PDA

View Full Version : Toyota cheating again - your opinion ?

quota
08-18-2008, 09:24 AM
It seems that TOYOTA "did it again". After being thrown out from WRC a couple of years ago - they were racing with the 4x4 Celica and cheating about Turbo pressure - TOYOTA did it again but this time in NASCAR through the Gibbs Racing Team.

My opinion is that there should be much more "advertising" about these issues that occurred with TOYOTA at WRC and now at NASCAR.

What is your opinion about these stories ?

JP

Blk Mamba
08-18-2008, 09:42 AM
I think that everyone is cheating, or working in the grey, it is only after you get caught that it is cheating. I don't feel that Toyota did the cheating, in either case, but I'm sure they encouraged it, as does Ford, Dodge, & Chevy.

Eric-Blk2004
08-18-2008, 10:42 AM
The actions of a race team do not reflect the company they represent - no matter how you may or may not want them to. The actions of the person reflect the person and that is it.

Everyone cheats and nothing is pure - if your not cheating your not trying hard enough to win. Thats what competition always has been - sucks I know.

O's Fan Rich
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
"If you ain't cheating, you're not trying hard enough."
Smokey Yunick

Besides.... in the age of "all cars are the same racing" in NASCAR, who cares?

94five0
08-18-2008, 11:12 AM
totally ageree. cheating in nascar just means you got caught.
Pot, have you met kettle?

SilverSport
08-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Gibbs was just trying to protect the extra horsepower that they have found in the Toyota engine. Nascar has already given the Gibbs engines a restricted carb spacer and was going to dyno that combo. Gibbs used the magnets to restrict full throttle at the dyno and got caught. I'm not a Toyota loyalist, I just think Nascar (Nazicar) is taking away any and all competitive edges. Toyota obviously did their homework, built a helluva good engine and now they are being penalized (restricted). I'd still be *****in if it was Ford or Chevy and not Toyota. I don't like watching races where all the cars are equal. Boring...

quota
08-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe I did not write it in the right way. My first point was that
- TOYOTA team was cheating in NASCAR and in WRC (bad ?)
- TOYOTA team was caught in cheating in NASCAR and in WRC (very bad !)

My second point is that it should be know that TOYOTA is good enough in imitation, but has no imagination. Which reflects in their products.

JP

Shora
08-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I can honestly say that I have never watched even 5 min. total of NASCAR in my life.

Most stupid race on the planet with one of the coolest history.

It started so cool with the smuggling roots and then went to production cars (or nearly so) and now it's just the most g a y race with cars that resemble nothing of the production version and equally bad keeping the teams so evenly matched.

WHY??????????????

Props to those who actually enjoy a race under these conditions.

Joe Walsh
08-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Most stupid race on the planet with one of the coolest history.

It started so cool with the smuggling roots and then went to production cars (or nearly so) and now it's just the most g a y race with cars that resemble nothing of the production version and equally bad keeping the teams so evenly matched.

WHY??????????????

So True....

I can't stand NASCAR anymore...

A Toyota cam-in-block 350 CID "production" V8...???

And the Car Of Tomorrow!???

WTF!!!

Just call it NAROC and be done with it!

larryo340
08-18-2008, 07:14 PM
If you can still turn left, your not going fast enough.

http://www.diamondracing.net/images/News_nhraLogo.gif

TooManyFords
08-18-2008, 07:41 PM
The Onion said it best...

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/nascar_unveils_new_car_of

DEFYANT
08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
When there are "stock" cars in "stock car" racing, I'll care and watch the sport.

Eric-Blk2004
08-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Lack of imagition makes for a lot of sales and market share I guess...plus you know that whole hybrid scam :)

SC Cheesehead
08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
We used to race snowmobiles with a guy that had his "motto" painted right under his name on the cowling:

"Win if you can,

Lose if you must,

But always cheat."

Pops
08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
It does not matter whether you win or lose its how you cheat to beat!

Just do not get caught!

SilverSport
08-19-2008, 06:46 PM
If you can still turn left, your not going fast enough.

http://www.diamondracing.net/images/News_nhraLogo.gif

I agree. Even though I'll watch an occasional Nascar race on TV, the only racing I'll pay money to go see is drag racing.

larryo340
08-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I agree. Even though I'll watch an occasional Nascar race on TV, the only racing I'll pay money to go see is drag racing.
I keep a Nascar race in the DVR so in the event I can't fall asleep I'll turn it on. :P

Aren Jay
08-20-2008, 10:36 AM
"Rules are made to be broken, regulations ignored and laws bent." FKM 1991.

A friend of mine had these pearls of wisdom when we were at college in England.

The only racing is formula 1.

Although that drag racing gameshow is cool.

Wires
08-20-2008, 11:29 AM
My opinion:

Nascar needs to decide if they are about the total team competing, or just drivers.

If they are about the total team competing, then they can't continuously fiddle with the rules to keep things "even." If one team gets more power from an engine, then they will do well.

At least they finally went to a common body - it was even worse with their "add spoiler", "take away spoiler," "add air dam" etc. to try to "level the field."

If they want all the engines to be equal horsepower, and remove any advantage an engine shop may give a team, then go to sealed engines from one supplier - dyno them all and add restrictor plates to "trim them" to the same power and don't let the teams touch them. At least that would be better than "oh no, the xxx are running too fast, change their restrictor plate."

They need to quick dancing in the middle and come down one one side or the other - either allow race teams to inovate within the rules, or go to the exact same engine for everyone.

What's next? A common chassis?

Joe Walsh
08-20-2008, 11:51 AM
My opinion:

Nascar needs to decide if they are about the total team competing, or just drivers.

If they are about the total team competing, then they can't continuously fiddle with the rules to keep things "even." If one team gets more power from an engine, then they will do well.

At least they finally went to a common body - it was even worse with their "add spoiler", "take away spoiler," "add air dam" etc. to try to "level the field."

If they want all the engines to be equal horsepower, and remove any advantage an engine shop may give a team, then go to sealed engines from one supplier - dyno them all and add restrictor plates to "trim them" to the same power and don't let the teams touch them. At least that would be better than "oh no, the xxx are running too fast, change their restrictor plate."

They need to quick dancing in the middle and come down one one side or the other - either allow race teams to inovate within the rules, or go to the exact same engine for everyone.

What's next? A common chassis?

YEP!

Either let the competitors improve, innovate and win because of their efforts or...

Call it the new IROC series and be done with this B.S.!

I don't know why any car manufacturer would waste their advertising dollars on this C.O.T. NASCAR crap!