PDA

View Full Version : Close Call on the Highway

Bluerauder
08-25-2008, 11:14 AM
The wife and I traveled nearly 600 miles over the weekend. To and from Virginia Beach on Saturday and then to and from Baltimore on Sunday.

There was a real close call on Saturday evening (just before 7 PM) returning from VA Beach on I-64 west near Williamsburg. Traffic was heavy and running about 65-70 MPH. I was in the left lane gradually passing slower traffic in the right lane when all of the sudden a large rock appears in the right hand lane right behind a car trailer. This rock is about 10 pounds or so and is bouncing along the highway right near the white line reaching heights of about 6-7 feet as it rolls and bounces about 5 MPH slower than me.

At each hop, I am holding my breath and waiting for the rock to jump across the dotted white line and into my lane. Traffic in the right lane brakes hard and swerves to avoid the rock. I maintained speed and slid as far left as I could without running off the road. Fortunately, the rock stayed to the right and it was still hopping as I passed -- it came really close – not sure whether anyone sustained any damage but traffic fell far back behind me in the wake of the incident.

Here’s is what I think happened. A pickup truck in the right lane was hauling another pickup truck on a trailer. Since the driver made no attempt to swerve around a rock laying in the road, I suspect that the rock was actually on the trailer and fell off to start it bouncing at more than 60 MPH. It would have never gained that much speed and height if he had kicked it up from the road. Besides, hitting something that size with a wheel would have surely blown a tire. I am guessing that the guy used the rock as a chock block for the pickup he was hauling. The rock shook loose from all the movement and started bouncing down I-64. What an idiot.

The wife and I were fortunate. One bad bounce could have put that rock through the windshield or through the grill with major damage or injury.

BTW – we were in the wife’s ’06 Freestyle Limited. I wonder whether I would have been so cool and calm if it had happened to the MM.

Eric-Blk2004
08-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Damn dude that was close. I would not have chanced it and prolly just breaked to avoid it if possible - or sped up so I could avoid it. Crazy rocks...

Bluerauder
08-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Damn dude that was close. I would not have chanced it and prolly just breaked to avoid it if possible - or sped up so I could avoid it. Crazy rocks...
I did lift off the accelerator only momentarily then made the quick decision that I stood a better chance of getting by the rock by maintaining speed. I may have given it a little gas to get by faster -- sometimes my right foot has a mind of it own. ;) What I don't know is whether I would have taken the EXACT same actions in the Marauder. Probably -- but I just don't know --- and I don't want to repeat the exercise to find out.

Ms. Denmark
08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
How frightening Charlie! So relieved to hear you and the Missus are OK. (You must really be her hero now!);)

rayjay
08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow, that will get your attention. Glad you the Mrs were ok.

You were actually able to go 65-70 on that highway? Anytime I've driven there its always backed up for one reason or another, like some poor SOB having a heart attack on the shoulder and every rubber necker had to stop and look :shake:

Bluerauder
08-25-2008, 04:04 PM
How frightening Charlie! So relieved to hear you and the Missus are OK. (You must really be her hero now!);)
Yeah, her hero. ;) I think her exact words were: "So you didn't care whether it hit MY car." :rolleyes:

You were actually able to go 65-70 on that highway? Anytime I've driven there its always backed up for one reason or another ...
Ray, you're right. Usually it is stop-and-go heavy all the way from Hampton to I-295 before Richmond. We departed at about 5:30 PM and must have hit the timing just right. I made the 190 mile run in 3 hours averaging just over 63 MPH including a quick pit stop at the I-64 rest area about 10 miles after the "rock incident". Needed to check the drawers just to be sure. :rofl:

SC Cheesehead
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Dang Charlie!

Something like that happend to me, I'd have to pull over and clean out my pants.:o

Aren Jay
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow, something worth avoiding but you really have to judge the costs of any reckless actions.

I remember being on a school bike trip, on my 10 speed riding along a road and a truck passed the line of us on our bikes. I get hit square in the chest by a fist sized rock. Knocked me off my bike. Man did that hurt. I can just imagine what a big rock would have done to your Marauder let alone if it hit a window.