likely has an exemption as a former/current EMT/CPR/First Aid certified first responder. A civilian does not. Your Karma has undoubtedly been granted a significant boost, and who knows you could have blown a tire while racing and this saved you from it. Good work.

p.s. The police said nothing about the strobes? I have often thought about what would happen when using them in an emergency.

Mike Poore
07-29-2008, 03:13 AM
You did it exactly right, Dom.

Your stock just took another big jump in this household. :trophy1::trophy1:

Bluerauder
07-29-2008, 04:16 AM
Hope the guy pulls through this OK. Ya done good, Dom -- you called to get police and rescue on the way and protected the site to make sure other traffic was aware of the situation. :2thumbs:

rayjay
07-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Hope the guy pulls through this OK. Ya done good, Dom -- you called to get police and rescue on the way and protected the site to make sure other traffic was aware of the situation. :2thumbs:

+1, but get a flashlight so you don't have to walk out into traffic.

1of327
07-29-2008, 06:43 AM
This story makes me have some much needed faith in this land of selfish, self-absorbed, heartless humans...Good job Dom...

Merc220A
07-29-2008, 07:41 AM
WOW....you did the right thing! You are a good man!!!

Jolly Roger
07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
If anything like that (accident) ever happens to me,
I hope that you are the one that comes along,
not one of your butt-hole buddies.

cruzer
07-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Dom, you most assuradly did the right thing--a human life is a pecious thing and you did everything you could do--sleep well, my friend. We're proud to know you. Maury

ps--what happened to the "Good Samaritan Law"--I had to use it once in New York --and it was correct--I'm confused.

Motorhead350
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
I turned the strobes off just in time. Literally just as the first police car pulled up behind my Marauder and was parallel with it, I cut the lights... that was a close one!

Dr Caleb
07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
This story makes me have some much needed faith in this land of selfish, self-absorbed, heartless humans...Good job Dom...

Most people are generally the good sort. It's the others that tend to wane our faith.

We see here when crunch time comes Dom does what it right, not what is easy.

Good job Dom! And it is Karma that a potential organ donor delayed your race. I gave up the adrenalin junkie stuff when a drunken motorcyclist laid down his bike in front of my car, and went under it. And his passenger. Nasty mess, that was.

ctrlraven
07-29-2008, 11:22 AM
You did the right thing Dom which is a very rare thing nowadays. A lot of people don't look beyond their own two feet, you may have just saved his family from burying their son, brother, or father.

Haggis
07-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Just another speed-bump on the highway of life.

MinnesotaMuscle
07-29-2008, 11:35 AM
[quote=LVMarauder;640381] With that said I have to say, as a law student, that people get sued SUCCESFULLY all the time for aggrevating injuries on complete strangers ( i.e. broken spinal cords, punctured lungs, skull fractures, uncontrolled bleeding, etc) and that your friend may have been right to call it in and be on your way, in a legal sense, at least here in Nevada. Personal Injury takes up 45% of our civil procedings, its rediculous.
BodyGuard likely has an exemption as a former/current EMT/CPR/First Aid certified first responder. A civilian does not.

Dude, you couldn't be more wrong......actually everything you said is the total opposite. BTW I am and licensed Law Enforcement Officer and EMT. Dom was exempt from any wrong doing as long as he didn't grossly cause harm to the patient, which he didn't nor have I ever herd of anyone doing....

And as BodyGuard goes he IS NOT exempt because he has the proper training. The Courts look at it as the person can only be held accountable so as far as his training will allow. Therefore the Courts don't expect a common citizen like Dom to be trained in the latest techniques of medical care therefore he can't be held too those standards. That is where the "Good Samaritan Law" applies. As long as he didn't act grossly negligent he is fine. Now if BodyGuard did something and caused un-due harm, then the Prosicution could show that he had training and acted negligently...

Next time Dom knock some sence into your friend, anyone who wouldn't stop to help a fellow man deserves at the very least a shot to the chops!:shake:

ctrlraven
07-29-2008, 12:13 PM
That is where the "Good Samaritan Law" applies. As long as he didn't act grossly negligent he is fine. Now if BodyGuard did something and caused un-due harm, then the Prosicution could show that he had training and acted negligently...

Next time Dom knock some sence into your friend, anyone who wouldn't stop to help a fellow man deserves at the very least a shot to the chops!:shake:

My mom used to delivery newspaper when I was a kid and I don't know how many times she came across accidents where she would help out. She had been a RN before and kept up with her first aid classes. She told me about the "Good Samaritan Law" when I started driving just in case I ever came across someone that needed help. I carry a EMT supplies bag in my car all the time. Not cause I'm an EMT which I'm not but I certified in basic first aid and there have been times when I have stopped at an accident and there just happened to be a EMT or paramedic on site while being off-duty and did not have any supplies or gear so it came in very handy.

As far as doing anything, I would only put pressure on a gushing wound, tell the person to stay still and not to move and keep them talking, asking questions.

When I was hit by a drunk driver a few years ago I got knocked on the head pretty good and someone pulled over on my side of the highway, they didn't touch me but they talked me into sitting down and trying to stay calm until help arrived. Never got to say thank you to the guy though he didn't have to stop but I'm glad he did.

sd8683
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Gore in real life freaks me out. See enough of it and don't need to see no more. Cool you were there, i wouldn't ever hesitate to stop. My luck it would be a car jacking/mugging. I've always been the sucker, but i have also saved a life, so i could only hope the favor would be passed on. Now after all that reading on your post i definately have to shut my eyes and go to bed. 4:30 is coming quick.

Gore freaks me out also, I'm dreading the day I get the call (I work for the railroad) that somebody has been struck by a train, just this afternoon I heard a call over the radio that a suicidal woman was on a platform at a station in my area, my heart sank, not too long after the radio call I heard the dispatcher say the police had the woman in custody, thank god, believe it or not the commuter rail engineers in Massachusetts average's two fatalities in their 30 year career.

Scary huh

Bigdogjim
07-29-2008, 05:17 PM
And there for the Grace of God goes Dom!!!

Nice job!

lucenti
07-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Thank you Dom! good to hear theres someone out there that cares.

sailsmen
07-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Always good to stop when you can help and it's safe. Otherwise call it in.

I have stopped on many an occasion, including helping an LEO change a tire.

My trunk is full of all manner of supplies from crow bar to first aid kit to fire extinguisher.

We came across a wreck wherein two guys exited the Interstate too fast on bald tires on a damp summer nite. Hit a chain link fence and tree. Fence pole impaled the car. One was thrown and walked a good distance before collpasing. The other was trapped in the Camaro.

A cabby stopped to help the collapsed guy. We tried to help the guy trapped. He kept demanding we get him out. There was a lot of coolant smoke. We tried to pry open the door but could not.

We stood by him until the police arrived.

This was before there were Good Smaritan Laws and the Cabby was hesitant to help because of this.

The reason why so many states passed Good Samaritan Laws is because people were bring sued for helping, particularly Dr, who were held to operating room standards by the courts if they helped.

I have rescued several from drowning, car wrecks and fires. I don't even think about it, I just do it.

Afterwards in some cases looking back I was out of my mind, but I would not hesitate to do it again, if you think or hesitate you should not do it.

Aren Jay
07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
1. Motorcycles are bad.

2. Touching people is bad.

3. Getting blood on you is bad.

4. Call for help, but don't tell the person that help is coming.

5. Tell them to lay still and not to move.

6. Blackets are good, as are fire extinguishers, in case their car or bike is on fire.

7. Give them room and talk to them. Tell them to hang on. Find out who they are etc... if possible.

8. Ask if they are allergic to anything.

9. Relay info to 911 or call them back and relay info.

10. Drive a Marauder, don't ride a motorcycle. Not on the road anyway.

Windsor58
07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Great job. Glad you were there and able and willing to make a difference.

J D
07-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Way to go Dom that's what I'd do, though to be completely honest I'd have jumped back and maybe retreated when he started moaning.

I read to many zombie novels . . .

Motorhead350
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
I just got word on what happened: The guy seems to be doing better and is talking, but still doesn't remember anything. Broken right leg, arm, wrist, skull fracture and I forgot to mention this guy was waring glasses, not a helmit. There was a skid mark 55 feet long on the road that has the speed limit of 55, the guys bike was pretty much homemade out of other bikes to make his own and when they checked the bike out it was still in 5th gear. :eek:

The car he hit was crossing the street and never saw the bike or a light. The police are testing to see if there actually is something to make sure the headlight was working and so far it seems to have been wired up just fine. So it looks like the biker was going very fast, a car was crossing the street and he couldn't stop in time leaving a skid mark 55 feet long before hitting the car.

Looks like I may recieve another call or two, but being that I didn't actually witness anything I don't know if I would be any help, I just saw the aftermath.

TAKEDOWN
07-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Awesome job Dom!

Ken
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
You did Good, Dom!:D

Ken

Taemian
07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
I turned the strobes off just in time. Literally just as the first police car pulled up behind my Marauder and was parallel with it, I cut the lights... that was a close one!

I think the officer may have given you an "out" in this case, but it's a discretionary thing. Bottom line for me is that you prevented further trauma at the scene, and at the same time never represented yourself as a LEO....that's the big part here.

Kudos to you for your actions, Dom. I have assisted professionally AND personally, even having one man die in my arms after I crawled into the wreckage to try and free him. I know the gore factor can be very scary.

That said, you showed courage. "Courage is not the absence if fear, it is acting in spite of your fear."

Another name for reckless motortcycle riders? Organ donors.:rolleyes:

Be safe, Dom.

LVMarauder
07-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Dude, you couldn't be more wrong......actually everything you said is the total opposite. BTW I am and licensed Law Enforcement Officer and EMT. Dom was exempt from any wrong doing as long as he didn't grossly cause harm to the patient, which he didn't nor have I ever herd of anyone doing....

And as BodyGuard goes he IS NOT exempt because he has the proper training. The Courts look at it as the person can only be held accountable so as far as his training will allow. Therefore the Courts don't expect a common citizen like Dom to be trained in the latest techniques of medical care therefore he can't be held too those standards. That is where the "Good Samaritan Law" applies. As long as he didn't act grossly negligent he is fine. Now if BodyGuard did something and caused un-due harm, then the Prosicution could show that he had training and acted negligently...

Next time Dom knock some sence into your friend, anyone who wouldn't stop to help a fellow man deserves at the very least a shot to the chops!:shake:[/QUOTE]

Well thanks for your close and accurate reading of what I initially said. I WAS talking about gross negligence in the first place. And yes you are right, doctors, nurses, LEO's and EMT's like your self are under a higher level of scrutiny than any civilian because they KNOW what to do. You missunderstood what I was trying to say.
My point is that untrained civilians moving a patient can magnify existing injuries to the point of death, i.e. gross neg (usually followed by a law suit from the family), so you can follow my line of reasoning. If you want case citations and settlement verdicts just ask. Flordia has been among the most outragest the last 10 years in this gross neg area.
O and as for "anyone who wouldn't stop to help out a fellow man deserves at the very least a shot to the chops" , I am correct in assuming thats not a threat to me personally , right Dude?

sailsmen
07-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Please edit your first post because it is in direct conflict to your above post.

bigmerc2003
07-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Did the same thing in Joleit IL once, saw a blond blow a red light and cream an older couple in a lincoln. Took the Marauder and blocked off two lanes of traffic on a hill!!! called the medics and police. keep in mind i work for a bank (suit and tie everyday and it was the end of winter so i had my full lenghth trench coat on) so when Joliet PD walks up they have no idea who or what i am! they thought i was an unmarked until they realize its a mercury (they have crowns and impalas), then they think its a cheif! ha what a suprise they thought i was one of them (might as well be everyone in my family is on one department or another) but i tell you what that car demands and get attention! saved those people from getting hit again!

Nice job and way to be a hero Motorhead, more people should be like you!!

Motorhead350
07-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone. If I hear anything else I will post it on the outcome.

LVMarauder
07-31-2008, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the advice Sailsman, But I am student and not a master, I make mistakes and learn by them, I wont delete or mod anything. I know what I know, no ones INTERNET POST will change that.

dreydin
07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
bravo, Dom!

Aren Jay
08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
You should have park on the road in front of the guy and turned your flashers on. Get out of your car and stand on the side of the road waving. Better if your Marauder, yes even a Marauder gets hit than you. Then when the traffic stops, go check the guy out. Call 911 while on the side of the road. Particularly if it is dark.

Anyway Good show young man.

Motorhead350
09-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Just an update. I ran into a police officer at the gas station from the area and he told me the man driving the car was hammered and his girlfriend was sober. On top of that the cop said he was almost sure the guy died the next day. Looks like the driver of the car will be doing some time reguardless. What a world. Another reason for me to stay away from drinking... it kills.