PDA

View Full Version : Convertibles

Dragcity
08-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I know someone can tell me this:

What cars are designed and manufacured as Convertibles; vs. those that are produced as hard tops and the top is chopped and the body trimmed out (eg. Mustang)?

I searched the net but came up empty. I must be using improper terms. Any help is appreciated.

Eric-Blk2004
08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I think every convert is available as a hard top...

the Saturn sky comes to mind as the only convert....

Breadfan
08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I believe the Corvette starting with the C-5 was designed to be a convertible...so it's basic structure was built assuming convertible and any strutural benefits of a solid roof were added onto that, rather than taken away when the top was removed and having extra bracing put in as an afterthought.

I think that's what you're asking, as other cars are designed as hard tops and then later there is a design effort to chop the top and address structural issues that ensue. Manufacturers who know the car will be available as both are now starting to just design for convertible from the starting point.

Merc220A
08-12-2008, 09:57 AM
I heard that the original chrysler sebring was built as a convertible first.

Ralph Sr.
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM
the only car i know for sure are corvettes,from c5,models like 2000 and up .they are only ones that have done this ,main purpose is handing. my 2007 z06,does not even have a t-top. keeping everything tied together .i remember jacking up cars in the1960,era and when on jacks closing a door that was open,way off like 4-6 inches. older vettes that i raced we welded up frame supports,to stop all that movement. ralph sr.

High-C
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Wasn't the first Dodge Viper a convertible? Or was it just an open-top type car? It didn't even have side windows or something like that... Just thinking out loud... :confused:

Breadfan
08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah the original Viper was designed as an open car from the start, it came with a cloth top and side curtains, it wasn't a quick pull up top but had to be put on, not sure how difficult....but, certainly qualifies as a car designed from the start to not have a roof.

Still, it was sorta a "targa" roof, it still had a back window and support beam across it in the rear right?

Bluerauder
08-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I heard that the original chrysler sebring was built as a convertible first.
Yes, the Chrysler Sebring convertible was built as a convertible from the ground up with additional structure/stiffening to prevent "body flex" typical of convertibles that are just chop tops.

Camaro and Firebird T-tops were famous for body flex severe enough to loosen the T-inserts on some models.

Motorhead350
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
What about the 55 T-Bird?

Pops
08-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Convertible and it has a full frame. The hard top was an option plus you can take it off.

Breadfan
08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I guess the Miata counts too

...or does it? Even though a fiberglass hardtop was optional, there was never a "coupe" Miata.

Is the spirit of this to define cars designed as convertibles originally that were also available as coupes?

Corvette, Viper, and Sebring seem to fit the bill...

Dragcity
08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks Guys,

I am looking at newer cars. Knowing the Mustang is a chopped hard top, I will avoid it. But what about Saab, Mazda, Volvo, Mercedes, Cadillac, Toyota, Honda and so on.?

Motorhead350
08-12-2008, 01:34 PM
The Saab company only makes money for repairs, it's best to stay away from them. Believe me I used to work at a Saab dealer.

Breadfan
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
A poorly made car originally designed as a convertible may still flex more than a well built hardtop with a chop and some bracing...so bear that in mind.

Not sure if there is a site the displays frame harmonics from model to model, but if you could find something like that you may be able to get a chassis stiffness guide.

High-C
08-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Try not to take this the wrong way Drag... but... Convertibles are for chics dude. :eek:

Breadfan
08-12-2008, 01:55 PM
for or for gettin'? :coolman:

whd507
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
my 1951 Fraizer Manhattan convertable was based on a sedan, but was engineered to be a convert. different frame and all.

Aren Jay
08-13-2008, 10:52 PM
MGB
Viper
Morgan
The last T-bird
SSR

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-14-2008, 05:12 AM
I don't understand why a "chopped" mustang is a problem for you. Have you driven one?

Dragcity
08-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Here is the scoop. A good friend of mine, well his Son, had a mustang convertible he ran into a ditch. Minor front bumper damage, and none of the body panels lined up. Dealer took the car apart and deemed it totaled due to too much damage to the framework. Car had to be reserved for salvage only.

The kid's looking for a new convertible.

I did drive the new Mustang convertible, a fine car.... Looks like they put a few bolt on supports fore and aft underneath....

Just trying to do some research. I could not find a resource out there that listed this information. You woould think the manufacturers who design and specifically producue convertibles would make that common knowledge.

Thanks for all the input...

quota
08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Ferrari California, Smart speedster (was not sold in the US), Opel/Saturn/Pontiac Solstice, Mercedes SL, ...there are quite a lot of them. In all prices ranges.

JP