PDA

View Full Version : I can't get my torque converter off

Motorhead350
08-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Ok I got the transmission off the engine (350) and now I cannot free the torque converter from the flywheel. Both are in very good shape and I want them. Seems like the torque converter has 3 bolts that I cannot access because of where it is cranked right now. I try to put a crowbar by the converter and flywheel and move it, but it will not budge. I was told to crank the engine from the front too. Looks like the crank bolt is center bolt for the crankshaft pully... I move it and it just loosens, it does not crank the engine. Last time I messed with the engine is was in park, but the tranny is out so I figured it wouldn't matter at this point. How do I free the torque convert and flywheel? I'm almost there!

FordNut
08-03-2008, 08:31 PM
If the motor isn't frozen, turn the bolt on the front of the crank the other direction (tighten, not loosen) to turn the motor over so you can easily access the torque converter bolts. Otherwise, it's a PITA but with the right kind of wrenches you can get to the torque converter bolts from between the block and flywheel.

Motorhead350
08-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks Brian. I guess I will have to get the engine back in the air for this...

Mike Poore
08-04-2008, 03:32 AM
Unless the flywheel is resting on the floor, Dom, a strongarm and proper sized socket should do the trick. If it is on the floor, just raise it enough to get a block under it to allow clearance for both the front harmonic balancer and the flywheel. If you suspend the engine with the lift, it wants to swing as you're trying to turn the crankshaft via the front bolt, and just makes the job harder. Also, I suspect the lifters are collapsed, by now, so the job will be a little easier if you remove the spark plugs so there's no compression as you try to turn the crank, remembering all 8 cylinders will have pressure on the compression stroke. (think a 350 cu in air pump with the valve closed)
If the engine's frozen then you'll have to turn it upside down, remove the oil pan, and disconnect the rods, to free the crank. :)

Zack
08-04-2008, 04:58 AM
If you take the spark plugs out, the engine will turn much easier.

Mike Poore
08-04-2008, 07:27 AM
If you take the spark plugs out, the engine will turn much easier.

HEY! There's a good idea! :rolleyes:

finster101
08-04-2008, 08:08 AM
I suggest you find a good mechanic. Stay the hell away from him while he does the job, and get a bus pass. :shake:

sicilianmarquis
08-04-2008, 08:09 AM
wat we would do at the dealership if we had to drop one off a Grandmarquis is get a switch and connect it to the starter soneliod and rotate it with the switch. Matco sells it.it should be called some kinda bypass switch i dont remember. if u wanna do the slow way you can push on the teeth of the flexplate, with a pry bar, but be carfull not to slip and chip the teeth. oh btw there are 4 total bolts on the Torque Converter,

Motorhead350
08-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I suggest you find a good mechanic. Stay the hell away from him while he does the job, and get a bus pass. :shake:

Ya ok. Why don't I just start waring polo shirts and buy an ipod too?

O's Fan Rich
08-04-2008, 09:27 AM

That'd be a good look for you.

Did you get the converter off yet?

fastblackmerc
08-04-2008, 10:29 AM

Sounds like a winner to me.

Dragcity
08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
You have the trans seperate from the engine and can't get to the converter bolts? As I recall all the Fords I have done, they are all right there. ? (May be a Cheby thing)

Do you just need the correct tool to get in there?

Is the engine seized.? Have you pulled the plugs yet?

Oh, and do not work on the engine while it is in the air on a hoist. They fall fast and hard....

justbob
08-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Hay, i resemble that.....

There's only three bolts the last i checked, If you got the tranny off you should be able to see all of them. Did you get all the antifreeze out of your shoes yet?

TAKEDOWN
08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm a good flashlight holder if you need me Dom!

Motorhead350
08-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Andrew I might take you up on that offer.

I didn't get the converter off yet because I have been busy with running around, looking for a new bass player and visiting my friend in prison. I will get to the converter tomorrow or possibly later today. The engine ran before so it's not seized and the block is cracked so that's why I am replacing it. All I have to work with is to have it on an engine lift, not a stand. I might think of something else it can rest on, but right now it seems like the best bet is literally up in the air which I think will be a hastle as well as unsafe.

I'm all about the tee shirt and vinyl records, never gonna change!

Bob no pun was intended at you, the people that know me well know I'll never be caught dead with an ipod or clothing that would suit a golf course.

Dragcity
08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
DON'T WORK ON THE ENGINE WHILE IT'S IN THE AIR !!!!!!!!

Really, I mean it. The potential hazards are immeasurable.

Get some two by fours a hammer and some 10d nails. Make a solid rack for the engine, so it can't roll over. It'll take you 1/2 hour to make a rack. It's not worth it if you're going to get hurt.

Motorhead350
08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
DON'T WORK ON THE ENGINE WHILE IT'S IN THE AIR !!!!!!!!

Really, I mean it. The potential hazards are immeasurable.

Get some two by fours a hammer and some 10d nails. Make a solid rack for the engine, so it can't roll over. It'll take you 1/2 hour to make a rack. It's not worth it if you're going to get hurt.

I have a pallad for my old engine. I suppose I could place my other 350 on something soft like cardboard and use the pallad for the other engine I need to crank... ya that'll work.

Joe Walsh
08-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I have a pallad for my old engine. I suppose I could place my other 350 on something soft like cardboard and use the pallad for the other engine I need to crank... ya that'll work.

That's pallet, as in a wood shipping pallet.

And for something soft...how about your head?

Now, I've got to get over to the Chevy/K5 Blazer website to post questions about how to disassemble a Ford 4.6 DOHC!

JEEZ! This is getting really old Dom.

Motorhead350
08-04-2008, 05:11 PM
That's pallet, as in a wood shipping pallet.

And for something soft...how about your head?

Now, I've got to get over to the Chevy/K5 Blazer website to post questions about how to disassemble a Ford 4.6 DOHC!

JEEZ! This is getting really old Dom.

Joe come on here. Look at the responce I have gotten, everyone has been very helpful. The subject is a 350 engine not a K5 Blazer. I may ask questions about both of them often, but there is a reason for that. The other websites are nice, but none like this. If I go to a K5 website they just talk about lift kits, gears and broken aftermarket parts. When I ask here about a 350 I always get better answers which is why I post such topics here.

If it's getting old then don't look. You already know the topic by the title. Thank you for the correction and the pallet I have was to hold the other 350 that I am selling, so I guess it would suit well.

BTW my head is very hard ask my girlfriend. :lol:

She herself will tell you I am very hard headed. :D

Dragcity
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Just be sure to brace it side to side so it won't roll over on you. you can leave it hooked to the hoist with an inch of slack to keep it from going to far if something goes wrong.

Safety is paramout. You are concentrating on gettting things to turn and usually not paying attention to where things will fall. Do what you can to minimize your risks. (No, I do not sell life insurance)

Thanks, now I can sleep tonight....

Motorhead350
08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I would go at this right now, but it turns out we are currently having tornados...

TooManyFords
08-04-2008, 07:04 PM
DON'T WORK ON THE ENGINE WHILE IT'S IN THE AIR, UNLESS THE YOUTUBE VIDEO CAMERA IS ROLLING!!!!!

I fixed it for ya Dragcity!

Sorry Dom, I -had- to!

:D

Motorhead350
08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't care John, that's funny!

Too bad I don't post on youtube, I'd have a few videos to share.