PDA

View Full Version : Future Daily Driver thoughts?

Eric91Z
07-29-2008, 08:23 AM
OK, so I am thinking a couple years down the road I will be replacing the Crown Vic as my daily driver with something that will better fit some life style changes (as in more outdoor activities) and I would like a vehicle that is a little more fitting. Now, one option would be to keep the Crown Vic as the daily commute vehicle and add a used truck or SUV, but I really don't know that I want or could justify having 3 cars being a single guy. That would be the Marauder, Crown vic, and truck/SUV.

So, I have kind of been thinking about what I would replace it with when the time comes. Here are some of the requirements I would have:

- Needs to get at least the gas mileage that the Crown Vic does: 15-17 in town/20-22 on the highway

- Needs to have plenty of space for people and other stuff (primarily camping gear)

- Needs to be able to fit at least a 6' fishing pole without interfering too much in passenger space

- Needs to have a good way to transport bicycles (preferably on a roof rack that is integral to the vehicle)

- Needs to be AWD with some offroad capabilities to get to camping or fishing sites

- Lastly, needs to be able to tow around 4000 pounds or so for pulling a small 18-20 foot fishing or bow rider boat

- Would need to be reliable enough to rack the miles up to the tune of 25,000 miles per year or so and still run well with high mileage on it.

Ok, so those are a lot of things to meet. Below are some of the vehicles I have been looking at. And in regards to some of the brands, I know we all have our personal tastes, so please keep those types of opinions to yourself as I am looking for input based on actual experience and real world use, not just opinions on whether you will buy from one manufacturer or not.

- Honda Ridgeline: rated to tow 5000 pounds, underbed lockable storage area, nicely laid out interior with good room and options, rated for 16/21 mpg

- Honda Pilot: rated to tow 4500 pounds, very nice interior layout and features, plenty of room, rated for 16/22mpg, new '09 model will be a couple years old when I am ready to buy, rear seat entertainment DVD ffor the kid for road trips

- Subaru Outback: would not be able to tow, but meets about every other thing I want nicely, gets better gas mileage than the other options, more of car like handling than SUV/Truck handling, can be quick with the turbo motor (but would require premium fuel all the time)

- Toyota Highlander: Much the same as the Pilot information above, but listed at 5000 pound toy rating. I have plenty of experience with Honda vehicles (thus, why I am looking at them, but none with Toyota)

- Toyota 4Runner: Available V8 4WD with locking-diff, solid rear axle, 7500 pound tow capacity, better looking than the Highlander, skid plates for off-road use, EXPENSIVE - compared to the others, V8 gas mileage below what I would want

- Chevy Trailblazer LT: I-6 rated to tow 6100 pounds with 4WD, decent interior room, good handling, decent looks, lower resale value than the Honda's (means better for the buyer), can the I-6 hold up well with high miles?

So, what do you think? If you were looking for a vehicle to meet those requirements, what would you look at?

ctrlraven
07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you already made your choice, all positive things said about the Ridgeline.

Eric91Z
07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Sounds like you already made your choice, all positive things said about the Ridgeline.

I do like the Ridgeline, but have not found enough real world input on it yet. Also, I have been reading more on the Chevy Trailblazer and it seems like it might be a good option. And for gas mileage guys on the forums say they are getting 15-18 mpg in mixed driving which is what I get in the Crown Vic currently. No loss in gas mileage, more interior space, 4WD/AWWD, towing capacity, etc. That would be nice...

ctrlraven
07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I'd rather push a Honda than drive a Chevy lol.

If your interested in the Outback have you looked at the Subaru Tribeca? I've done some work on a few of them, very nice inside and rides well.
http://www.auto123.com/carmedia/color_0480_032/4163/4163_cc0480_032_5Z.jpg

JAYSILVER04
07-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer is a piece of junk! Clutch fan goes out in all of them before 100k. transfer case blows out of them too. I would stay FAR away from a Trailblazer! The 4Runner is a beast with Toyota reliability! Honda Ridgeline wishes it was a real truck. Its a uni-body for crying out loud!! Me, personally, I would go for a 4Runner or maybe a Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra.

Eric91Z
07-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer is a piece of junk! Clutch fan goes out in all of them before 100k. transfer case blows out of them too. I would stay FAR away from a Trailblazer! The 4Runner is a beast with Toyota reliability! Honda Ridgeline wishes it was a real truck. Its a uni-body for crying out loud!! Me, personally, I would go for a 4Runner or maybe a Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra.

The reading I have been doing on the 4Runner makes it look like the best option in regards to the towing and offroading department of my "needs". Definitely seems to be the others in those regards.

JAYSILVER04
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
If you can't take the gas mileage of the V8 and don't need to tow more than 5000lbs, go with the V6. 236hp 266 lb-ft. of torque and is plenty strong.. Plus, the V6 has 2wd mode. The V8 is full time 4wd with a selectable low range if you need it. I sell these things and I have a bunch of customers who hunt and surf fish and swear by them!! You won't be disappointed with a Toyota.

ctrlraven
07-29-2008, 03:06 PM
If you can't take the gas mileage of the V8 and don't need to tow more than 5000lbs, go with the V6. 236hp 266 lb-ft. of torque and is plenty strong.. Plus, the V6 has 2wd mode. The V8 is full time 4wd with a selectable low range if you need it. I sell these things and I have a bunch of customers who hunt and surf fish and swear by them!! You won't be disappointed with a Toyota.

Oh yeah that's right, good point on that with the V6 engine having the 2wd mode. I'd drive one without question.

Eric91Z
07-29-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the information. That is good to know on the V6/2WD option. And I do like the look of the 4Runner.

Aren Jay
07-29-2008, 07:34 PM
For money savings you might want to pick up a Navigator. Cheaper now than any of these and still has the luxury that the others lack, excells in the towing and off road ability and can carry all your firends, your boat, bikes, camping equipment and fishing stuff. Plus they are going cheap and even though they eat gas, the initial savings you will make when you buy will take decades to spend through gas.

As an alternative, you might want to get a Lightning a trailer and a UTV. UTV's like the Ranger can tow 1500 - 2000+ pounds. Are four wheel drive and can get you and your friends out to the lake or what have you. They fit in the bed of a lightning and can tow your trailer if your boat isn't too big. A Seadoo Jetboat can be used for fishing and if nothing is biting are great for releaving the stress you build up.

JAYSILVER04
07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I just realized you were from central Iowa and probably don't know what surf fishing is. Its when you drive on the beach and fish from the shore. In Delaware, the beaches range from soft sand to EXTREMELY soft sand, and I can attest to the 4Runner's capabilities! I have seen 4Runners pull full sized Dodge's and Chevy's, and the occasional Ford out of the sand because we get some dumb a$$'s from the city that come down for vacation and think they can just drive on the beach without knowing how to! I almost bought a 4Runner right before I bought the Marauder! Luckily I realized my need for V8. rear wheel drive, American muscle and did the right thing!! But if I needed a SUV, the 4Runner would be my choice!

JAYSILVER04
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
For money savings you might want to pick up a Navigator. Cheaper now than any of these and still has the luxury that the others lack, excells in the towing and off road ability and can carry all your firends, your boat, bikes, camping equipment and fishing stuff. Plus they are going cheap and even though they eat gas, the initial savings you will make when you buy will take decades to spend through gas savings.

Navigator has a four wheel independent suspension and very little ground clearence.Plus they are plagued with electrical problems. We sell those where I work too!! Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Toyota, Scion dealership

offroadkarter
07-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Pick up a used yukon or tahoe, we've never had problems with em. Traded in the 03 SLE Yukon at 110k miles, nothing wrong with it. Got an 07 LT2 Tahoe with the 325hp 5.3L V8, if you get a newer suburban you can get a 6.0L with 380hp

Ours goes up into the back dirt roads of PA with no problem, but if you are really going over rough terrain, you could get the Z51 Offroad package.

Fuel economy is about the same as a crown vic (If it has the cylinder deactivation), ours averages 19mpg on highway, at 75mph.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/07%20Tahoe%20LT2/th_IMG_0264.jpg (http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/07%20Tahoe%20LT2/IMG_0264.jpg)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/07%20Tahoe%20LT2/th_P5250026.jpg (http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/07%20Tahoe%20LT2/P5250026.jpg)

offroadkarter
07-29-2008, 07:53 PM
UTV's like the Ranger can tow 1500 - 2000+ pounds.

The ranger is wide but nothing can stop it, that especially goes for the 700XP (And the new 800RZR)

We have an 03 carb 500 and it gets around most places in 1wd, but has a locking rear diff and AWD when you need it.

A UTV does sound like a good idea, just tow it behind the crown vic. They apparently have a 5000lbs tow rating before ford changed that to 1500 to sell more trucks.

Aren Jay
07-29-2008, 07:54 PM
If he needs more than 7 inches of clearance his v6 fwd toyota is going to get stuck.

Older Navigators are nice, all you have to do is take care of them.

The Lightning option has less ground clearance but a Ranger Rzr has 10 to 12 inches so it should be no problem. A standard Ranger also has around 12 inches of clearance. An Argo has less clearance but 6 to 8 wheels so it doesn't get stuck, you don't need a boat for fishing and is simplicity to launch and recover.

http://www.sport-elit.ru/images/products/o04_avenger_8x8.jpg

JAYSILVER04
07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
If he needs more than 7 inches of clearance his v6 fwd toyota is going to get stuck.

Older Navigators are nice, all you have to do is take care of them.

The Lightning option has less ground clearance but a Ranger Rzr has 10 to 12 inches so it should be no problem. A standard Ranger also has around 12 inches of clearance. An Argo has less clearance but 6 to 8 wheels so it doesn't get stuck, you don't need a boat for fishing and is simplicity to launch and recover.

http://www.sport-elit.ru/images/products/o04_avenger_8x8.jpg
The Toyota I'm refering to is 4wd. And when in 2wd, the 4Runner is Rear wheel drive, not front wheel drive. Good luck getting a 4Runner stuck!! With 4wd high, 4wd low, and lockable center differential, you would have to be an idiot(or Canadian) to get the thing stuck!!

Aren Jay
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
You have never been on a back road.

When the bull dozer gets stuck trying to pull the jeep out, you all wish you had an Argo.

So what does this 4runner cost?

(and don't quote pictures)

Eric91Z
07-30-2008, 04:04 AM
By the way, the boat would be used for more than just fishing. It would also be used to teach my daughter to ski/tube. So it will be more of a sport fishing type boat.

miamisilvermm
07-30-2008, 05:43 AM
I've got a 2004 Trailblazer with a V-6. It has poor gas mileage, 10 - 12mpg city, and very poor acceleration. I'd take it off your list.

JAYSILVER04
07-30-2008, 05:50 AM
You have never been on a back road.

When the bull dozer gets stuck trying to pull the jeep out, you all wish you had an Argo.

So what does this 4runner cost?

(and don't quote pictures)

Depends if he plans to buy new or used. A new one around 28K. A nice used 05 or 06 for between 13-18K. To each his own, its his decision and he was looking for advice base on certain parameters. Thats what I did. Gave him advice based on the vehicles he selected and the "needs" he described.

BTW, I have been on many back roads, and have had to have farmers pull me out with tractors and such when I was a teenager . I should have known the limits of my vehicle(87 Suzuki Samarai), but you live and you learn!!

Eric91Z
07-30-2008, 06:13 AM
I've got a 2004 Trailblazer with a V-6. It has poor gas mileage, 10 - 12mpg city, and very poor acceleration. I'd take it off your list.

Thanks for the real world input. That is what I am looking for!

Eric91Z
07-30-2008, 07:11 AM
How about the Nissan Xterra or Pathfinder? Anyone have input on either of those?

One thing I am thinking about is that I really don't want a full size SUV or Truck if I can avoid it. I want to get the most useable vehicle without extra size I wouldn't need. I want something that gets the job done without taking up tons of space at the store or when driving offroad. Thus, a mid-size SUV with a 5000 pound or so towing capacity seems to fit the bill better.

JAYSILVER04
07-30-2008, 07:25 AM
You can pick up a Nissan Xterra pretty cheap. They are a little more sparce as far as feature content(bells and whistles), but are great off-road vehicles and very versatile. The Pathfinder is on par with the 4Runner in both price and ammenities. It comes down to personal preference and budget. Try to find a few in your area to test drive, and that will help you with your decision. Good luck!!

Aren Jay
07-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Problems with part time four wheel drive is when there is black ice on roads and full time 4WD or AWD would keep you out of a problem, Part time 4wd is only as good as RWD. And you need to remember what you are driving and what mode it is in.

I had a friend with a Pathfinder hit some black ice on an otherwise clear road and took out a minivan on the other side of the highway. Broke every window in both vehciles when they hit and both were totalled as they were knocked off the road. Everyone survived.

When you are in an emergency situation and you are in a Marauder we know how to drive to keep us alive. When you think you have 4WD you drive differently. Likewise with FWD.

Pick something that has either full time 4WD or AWD. Or has an automatic engagement, not as good but lets you assume it is in 4WD mode all the time. When the accident is happening you do not have time to think, "which mode am I in", you need to react.

The argo is not a replacement for a good fishing boat. It is a replacement for the weekend fisher looking for more opportunities. Unless you have two.

Ever consider the Pontiac Aztek or it's replacement.

Cheap, good does everything, and has the auto engagement 4WD.

JAYSILVER04
07-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Problems with part time four wheel drive is when there is black ice on roads and full time 4WD or AWD would keep you out of a problem, Part time 4wd is only as good as RWD. And you need to remember what you are driving and what mode it is in.

I had a friend with a Pathfinder hit some black ice on an otherwise clear road and took out a minivan on the other side of the highway. Broke every window in both vehciles when they hit and both were totalled as they were knocked off the road. Everyone survived.

When you are in an emergency situation and you are in a Marauder we know how to drive to keep us alive. When you think you have 4WD you drive differently. Likewise with FWD.

Pick something that has either full time 4WD or AWD. Or has an automatic engagement, not as good but lets you assume it is in 4WD mode all the time. When the accident is happening you do not have time to think, "which mode am I in", you need to react.

The argo is not a replacement for a good fishing boat. It is a replacement for the weekend fisher looking for more opportunities. Unless you have two.

Ever consider the Pontiac Aztek or it's replacement.

Cheap, good does everything, and has the auto engagement 4WD.

If you hit black ice, 4wd is not gonna help you at all! You could have 8wd and you are still gonna slide!! It's ICE!!

Aren Jay
07-30-2008, 08:16 AM
If you hit black ice, 4wd is not gonna help you at all! You could have 8wd and you are still gonna slide!! It's ICE!!

Having drivien on ice for my entire life, I can tell you, if you have one gripping powered wheel, it helps, it helps alot. If you are in a Marauder you slip, TC backs way off really fast. It is best to take your foot off the gas pedal and hover over the brake or hope your abs kicks in to do some good while you aim for some grip. Yes in a four wheel drift on black ice any vehicle is dead until it catches grip with a powered wheel or a braking wheel, but that is not as good. Also a four wheel drift in a 4wd or awd is a feature of cotrolled skid that most 4wd and awd's make use of. But thinking you can do that when in rwd, just makes your situation a whole lot worse and you are likely to put yourself into a 4 wheel drift. Rolling on black ice is no different than rolling on seen ice, it is the same ice, it is just you can't see black ice on pavement. Driving on ice does not make you lose control, driving improperly on ice does that.

AND
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=66152/pageNumber=1

Aztek review to read.

Aren Jay
07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
I just had a look at the Ford Flex. Literally was sitting in one 4 hours ago. It will tow 4000 pounds, Has AWD, get good gas mileage, has great head and leg room, may be a little tight on the knees but it is not bad. Seats 6 or 7 if one or more are kids. Has good cargo hauling ability and makes good power and nice Gas mileage as good or better than our Marauders. The future version is going to get the 20% MPG improvement and 300+ BHP.

This seems like everything you asked for. It is brand new for 2009 so if you bought it now it would cost a fair amount but if you pick one up in a few years it might just be perfect for you.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/ford/flex/100989547/specs.html

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/firstdrive/2009/ford.flex/09.ford.flex.act.f34.2.500.jpg

JAYSILVER04
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
The Flex is really nice!! Wait for the EcoBoost V6!! 300+hp and turbo charged!! Should be a bad a$$ machine!

Eric91Z
07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
You know, I actually like the Flex. Reminds me of a lowered older Suburban.

quota
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
While I do not need it, I also like the Flex. It brings a fresh note in the boring market of minivans.

Besides and after having been reading your selection criteria, I am surprised that you exclude the VW Touareg and the Land Rover LR 2 (ex Freelander) from your short list. These 2 recently came back on the market with upgraded 6 cylinders engines. They have real off-road capabilities, high ground clearance and are not ridiculous on the highway. Plus, they show a much better mpg than the 4 Runner...

JP

Aren Jay
07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
If High MPG is the need then a Lexus RX400h is the answer. It only tows 3500 pounds and it costs the moon new, but it is the answer to the SUV MPG question.

But I still like the flex better.

Eric91Z
08-01-2008, 05:20 AM
If High MPG is the need then a Lexus RX400h is the answer. It only tows 3500 pounds and it costs the moon new, but it is the answer to the SUV MPG question.

But I still like the flex better.

High MPG is not my only concern and price is also a concern (no Lexus, Land Rover, or VW Tourag). Even the Flex would be pushing it.

For the money spent, I can get about what I need in offroad capability, interior space, tow rating, etc in the Toyota 4Runner. Most likely able to get away with the 6-cylinder in that. Plus, it's size will make it easier for garage parking and getting around offroad.

Now to drive some. Still planning on driving the Trailblazer, too.

Aren Jay
08-01-2008, 06:24 PM
edit double post please delete.

Aren Jay
08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.nctd.com/review-final.cfm?Vehicle=2007_GMC_Can yon&ReviewID=3491

The GMC Canyon is a great truck, It was the only one I liked at the last car show, and with the crew cab option would be great for everything you suggested. Even gets 18 city/23 highway.

Also has a 4000 pound tow rating and gets