PDA

View Full Version : Had to dump one!

JAYSILVER04
08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Last week I took my 73k Mile Marauder in for tires and told them to check it over for me. Well, I wish the tires were the only issue!! Turns out it needs front brakes and rotors, a headlight control module, 4 BFG's, and the air suspension is just about shot!! So instead of dumping $2,000+ into it, I'm dumping the car instead:bigcry:. The dealership I work for is going to send it to the auction and give me the money it sells for less the auction fees. I would rather do that than pass the troubles on to someone else. Now I'm gonna just have to live with the one Marauder I got! Maybe a dealer will pick the car up, fix it, and put it back on the market in better shape. We will see I guess. I kind of figured something was going wrong with it when my lights worked here and there and the ride is very harsh due to the air suspension. I have started my quest for a cheap Thunderbird to fill the void a little. The money I have left over from the sale of the 73K mile MM will fill the rest of the void!!

KillJoy
08-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Uhhh..... that sounds like normal maintenance, not troubles.....

:dunno:

KillJoy

PS - You should have listed it here... you probably would have gotten more out of it!

JAYSILVER04
08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Uhhh..... that sounds like normal maintenance, not troubles.....

:dunno:

KillJoy

PS - You should have listed it here... you probably would have gotten more out of it!

Well, since I have another MM, I couldn't justify the expense of the repairs. The money in my pocket was much more attractive to me. I still have one to enjoy with only 11k miles on it. Plus, the wife was getting tired of me spending money as it is. I tried listing it here but didn't get a big response. I should have the money by late next week without the hassle of trying to sell the car on my own. Plus, someone buying at the auction won't neccesarily see the maintence that needs to be done and pay more for it and I can remain annonomous and have a clear conscience.

Spectragod
08-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Well, since I have another MM, I couldn't justify the expense of the repairs. The money in my pocket was much more attractive to me. I still have one to enjoy with only 11k miles on it. Plus, the wife was getting tired of me spending money as it is. I tried listing it here but didn't get a big response. I should have the money by late next week without the hassle of trying to sell the car on my own. Plus, someone buying at the auction won't neccesarily see the maintence that needs to be done and pay more for it and I can remain annonomous and have a clear conscience.

As long as you have a clear conscience and don't have to be honest and accountable, that's all that counts....... hope your not raising children with those values. :mad2::flamer::flamer:

Zack
08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
How much do you want for it?

DEFYANT
08-18-2008, 03:20 PM
You could have sold it here and made more. Good luck.

Spectragod
08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45420 , is the post F.S., no mention about the problems you have listed, then you also say your going to keep it, and I wonder why it didn't sell??

You wanted 13.5K out of the car, do you realize what it will bring at the dealer wholesale auction???:laugh::laugh:

CRUZTAKER
08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
:whistle:

larryo340
08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
As long as you have a clear conscience and don't have to be honest and accountable, that's all that counts....... hope your not raising children with those values. :mad2::flamer::flamer:
^^^^^+1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He speaks like a true "car salesman" :flamer:

Vortech347
08-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Brakes? Brakes are like 300$ for pads/rotors on ebay. The air system is amazing simple as well. I completly redid the one on my 98' Eddie bauer explorer that had 4 air shocks. Welcome to maintaining a car. This is why I didn't get a BMW. Instead of 2k you'd have a 5k bill.

Expect under 10k at auction.

SilverSport
08-18-2008, 05:48 PM
It would have been a good deal for someone who does his own work. The headlamp control module can be permanently fixed with some soldering skills and an external relay (15 bucks). $300 for brakes and rotors. Air suspension does not go bad in 70k miles, maybe just needed a compressor or sensor Either way, no big deal. Tires are a normal expense. So instead of spending money to get a good buck selling it, you're going to lose at least 3k at the auction "dumping" it. I wish I lived closer, I'd give you the "auction" price in a half a heartbeat.

quota
08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
I believe the decision you took is good for you. And unless your car goes on the market without repair, well. you will probably make someone else happy !

JP

Spectragod
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Plus, someone buying at the auction won't neccesarily see the maintence that needs to be done and pay more for it and I can remain annonomous and have a clear conscience.

That tells me he is not fixing a thing.... "hope they don't see what is needed", I'll give you the $7500 you'll get for it at auction, at least it will get a good home and be well maintained.

Oh.... and if you think that you can't be held accountable, think again. I can happen, it has happened.... but, by all means, do what works for you.

whd507
08-18-2008, 06:32 PM
you can replace the whole air suspension for around $300 with a lifetime warranty on the bags. you have to replace the drier every so often, but so what? $20 bucks and 20 minutes every three years or so. brakes $50 for pads (once - lifetime) and mabey $100 for all four rotors. $450 for tires and as was said a few bucks to fix the lighting module. all for less than a grand, and it could all be done on one saturday.

somebody's getting a good deal, but it aint you. go for it I guess.

baltimoremm
08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
did it actually NEED all those things, or was the dealership just telling you it "needed it". i wouldve gotten a 2nd opinion before "dumping it". good luck with the sale

JAYSILVER04
08-19-2008, 08:39 AM
That tells me he is not fixing a thing.... "hope they don't see what is needed", I'll give you the $7500 you'll get for it at auction, at least it will get a good home and be well maintained.

Oh.... and if you think that you can't be held accountable, think again. I can happen, it has happened.... but, by all means, do what works for you.

Look bro, you don't seem to know much about the auction values on this car. I just checked MMR and two went through the auction last week with miles in the 80's and brought 10,400 and 10,900 in below avg condition. I'm fine with that. But, for me to sell the car to one of you guys, then something go wrong with it that I didn't "disclose", that wouldn't be right. But, someone like you would be the first to run your trap if that happened and would assume I omitted problems, or sold it under false pretenses. I have found it is better to let it go and not be the one that has to look someone in the face and lie to them for my own benefit. You, on the other hand, seem to have no problem with that. I hope you aren't raising your children with values like that!!

JAYSILVER04
08-19-2008, 08:41 AM
did it actually NEED all those things, or was the dealership just telling you it "needed it". i wouldve gotten a 2nd opinion before "dumping it". good luck with the sale

It needed them for sure. I was in the shop while they were looking it over and they showed me the issues. I have known the mechanic for a number of years, and i am confident he was telling me the right thing

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-19-2008, 08:55 AM
You don't check your brakes often enough to know they needed to be replaced? Yikes. Don't tell the buyer that.

JAYSILVER04
08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
You don't check your brakes often enough to know they needed to be replaced? Yikes. Don't tell the buyer that.

I knew it was coming and had planned to do all the expected maintence on the car because I planned on keeping it. But because I was able to get another one with 9k on it( at time of purchase), I decided that getting rid of it wasn't a bad idea. The auction the vehicle is going to is a "dealer only" auction and who cares if a "Stealership" gets stuck with the maintence, right? They are the ones that will have to fix it to make it retailable, so someone will get a good car once that is done. Grant it, who ever buys it will most likely pay more for it at the dealer because of the money the dealer has to put in it to make it right, but again, I don't have to worry about the "out of pocket expense" to be able to sell it and maximize the money I can get out of it. Instead, I get rid of the car fast and get close to what I would get if I took the time and money to fix it, then advertise and wait for the sale of the vehicle.

Eric-Blk2004
08-19-2008, 09:14 AM
What color was it

JAYSILVER04
08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
What color was it

Are you serious?? Stop the madness:lol:

08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
No I meant, I was surprised that an MM owner would be neglecting basics like brakes. It's not a saturn!

JAYSILVER04
08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
No I meant, I was surprised that an MM owner would be neglecting basics like brakes. It's not a saturn!

Wasn't neglected by any means!! 73k on the original brakes and I was trying to make them last as long as I could. They weren't completely gone, and I could have gotten away with just new pads and a resurface on the rotors, but i would rather just replace everything and make it perfect. But now that I'm not keeping it...........

KillJoy
08-19-2008, 10:49 AM
But now that I'm not keeping it...........

..... you are passing your "problems" onto someone else, and hoping they do not notice them until AFTER the transaction.

:up:

KillJoy

JAYSILVER04
08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
..... you are passing your "problems" onto someone else, and hoping they do not notice them until AFTER the transaction.

:up:

KillJoy

No. i'm selling the car at a dealer only auction where a dealer will pick it up and fix it before it goes to the general public

Eric-Blk2004
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Who really cares? And why post it? I am lost...

Like anyone has bought a PERFECT used car. I bought my Marauder and it had a few problems - and now I have an airbag light out of the blue shyt happens

JAYSILVER04
08-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Who really cares? And why post it? I am lost...

Like anyone has bought a PERFECT used car. I bought my Marauder and it had a few problems - and now I have an airbag light out of the blue shyt happens

You are absolutely correct!! I was trying to avoid all of this BS by just getting rid of the car at an auction. Guess you can't do anything without someone having something to say about it. I just wanted to let everyone know I was going down to one Marauder. Guess I should have kept it to myself, Then i wouldn't have had a barrage of sh#t thrown my way. I know better next time. So much for trying to do the right thing.Next time I guess I should just rip someone off instead of taking the hit myself!!

Spectragod
08-19-2008, 05:11 PM
You are absolutely correct!! I was trying to avoid all of this BS by just getting rid of the car at an auction. Guess you can't do anything without someone having something to say about it. I just wanted to let everyone know I was going down to one Marauder. Guess I should have kept it to myself, Then i wouldn't have had a barrage of sh#t thrown my way. I know better next time. So much for trying to do the right thing.Next time I guess I should just rip someone off instead of taking the hit myself!!

You could just try being honest, and selling it for what it is worth "as is", make the buyer sign off on it "as is" with known problems. Problem solved, dealer auctions are wholesale auctions, I worked in the car business long enough to know what cars sell for there.

MeadeRaudeR
08-19-2008, 05:25 PM
By running it thru the auction he isnt ripping off anyone. Auctions are buyer beware and you get what you pay for, if anyone ends up on the short end of the stick it will probably be jaysilver04 because I cant believe the car will bring much at auction. Sounds like he has another sweet marauder and can part with this one, making his old one available to someone who might actually drive it all the time. just my 2 pennies.

SilverSport
08-19-2008, 06:34 PM
I hope your auctions are bringing more money than my local Manheim auction is. Prices are real soft right now, I'd be surprised if your Marauder went through for more than 8k. Dealers are looking to pick up cars for less than Galves (low ball) at auctions because they know that most will need work. Best of luck, I hope you get more but I doubt it. Please let us know how it goes.

Marauderjack
08-20-2008, 04:12 AM
You have outline what you think it needs already.....so post a price and let one of us take a stab at it??:rolleyes:

Also, I think the use of the word "dump" in your subject line is what brought folks down on ya!!:confused:

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:D

JAYSILVER04
08-20-2008, 05:43 AM
You could just try being honest, and selling it for what it is worth "as is", make the buyer sign off on it "as is" with known problems. Problem solved, dealer auctions are wholesale auctions, I worked in the car business long enough to know what cars sell for there.

If you can get access to the Manhiem Auction report and look up what the last two Marauders brought, you will see that I should be no less then 10,500 and no more than 11,500. I'm in the car business too and have done my research as well. I wouldn't send it through if I thought it was gonna bring any less than 10,500

JAYSILVER04
08-20-2008, 05:46 AM
I hope your auctions are bringing more money than my local Manheim auction is. Prices are real soft right now, I'd be surprised if your Marauder went through for more than 8k. Dealers are looking to pick up cars for less than Galves (low ball) at auctions because they know that most will need work. Best of luck, I hope you get more but I doubt it. Please let us know how it goes.

You must be in the New York/New Jersey area or somewhere in the Northeast. We had five managers start here about 2 years ago from the Jersey area and after the first month of losing deals, my owner came in and threw the Galves book in the trash! The market must be different in your area.

BTW, We only have 2 of the 5 managers still working here!!

JAYSILVER04
08-20-2008, 05:47 AM
By running it thru the auction he isnt ripping off anyone. Auctions are buyer beware and you get what you pay for, if anyone ends up on the short end of the stick it will probably be jaysilver04 because I cant believe the car will bring much at auction. Sounds like he has another sweet marauder and can part with this one, making his old one available to someone who might actually drive it all the time. just my 2 pennies.

My point exactly!! Thank you

JAYSILVER04
08-20-2008, 05:49 AM
You have outline what you think it needs already.....so post a price and let one of us take a stab at it??:rolleyes:

Also, I think the use of the word "dump" in your subject line is what brought folks down on ya!!:confused:

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:D

It left on the truck yesterday to go to the sale. It goes through the lane Thursday morning. I will let everyone know what it did Friday afternoon.

Aren Jay
08-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Sounds like it was prime for a few mods to fix it up better than new.

Still think you should have sent the Avalon to the auction instead.

JAYSILVER04
08-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Sounds like it was prime for a few mods to fix it up better than new.

Still think you should have sent the Avalon to the auction instead.

I agree with you totally! If we could only have convinced my wife of that:lol:

08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
You kept an avalon instead of an MM? LOL

JAYSILVER04
08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
You kept an avalon instead of an MM? LOL

But its a nice Avalon:alone:. And I still have a Marauder:banana2:

SilverSport
08-20-2008, 06:23 PM
You must be in the New York/New Jersey area or somewhere in the Northeast. We had five managers start here about 2 years ago from the Jersey area and after the first month of losing deals, my owner came in and threw the Galves book in the trash! The market must be different in your area.

BTW, We only have 2 of the 5 managers still working here!!

LOL You guessed it, Hudson Valley NY 1 hour north of the city. Everybody goes by Galves around here. They can get away with it as long as everyone does it. Since the auction is nearby, close attention is given to what cars are going across for. Certain models are bringing even less than Galves.