PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal Hesitation @ WOT in 1st and 2nd

RedMerc04
08-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I was out playing with my DTR earlier when I noticed what the aforementioned title suggests. It happens after both kick down and hard launch. The car pulls nice and strong up until about 4600 rpms and then it bogs, almost as if it is hitting its rev limiter and then it gets back up and goes. I have never noticed this before but I have recently added NGK Tr6 plugs and a 180 Degree stat along with a TCI deep trans pan. It seems to me like the converter is taking time to lock or something because the car seems to lose power and then bucks violently when it regains it. This is accompanied by a mild thumping noise from under the floor. I checked the fluid and it is a little overfilled. For the hell of it I ran my old lidio tune to test this theory and the car was smooth as glass. The problem here is that I prefer the normal tranny behavior of the Reinhart tune and the Lidio tune is not up to date with my current mods. Again, the car never behaved this way with the reinhart tune before I installed the stat, plugs and trans pan. Is it possible that too much tranny fluid could hamper the lock up characteristics of the converter in a high-stress situation? Or is it the cooler plugs?

sd8683
08-11-2008, 09:48 PM
My car does the same exact thing

gmtech
08-12-2008, 04:47 AM
same here...just started 2 weeks ago and is driving me mad...maybe a coil going bad

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Why not change the plugs and find out for sure if it's the plugs? All you have to lose is time. I read about another guy having a problem w/ the colder plugs, and switching back to stock. My general rule is that for a stock engine, run stock plugs. Somebody spent an awful lot of time figuring out what plugs to equip as OE.

Zack
08-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Since Ive gone back to NA on the blue, I cant help but think the Plugs I left in there (TR6's) are impeding performance and gas mileage.

Afterall, the stock gap is .055 and these are .035.

Im gonna switch them out!

RedMerc04
08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
If it is the plugs wouldnt it have replicated itself when I ran WOT on my old Lidio tune?

scoutrjp
08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Mine did the same after new plugs & DR's tune. I'll try switching plus back & see.

Dennis Reinhart
08-12-2008, 02:42 PM
If this has just started I would check the fuel filter, at WOT it may be starving for fuel, install the larger filter.

RedMerc04
08-12-2008, 05:31 PM
If this has just started I would check the fuel filter, at WOT it may be starving for fuel, install the larger filter.
Is there a PN and Directions for the larger filter. This would make sense because the car is absolutely perfect in every other situation.

Dennis Reinhart
08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Fuel Filter Modification

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I have wrote and told you how the fuel filter and lines are very restrictive, even on the N/A cars but especially on the S/C cars even with my twin pump assembly, so here is a very easy fix for the N/A cars and it did help on Paul's car, I remove the stock fuel filter and replace it with a much larger filter and I install a modified Bracket.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/session/00-00-1077317860-MVC-309S%20copy.jpg

RedMerc04
08-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Ill definately do this! Thanks Dennis!

bob6364
08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
May I ask the part number of that filter...

Dennis Reinhart
08-13-2008, 10:45 AM
May I ask the part number of that filter...

Fram G3802A

rvaldez1
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Is that a fabbed bracket, or can we pick that up anywhere. I had the same bog...new filter did the trick, but seems a bigger filter is the way to go.

Zack
08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Is that a fabbed bracket, or can we pick that up anywhere. I had the same bog...new filter did the trick, but seems a bigger filter is the way to go.

You dont need the bracket, just a bigger hose clamp.

RF Overlord
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Fram G3802AFRAM??!! :eek: Dennis, please don't make me wash your mouth out with soap... ;)

Motorcraft FG800A or NAPA Gold 3097

Is that a fabbed bracket, or can we pick that up anywhere. I had the same bog...new filter did the trick, but seems a bigger filter is the way to go.All the info and part numbers for this mod are in the FAQ here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/faq.php?faq=how_to#faq_fuel_fi lter).

BTW, the FAQ states that any AutoZone will read and clear codes for free. This is only partially true. Here in MA, our elected dumbasses OOPS I mean OFFICIALS have decreed that it's now a $500 fine for anyone other than the car's owner or a licensed emissions repair facility to clear codes. As if we didn't already deserve the nickname TAXachusetts... :shake:

gmtech
08-13-2008, 06:03 PM
i changed fuel filter, cleaned air filter and throttle body,switched gas stations, still this jerking sensation at wot, the higher the rpm the worse, no codes stored, plugs look good and are gapped to stock spec, removed battery cable for 15 minutes and retested, still the hesitation...never had a problem like this in this car, only use BP or Shell 93...feels like a coil maybe getting weak under load..will probably wait till it sets a CEL so i can identify the cyl.

RedMerc04
08-13-2008, 07:21 PM
i changed fuel filter, cleaned air filter and throttle body,switched gas stations, still this jerking sensation at wot, the higher the rpm the worse, no codes stored, plugs look good and are gapped to stock spec, removed battery cable for 15 minutes and retested, still the hesitation...never had a problem like this in this car, only use BP or Shell 93...feels like a coil maybe getting weak under load..will probably wait till it sets a CEL so i can identify the cyl.
It sucks that you have to wait for the CEL.

Blackened300a
08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Here in MA, our elected dumbasses OOPS I mean OFFICIALS have decreed that it's now a $500 fine for anyone other than the car's owner or a licensed emissions repair facility to clear codes. As if we didn't already deserve the nickname TAXachusetts... :shake:

So basically, If I took my scanner and hooked it up to your car and cleared the trouble code for you, I could be subject to a $500 fine?

RF Overlord
08-14-2008, 09:38 AM
In Massachusetts, probably... :shake:

Not sure what their thinking is...if I clear the CEL and then go right over to an inspection station, it will come up "I/M Not Ready" and they won't issue a sticker anyway, so I don't see the point in forbidding someone from doing it...but no one has ever accused this state OOPS I mean The Commonwealth of having half a clue in the first place. :rolleyes: :D

Eric-Blk2004
08-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I hate that about MA

Is it misfiring or is just bogging down? The plugs arent rusted and stuff are they? Sucks to wait for a CEL. I think with a Modius Snap on you could hook it up to the coils and map the spark timing and see which one is screwing up...but yea that is pretty involved.

Aren Jay
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
This almost sound like my transmission flare problem.

Mine always happened in 2nd going to 3rd.

rvaldez1
08-14-2008, 09:37 PM

Duh!!!. Thanks Zack, I am such a dork sometimes.

Dennis Reinhart
08-15-2008, 09:30 AM

alll you have to do is open the OEM brkt up, again if peolpe are having a 2/3 issue after a tune its probably in the software if you bought the tune from me the fix is free.

scoutrjp
08-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks Dennis, you are always helpful & stand behind what you sell. I'll PM you for the fix. Thanks