PDA

View Full Version : Aviator Transmission

Aren Jay
08-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Can an Aviator transmission and front wheel drive setup be put into a Marauder?

Thus giving a Marauder AWD?

Rocknthehawk
08-25-2008, 09:34 PM
anything is possible with enough time and money.

Aren Jay
08-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Anything???

Mike Poore
08-26-2008, 05:58 AM
Anything???

I was once told by Cynthia Shade, "never, not even if hell freezes over."

So far as your question is concerned, I think it would be a perfect waste of two great vehicles. I'm wondering, since they are both body on frame, if the wheelbase is such that the Aviator frame could be shortened or lengthened to accommodate the MM body, in which case, a swap might work. However, starting with a Crown Vic would be a better starting point to learn your lessons; and it may turn out to be a sizable list. :)

Aren Jay
08-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Thing is, the Aviator has a 1" shorter Wheelbase. Now I was thinking though, the transmission for the AWD Aviator does hook up to our engine no problem, it has the same engine after all. The rear drive shaft should also hook up no problem and the transmission itself has the fwd portion as part of it so how hard would it be to just put an Aviator transmission in a Marauder?

Also it is a 5 speed auto and the extra gear would help out a Marauder, with the right tune. Add in a good High Stall Torque Converter and you get an AWD Faster Marauder.

a_d_a_m
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
hot rod magazine did an article on some guy that 1/4 miles a new chevy silverado 4x4 with the 4wd on (with NOS) and beats the tar out of 2wd vehicles. AWD marauder = traction = that would actually be kinda neat...

juno
08-28-2008, 07:47 AM
How would you connect it to the front wheels? What would you do with that massive front crossmember?

Thing is, the Aviator has a 1" shorter Wheelbase. Now I was thinking though, the transmission for the AWD Aviator does hook up to our engine no problem, it has the same engine after all. The rear drive shaft should also hook up no problem and the transmission itself has the fwd portion as part of it so how hard would it be to just put an Aviator transmission in a Marauder?

Also it is a 5 speed auto and the extra gear would help out a Marauder, with the right tune. Add in a good High Stall Torque Converter and you get an AWD Faster Marauder.

Aren Jay
08-28-2008, 11:11 PM
First off I don't know how it is connected on the Aviator so I can't really say. But things can be made to fit, I'm just wondering how hard it would be to make them fit and what problems would exist.

1. massive front member problem.

2. ??? what else?

offroadkarter
08-29-2008, 12:23 AM
you would need either A. an 8.8 with 3.55 (or the same as in the rear) gears, or an IFS unit from a car with a simalar width and mounting locations

Or go all custom.

A SAS would be easiest probably.

freakstatus
08-29-2008, 12:47 AM
massive front member problem.

Hmm...I have this problem.;)

Mike Poore
08-29-2008, 03:45 AM
I still argue, the only way to do it is drop the MM body on the Aviator frame. :twocents:

juno
08-29-2008, 07:53 AM
I still argue, the only way to do it is drop the MM body on the Aviator frame. :twocents:

Mike, that is probably a better bet. The front of the tranny is behind the firewall on our cars, I see no way to get front axles to connect to the wheels without moving the motor forward quite a bit.

And I would love to have AWD in my MM!!!!

Aren Jay
08-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Would a Crown Vic have a Marauder like Frame or be more Aviator Friendly?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Are you for real? The CV is the same car underneath, minus the engine and interior.

Mike Poore
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Would a Crown Vic have a Marauder like Frame or be more Aviator Friendly?

That's what I was saying from the get-go. Get a Crown Vic to play with, to see if/how it's gonna work. :)

UncleLar
08-29-2008, 09:58 PM
4X4 Marauder...you could make some money in the winter plowing snow................lol, sorry,I just couldn't resist it.
But seriously I think all the added weight would just slow you down,100lbs is equal to .10 in the quarter.