PDA

View Full Version : Mercury has a future!

Peter
07-31-2008, 04:23 AM
DEARBORN, Michigan: Ford Motor, which devoted itself for nearly 20 years to putting millions of Americans into big pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles, is about to drastically alter its focus to building more small cars.

The struggling automaker, reacting to what it sees as a rapid and permanent shift in consumer tastes brought on by high gas prices, plans to unveil its new direction on Thursday, when it will report quarterly earnings.

Among the changes, Ford is expected to announce that it will convert three of its North American assembly plants from trucks to cars, according to people familiar with the plans.

And as part of the huge bet it is placing on the future direction of the troubled American auto industry, Ford will realign factories to manufacture more fuel-efficient engines and produce six of its next European car models for the United States market.

The company will also end speculation about its Mercury division by making the brand an integral part of its new small-car strategy, according to these people, who spoke on the condition that they not be quoted by name because of the timing of the official announcement on Thursday.

vonirkinshtine
07-31-2008, 04:32 AM
Knowing how america does "small cars", Mercury will become the new Geo.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-31-2008, 04:54 AM
Or Saturn.

Joe Walsh
07-31-2008, 05:07 AM
I give them about a 10 percent chance of saving Mercury.

If they had any brains they would come out with a new Capri based on the MKS platform and a new Cougar based on the Mustang platform....
but I doubt it, as the new models would actually attract buyers back to L-M dealerships AND help sell some vehicles.

They most likely will come out with another mid-sized, underpowered turd and bolt on a HUGE chrome grille with lots of other chrome accessories!...
possibly even a half vinyl roof with opera windows!
:puke:

EDIT: Actually, FORD can't do what I suggested anyway, as they have NO money for R&D. $4.50 a share for their stock!!
I dumped all my FORD stock last year @ $9.44/share and ran!

vonirkinshtine
07-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Or Saturn.

Well, I give Saturn some credit. They have gone the way of Opel/Holden/Vauxhaul and the cars they're selling now aren't too shabby.

QTRHRSE
07-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, I give Saturn some credit. They have gone the way of Opel/Holden/Vauxhaul and the cars they're selling now aren't too shabby.

+1

those Sky's might not be fast, but as a Miata competitor it isnt too bad, even without opting for a redline

quota
07-31-2008, 09:03 PM
If FORD chooses MERCURY for badging and selling the european Focus, C-Max and Mondeo in North America, it would secure the brand for more than a couple of years.

In the meantime, I am surprised to see that MERCURY did not get its Edge/MKX version and that the nice Milan is still using the old Duratec engine...

JP

Peter
08-01-2008, 08:02 AM
If FORD chooses MERCURY for badging and selling the european Focus, C-Max and Mondeo in North America, it would secure the brand for more than a couple of years.

In the meantime, I am surprised to see that MERCURY did not get its Edge/MKX version and that the nice Milan is still using the old Duratec engine...

JP
Mercury has not been in Canada for years (Excluding the Marauder and MGM ), does this mean it will be returning?

QTRHRSE
08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Mercury has not been in Canada for years

learn something new everyday... i never new ford cut merc out of the north

JVJ
08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Mercury has not been in Canada for years (Excluding the Marauder and MGM ), does this mean it will be returning?

Yea right, Keep dreaming brotha! :lol:

knine
08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Ford has a well known history for not listening to the customer and doing what they want. They will screw this up too. We'll all be driving small foreign buckets very soon.

Aren Jay
08-01-2008, 07:19 PM
ka ka ka ka ka

Motorhead350
08-01-2008, 07:46 PM
We'll all be driving small foreign buckets very soon.

I'll just keep maintaining my old stuff.