PDA

View Full Version : where did u get your nite-shades?

Black_Noise
08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
did you pick it up at a store or did you get it online?
Is it the SP999 can?

any tips to using?

Bigdogjim
08-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Night shades is OK however a body shop will paint the same color as you car for a much better result.

KillJoy
08-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I got mine from Jegs.

I then had them Painted body color.

:up:

KillJoy

ImpalaSlayer
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
night shades are fail. body match them. they look much better

Rocknthehawk
08-10-2008, 07:44 PM
The problem is you need to clear over nightshades. other wise it's dull and looks like ass.

The other way, is to put a few small drops of black paint into some clear, and spray them the same way you would normally paint.

Embassy
08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Night shades is OK however a body shop will paint the same color as you car for a much better result.

Agreed:

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46302 (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46302)

That said, I used Night Shades with great results on my '98 P71, followed by multiple coats of clear.

The key to applying it is light coats, as instructed on the can. Also, use a tack cloth before each application to keep any stray dust or particles of the taillamps.

After 24 hours of drying, apply several light coats of clear.

Wait a few weeks and apply several coats of your preferred protectant.

Raudermaster
08-10-2008, 08:14 PM

You're fail WITH paint! Nite Shades is good if you clear them.

crabby125
08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Dont mean to Hijack the thread, but for the guys who went to a body shop to get them color matched. How much did you pay?? I was thinking of doing something like that on my ride.

ImpalaSlayer
08-11-2008, 04:44 AM
You're fail WITH paint! Nite Shades is good if you clear them.

will never look good as paint

Eric91Z
08-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Here is my input:

1) Nightshades is for a complete tinting of the taillights - not trying to do an S55 taillight treatment. It definitely does not look as good as paint does, but for a daily driver it will get the job done.

2) Body shop is if you want the S55 taillight treatment - not for just tinting of the taillights

To each his own. I have the S55 treatment on the Marauder and wouldn't do it any other way. The CVPi is a daily driver and less then perfect car. I wanted to do a little more "blackout" on the rear end, so I did the Nightshades.

Back to the original question being asked: I purchased my Nightshades from Summit Racing and picked up the clear coat at the local auto parts store. You definitely want to get a couple coats of clear on there after the Nightshades dries. And as noted above do about 3 "light" coats on each lens. And make sure you get an equal amount on each lens. In other words, I would do a light coat on one lens and then a light coat on the other. I would alternate back and forth like that and do not do any extra on one and not the other as you will be able to tell the difference when you are all done.

I have plenty of Nightshades left if you want to get together sometime I can give that to you. I will actually be up in Ames Saturday morning and could run over to Marshalltown to give that to you if you wanted. You can have the clear coat, too, if you want.

Let me know.

Here are some comparison pictures:

Crown Vic with Nightshades and Marauder trunk trim piece with factory tinted backup lights:

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/gallery/files/1/1/9/IMG_0522.jpg

Marauder with S55 painted taillight/backup lights:

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/gallery/files/1/1/9/Picture062.jpg

fastblackmerc
08-11-2008, 05:59 AM
You might get into trouble with Johnnie Law doing Night Shades, since some jurisdictions don't allow for tinting any exterior lights. Plus you'll cut down on the light output which could have legal consequences if you involved in an accident.....

I recommend doing the S55 treatment and adding 2 extra bulbs per side.

CRUZTAKER
08-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Wrong!

Wrong again!!

The problem is you need to clear over nightshades. other wise it's dull and looks like ass.

Uhh...wrong...but only because it wasn't applied correctly.

Just search the product. It is available from numerous online sources.

Mine look and feel like glass, and black as night until you turn on the lights at night.

2,4shofast
08-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Niteshades is a very easy to use product and a clear coat will help with the shine. I have no issues with having mine tinted, it really doesnt make the lights that much harder to see when braking etc and the reflectors still function with nite shades on. I bought my niteshades from Summit Racing I believe.

Black_Noise
08-11-2008, 07:19 PM
im going tonite-shade cause im just going for the sleek darkened tail lights, not an S55 treatment. I was wondering if any shops carry it like advance auto or Orielys, Napa... Etc.....

Eric91Z
08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
im going tonite-shade cause im just going for the sleek darkened tail lights, not an S55 treatment. I was wondering if any shops carry it like advance auto or Orielys, Napa... Etc.....

I wasn't able to find it locally when I was looking. Just ended up ordering from Summit. Again, I have plenty left you can have.

Black_Noise
08-12-2008, 03:05 PM
thanks eric

Eric91Z
08-12-2008, 04:27 PM
thanks eric

You're welcome. Just let me know what you want to do on Saturday.