PDA

View Full Version : High Gas Prices and Big Vehicles

SC Cheesehead
08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Came across this article the other day. Although it's aimed at SUV owners, I thought it had a lot of relevance for MM owners.....

-------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK--With gas approaching $4.50 a gallon and your 6,000-pound SUV using a lot of it, you may lose sight of the big picture.
Don't.
We all make bad investments. We buy stocks with a solid rationale and expectations, and then they take a hit. The company announces a horrible quarter, say, and our long-term view goes out the window. We can't resist the urge to sell.
Now, I take today's gas prices seriously. High energy costs are probably here to stay and it's time to adjust. But if you already have that Suburban or F-250, be careful. It doesn't necessarily mean it's time to sell.
You see, vehicles aren't really like stocks. The total cost depends on how you use them, and there are lots of costs -- not just the gas. Much higher transaction costs, for instance. So it's a more complex deal. Really, it's a matter of running the numbers.
Avoid the impulse
You bought your truck for a reason. To haul a family, to tow a boat, to run your business. Or, maybe you just liked the solid, safe feel. Whatever. It's yours.
Now, what happens if you sell it and buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle? You'll save on gas. But you'll still need your checkbook:
Soft market. Used trucks and SUVs are abundant now. Dealers are offering next to nothing. According to some reports, trade-in values have dropped $5,000 to $10,000 in a few months. So take that hit, plus the depreciation on the new car? No thanks. Sales tax, at least in some states. That's perhaps $800 to $1,500 on a compact car.
Financing costs. Just like those home-foreclosure horror stories, you may be underwater on your current vehicle and have to take a check to the closing. Then there's the $365 a month to pay on the new car ($15,000 loan, 8%, 48 months).
All to avoid $4.50 a gallon? Not so fast.
The real deal
Your SUV or truck, let's say it gets 15 mpg. At 12,000 miles a year, that's 800 gallons of gas a year, or $3,600 a year. Now $3,600 is a lot, but compared those other numbers? Hmmm. Now suppose you're considering downsizing to a 25 mpg car. That car uses 480 gallons annually, or $2,160 in gas. So, all those new costs -- just to save $1,440?
The bottom line is:
Do the math. See how much you'd really save. Drive less. You can match that 25 mpg by limiting that SUV to 7,200 miles per year, or about 100 miles per week less. People are doing it; according to recent surveys, total miles driven in 2007 actually declined for the first time since 1960. So, car pool, use public transit, use your other car more, stop taking the kids to school - you get the idea. And you may be able to lower insurance costs by driving that big rig less, too.
If you find a bargain, act. If Aunt Maude is selling her five-year old Camry with 26,000 miles on it, maybe it's time to cut your losses. Again, run the numbers. Consider a scooter.
If you need a second car, consider a scooter. They get 100 mpg vs. about 20 for a car, a savings of literally thousands in gas each year, not to mention the insurance. Just remember: They generally make sense for shorter distances, such as short drives to work, a run to the grocery store, even a ride to school, as I did in my younger days.
It's just like with taxes. Don't spend (or lose) a buck to save 35 cents.
Jennifer Openshaw
MarketWatch, Inc

DOOM
08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Makes sense to me. I would NEVER sell due to gas prices.

Bluerauder
08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Came across this article the other day. Although it's aimed at SUV owners, I thought it had a lot of relevance for MM owners.....

-------------------------------------------------------------

Consider a scooter. [/SIZE]
If you need a second car, consider a scooter. They get 100 mpg vs. about 20 for a car, a savings of literally thousands in gas each year, not to mention the insurance. Just remember: They generally make sense for shorter distances, such as short drives to work, a run to the grocery store, even a ride to school, as I did in my younger days.
Ha, Ha, Ha ..... getting a scooter in Northern Virginia is akin to committing suicide. If you decided to choose that method to off yourself in Northern Virginia remember to bump up your life insurance for those who will be left behind. And factor the premiums into the total cost. ;)

Hey Rex, can you envision a scooter up here? I remember you being very nervous on I-495 and I-270 inside your 2-ton MM. On a scooter??? :rofl: Get real.

Vortech347
08-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Smaller isn't better. My fox body is pissing me off right now. 21 all freeway and 13-14 city. I'm dying. I want my new MM!!! My other one averaged 18-19. Freaking low compression engine.

DJCV
08-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I have been thinking along these lines for the past year, and I'm glad more & more people are waking up to the reality that jumping ship at this time, merely for the sake of trading for a higher mpg vehicle, does NOT represent a smart financial move and is the WORST move for most.

I will admit that it crossed my mind to get a small, cheap car. But when I really thought about it for more than 5 minutes, the math made it clear that I'd be giving up way too much in order to save only a few dollars at the pump. Not worth it!

SC Cheesehead
08-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Ha, Ha, Ha ..... getting a scooter in Northern Virginia is akin to committing suicide. If you decided to choose that method to off yourself in Northern Virginia remember to bump up your life insurance for those who will be left behind. And factor the premiums into the total cost. ;)

Hey Rex, can you envision a scooter up here? I remember you being very nervous on I-495 and I-270 inside your 2-ton MM. On a scooter??? :rofl: Get real.

I was thinking something more along the lines of this....:lol:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40628000/jpg/_40628507_moon_buggy300.jpg

Motorhead350
08-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Good article. Thanks for the info!

Eric-Blk2004
08-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Who drives scooters? Get a sport bike - they get like 60mpg and you look cool. Cruisers get the same

Marauder386
08-19-2008, 01:26 PM
That article only solidifies what I have said many times on here and publicly ... I CHOSE to drive these cars with their need for Premium fuel ... gas prices be damned ...

:cool4:

Bluerauder
08-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Who drives scooters?
Hey Toad --- is that a Vespa? :rofl:

rayjay
08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
I bought a 4 door scooter, a Aveo, but I kept the Marauder :D Now the DTR snoozes in my side yard shaded by a big ole maple tree.