PDA

View Full Version : I might work for the enemy

Motorhead350
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I really don't want to do this, but I know I will have nothing, but benefit. My aunt used to be in the movie/t.v. industry and still has a lot of connections and this coming week I have an interview from MTV. MTV is everyting I hate and completely brainwashes the youth and fills them with sugar coated mindless garbage and don't get me started with the music. Everyone includding my whole family says I should suck it up because I'll meet some people in very high positions that could benefit me and my band, I believe it, but I'm still gonna hate it.

When all goes well I'll be living in N.Y.C. for a few months and I guess my bands and cars will have to be put on hold for a little while.

What do you guys think? I know nothing of working for such a company. Could it really land me somewhere with my music or do you think this is just for the people that work off the stage?

Blackened300a
08-09-2008, 06:33 PM
When all goes well I'll be living in N.Y.C. for a few months

Thanks for the warning!

ImpalaSlayer
08-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the warning!

lol stay away. or bring another car if you meet him. jk dom :lol:

Eric-Blk2004
08-09-2008, 07:06 PM
In regards to your post please refer to the following:

Tool - Hooker with a PenXX

Thank you.

MM03MOK
08-09-2008, 07:11 PM
MTV is not your final destination, it's just the next whistle stop of your career. Take full advantage and work your butt off. You'll learn things, meet people, make connections, face challenges and diverse opinions....you never know what the experience and knowledge will do for you at the next stops in your career.

Do your research on MTV, its subsidiaries and parent company.

MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), is one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. With 135 channels and more than 200 interactive properties worldwide, MTV Networks connects with its audiences through its robust consumer products businesses and its multiple platforms, including online, broadband, wireless and interactive television services. The company also has licensing agreements, joint ventures, and syndication deals whereby all of its programming services can be seen around the world.

MTV is not just "MTV." It's also Nickelodeon, VH-1, TVLand, Comedy Central, Spike, CMT, Noggin and LOGO and more. https://jobhuntweb.viacom.com/jobhunt/main/us.asp

Browse through some of the job descriptions and see what interests you. https://jobhuntweb.viacom.com/jobhunt/main/jobhome.asp

I wouldn't focus on where this may take you with your music. Just let the experience happen and absorb all the knowledge you can.

Black_Noise
08-09-2008, 07:13 PM
dont sell out.

Rocknthehawk
08-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Suck it up.

I'd sell out in a second to make more money.

Mike Poore
08-10-2008, 05:01 AM
It's not about money, Dom, it's about learning and life's experiences. You know he difference between right and wrong .....that's a huge concept in direction from what you (think) you like and dislike. Stick with your straight edge values, and never compromise them. Meanwhile, you're gonna grow up, fast, and many things which seem important, now, will simply be, as Kansas sung. Dust in the Wind.. Go for it kid.... and welcome to the real world. :)

Bluerauder
08-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Good luck with the new position, Dom !! :up:

Ms. Denmark
08-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Living in New York is an acquired taste and nothing prepares you for the culture shock. It is EXTREMELY expensive as well. If you love new challenges and can handle the very fast pace at which New Yorkers live you will love it. You also need great street smarts to thrive in both the city and a job like MTV. BTW it's generally better to choose a job that you have a genuine interest in. Working for a company that you don't respect will make it harder and harder to " suck up". No job is worth that IMO. I think you already know the answer. Listen to your gut, be who you really are, and work in a job that you can believe in and be proud of.:)

Bigdogjim
08-10-2008, 06:43 AM
I really don't want to do this, but I know I will have nothing, but benefit.Thats right life is about trade offs My aunt used to be in the movie/t.v. industry and still has a lot of connections and this coming week I have an interview from MTV. MTV is everyting I hate and completely brainwashes the youth and fills them with sugar coated mindless garbage and don't get me started with the music.Keep this mind set out of the interview, if they even sense this you are out! Everyone includding my whole family says I should suck it up because I'll meet some people in very high positions that could benefit me and my band, I believe it, but I'm still gonna hate it.
Get over it and look for something that will help you!
When all goes well I'll be living in N.Y.C. for a few months and I guess my bands and cars will have to be put on hold for a little while.
You'll will be lucky if only for a "little while"

What do you guys think? I know nothing of working for such a company. Could it really land me somewhere with my music or do you think this is just for the people that work off the stage?

Keep an open mind:) After Chicago you will love New York:banana::banana::banana:

fastblackmerc
08-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Don't worry... you'll blow the interview.:puke:

Haggis
08-10-2008, 08:16 AM
It's not about money, Dom, it's about learning and life's experiences. You know he difference between right and wrong .....that's a huge concept in direction from what you (think) you like and dislike. Stick with your straight edge values, and never compromise them. Meanwhile, you're gonna grow up, fast, and many things which seem important, now, will simply be, as Kansas sung. Dust in the Wind.. Go for it kid.... and welcome to the real world. :)

Don't listen to gramps, it is all about the money....go for it. Chicago, New York....six of one half dozen of the other. Oh yea, the pizza is better in NY.

Blackmobile
08-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Any New York experience will benefit you down the line. It's great to be a surviver of NYC, but look into living in the burbs.....and don't go around waving, and saying hello to any & everyone......They will Cut you.lol

Aren Jay
08-10-2008, 09:05 AM
It is always about money, and that is always about who you know.

Go for it.

TAKEDOWN
08-10-2008, 11:21 AM
GO FOR IT.... DOM! If you don't like it, walk away. Give it a chance and look for good friends, good opportunities, good times, and learn from experience. You make it what it is!

martyo
08-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Don't worry. When they read this post (which is likely), it will just be another reason why they won't offer you a job.

And Mary gave the best reply -- no surprise that she would.

Aren Jay
08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

jgc61sr2002
08-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Dom - Good luck on your new venture.:D

Motorhead350
08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Don't worry... you'll blow the interview.:puke:

Is that what you had to do during your interview? Ewww.

fastblackmerc
08-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Is that what you had to do during your interview? Ewww.

No, I said the interview... not the interviewer.... but you can try it!

Green96
08-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Having just been aquired by a new company after many years with a relatively small company, I have a couple of words of advise. If they offer you something good, go for it but watch you a**. They could boot you out the door just as quick as they bring you in. On that same thought, if another chance comes up because of this one don't hesitate to take it as they would not hesitate to do the same to you. Learn everything you can while you are there and take every opertunity they give you. Enjoy the ride until it is time to get off (just hope you know when that time arrives). The most important thing is be carefull what you sign. I had to sign a sheet as "a condition of my continued employment" that I did not fully agree with. Hope it doesn't haunt me.

Motorhead350
08-10-2008, 06:37 PM
No, I said the interview... not the interviewer.... but you can try it!

But my question is how did that work out for you? :poke:

Green96 you bet I'm going to watch my butt, mtv probably has a lotta people interested in my butt. :eek:

Aren Jay
08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Never sign anything that you do not agree with.

Make a note of why you didn't sign, on a seperate sheet of paper, and see if you can work something else out.

If not say goodbye and live your life.

Mike Poore
08-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Um, Dom? I have to ask, since it seems to be missing from the discussion ...you'll have finished your baccalaureate degree, before you consider any job offer, right ...and what about graduate school?

Pops
08-12-2008, 07:35 AM
I used to live in NYC Dom. You will do fine there and have a good time. Take Marys advice and if it looks good go for it!

RF Overlord
08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Dom, even Kurt Cobain eventually sold out...but then he offed himself, so maybe that isn't a good example... :rolleyes:

Anyway, you have to decide what you want out of life before you can decide what route you take to get there. If you want to hang around Chicago being Marky Ramone's chauffeur then fine, but if you have a chance like this, which probably won't be repeated, take it. Even if you hate it and leave after a year, well, you already know all the reasons to go for it. Good luck either way.