PDA

View Full Version : I need tools

Motorhead350
08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I keep breaking my $30 set from Pep Boys and the plastic tool box is a total joke. I need to step up and buy something good. I am looking for something that I can take with me to junkyards and keep in the trunk. Something like a 125 piece tool set. What do you guys reccomend for companies or sets? I saw craftsmen has a 128 piece set I think, but I'm not too fond of them anymore, but I'm willing to listen.

What should I look into?

Pops
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Go to Sears and buy Craftsman as they have a lifetime warranty Dom. Price is not bad.

Eric-Blk2004
08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes +1 on lifetime warranty I break tools all day for fun just to get new ones. Craftsman is junk but when it breaks you get free ones.

Its a good hold you over until you man up and get snap on like the rest of the professionals.

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Dom, the pep boys ones dont have a lifetime warranty?

High-C
08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I have Craftsman tools and they seem to hold up for a Shade-Tree like myself... It's all about the price if you just want a good set for the trunk. I keep a small Allen ratchet set in a bad-ass leather case in the hatch of my Mustang. You just need the basics if it's only for the trunk. $.02

justbob
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm sure Mac or snap-on could help you out.

finster101
08-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm sure Mack or snap-on could help you out.

Absolutely, Mac, Matco, Snap-on they are perfect for you. As long as you are paying the profesional tech that owns them to use them.

ImpalaSlayer
08-19-2008, 02:55 PM
i own alot of craftsman tools. how ever i find there screw drivers arnt the greatest. i mean there decent for most things but i work on planes where almost everything is held on by screws and if the screw driver is at all messed up the screw will most likly strip. snap on is of corse awsome but are extremly expensive. but for in between pepboys price and craftsman price i find that Kobalt stuff is usualy pretty good for the money and i think they have a warenty as well.

magindat
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Realistically, Dom Husky from Home Depot are quite good. I have the black chrome set and they've been thru 2 supercharger installs. I find them to be a good value. I don't think you'll break 'em. The case is decent and I like that I can see that they're all there before I leave.

If you;re taking them to junkyards, you'll prolly want the shiny. The black are pretty, but they get lost easy!

Mike Poore
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Listen to John Kuhn, and the others of us who recommend Sears Craftsman. They have special kits on sale, sometimes at terrific deals. Watch for the tool sale fliers. Be careful and watch what's in them though, because sometimes they put weird stuff in the package you'll never use. A good selection of 3/8 drive sockets in Metric and US sizes along with metric and US open end and Box end wrenches are a good start. Usually they come in a nicely packaged travel or tool box.

Screw drivers are better left to one of the kits with a selection of bits of all sorts, including torx, and allen head, along with a couple of handles, again, nicely packaged; but believe me, they're worth the money. :twocents:

Ms. Denmark
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Bonney is high quality if you can still find them.:) Or SK tools. You'll be dead before they wear out.

Paul T. Casey
08-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Or SK tools. You'll be dead before they wear out.

True! I can't fault any of the recomendations here. Craftsman, SK, Matco, Snap On are all excellent. May I also add Klien to the list. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Nowadays, I try to only buy stuff made in the good ole USA. Not always an easy endeavor, but it helps me sleep better at night.

Master
08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Finally, it sucks to be you guys! Never thought I'd get to say that up here in Canada. You have no idea what you are missing by not having a Canadian Tire in your neighborhood. These guys are absolutely huge up here. Every town on the map has one. Before Walmart and the like moved up here they got pro-active and created mega-stores. And man, are they! Their tools all have lifetime no-hassle replacement gaurantee, they are REALLY tough - especially the Professional Series - and if one does break, there is always a Canadian Tire around the corner where you can get a replacement.
Better still, they have rotating sales every week, so if the kit you want isn't on sale this week, wait till next week and get it then.
Up here we may jokingly refer to it as "Crappy Tire", but if you check, there is hardly a shade-tree who isn't using their tools.
www.canadiantire.ca (http://www.canadiantire.ca)
And no, I do not work for them, nor am I paid to advertise. :)

PS
About 6 years ago I bought a $50 plastic (but pro series) 3 drawer tool chest with flip top. About two years in and the latches that kept the drawers in place let go. This year, I finally got around to emptying it out and taking it back to the store (a different one from where I bought it, but who cares since I didn't have a receipt anyway). I walk in, get a pass for the old one, meet a guy in the tool section, and he sets about routing out the latest greatest Pro Series that has replaced my long since discontinued unit. The replacement cost to me? $0.00. The value of the new case? $79.00.
How is that for easy and phenomenal? Plus, I don't have to wait for a stupid van to come around to the shop. I get the part when I need it, in whatever town I break it in.

justbob
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Crafstmen ratchets suck. So do their sockets, screwdrivers, ect. mostly all suck. +1 on the husky, S K, cobalt if on budget.

ctrlraven
08-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I have broken more Craftsmen sockets than I can count. I use a cheap set of Stanley everyday for work and Great Neck (Auto Zone) not one problem, heck I still use from time to time my Ace Hardware set I got back 10 years ago. I've got about $1500 just in regular sockets and I don't even want to know how much I've spent on impact sockets lol. I pieced my collection together besides the Stanley and Great Neck socket sets I bought for cheap.

Dom I would just go with whatever Craftsmen kit thing is on sale, they always have some 125 to 180 piece for sale for a decent price.

rvaldez1
08-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Sears Craftsman...they honor the warranty no matter how old/beat-up the tool is. If I were you, try garage sales, I have seen countless tool chests/sets go for dirt cheap because elderly folks are just trying to get rid of stuff. My uncle was GIVEN a rolling tool chest full of craftsman tools just to move it from the basement of a home.

knine
08-20-2008, 05:37 AM
"A $2000.00 tool supply. If you don't have this, you don't deserve a supercharger (turbocharger, etc) "..........Zack McGrath, May 2007

Aren Jay
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Sell your chevy J trucks and get a set of Marauder specific tools.

You will be happy with the tools, and your Marauder will be happy. That is all that counts.

Also selling your Blazer is good, you get to say goodbye. You get money, as much as you want, and you get tools too.

Your therapy starts the day you say goodbye. Regret the next day, but a Marauder or two will make that go away, just ask Zack.

Motorhead350
08-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Also selling your Blazer is good, you get to say goodbye. You get money, as much as you want, and you get tools too.

Today someone asked me if I would trade it for an SRT8 Jeep and give me $20,000 on top of it. I said nope and good bye. Do you think I would sell it for tools? HA! :P

Eric-Blk2004
08-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow Dom...

The SRT8 is SICK and um...20k is 20k.

Not that I believe you...but yes I would think it not too bright to turn that down

larryo340
08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Being in possession of tools does not mean you have the knowledge of how to use them. :rolleyes:

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
"A $2000.00 tool supply. If you don't have this, you don't deserve a supercharger (turbocharger, etc) "..........Zack McGrath, May 2007

:rofl: I remember this!

You know you're good when people are still quoting you a year and a half later.

Motorhead350
08-21-2008, 02:35 AM
:rofl: I remember this!

You know you're good when people are still quoting you a year and a half later.

Or someone really needs to get out more. :rolleyes:

Knine!