PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting Aluminum

Dragcity
08-29-2008, 07:59 AM
So, has anyone sandblasted aluminum? I am considering cleaning up my upper and lower intake by sandblasting the exterior (as they are off the engine). After 70,000 miles in all sorts of weather, all the aluminum looks like poo....

Pops
08-29-2008, 08:01 AM
I think that it would pit up. If you do ask someone who does it. You may need to soda blast which is not so harsh.

Dragcity
08-29-2008, 08:14 AM
I just read it is NOT recommended for wheels as sand caused tiny fractures in the surface, thus weakening the wheel. Our intakes have rough casting anyway. I could lower the Psi so it's not so forceful, say to 60 Psi.

I do have a 5 lb bag of baking soda, maybe I'll try that?

How the heck do those guys polish them and make them look like they are forged aluminum? Wish I had the $$$ or time for that...

fastblackmerc
08-29-2008, 08:22 AM
How about glass bead blasting or walnut shells?

Dragcity
08-29-2008, 08:36 AM
The more research I do, the more I feel like I should just not bother....

Silver Paint ?????

Pops
08-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Polishing means lots of sanding first. It takes a lot of time!

Aren Jay
08-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm thinking they must have a giant rock polisher.

Dragcity
08-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Speaking of polishing rocks,

Nevermind....

Actually, I am using a stainless steel wire brush, small, like a toothbrush. It's working pretty darn good....

duhtroll
08-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Definitely bead blasting is the way to go. In our small town area I had to search for this service when I was having a compound bow repainted. But, it didn't mar the aluminum at all.

ImpalaSlayer
08-29-2008, 01:51 PM
i do it all the time no worrys. i work with alum almost every day (aircraft mechanic)

whd507
08-29-2008, 06:39 PM
aluminum oxide media works well on aluminum, I just did the timing cover on the 1971 429 in my LTD, but I'm painting it when done

Windsor58
08-29-2008, 06:51 PM
i do it all the time no worrys. i work with alum almost every day (aircraft mechanic)

On thin aluminum (like aircraft skin) sand blasting will take off a small amount of aluminum. When I had my Beech A35 repainted I had them use chemical peel so I wouldn't have to worry about the AD about rear fuselage skin thickness. On a intake manifold, though, I wouldn't think that taking off a very thin layer would make any difference (as long as it is done right). Just make sure to clean it thoroughly to make sure there isn't any sand left in it before you reinstall it. Not sure how it would look, though.

ImpalaSlayer
08-29-2008, 09:06 PM
On thin aluminum (like aircraft skin) sand blasting will take off a small amount of aluminum. When I had my Beech A35 repainted I had them use chemical peel so I wouldn't have to worry about the AD about rear fuselage skin thickness. On a intake manifold, though, I wouldn't think that taking off a very thin layer would make any difference (as long as it is done right). Just make sure to clean it thoroughly to make sure there isn't any sand left in it before you reinstall it. Not sure how it would look, though.

well i didnt bean sheet metal. ment like cast pieces. a35, is that a bonanza?

ImpalaSlayer
08-29-2008, 09:07 PM
well i didnt mean on sheet metal. i ment like cast peices. a35, thats a bonanza isnt it?

Windsor58
08-29-2008, 11:04 PM
well i didnt mean on sheet metal. i ment like cast peices. a35, thats a bonanza isnt it?

Yes. 1949.

ImpalaSlayer
08-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Yes. 1949.

hijack alert!

my grandfather has a v-tail. i think its a 47? not sure of the model number

Windsor58
08-31-2008, 05:22 PM
They are nice. Sadly, mine is just collecting dust for the last 4 years. I broke my back and had some complications so am not yet back to where I could get my medical back (if I can at all). I go out and start it up and run it for a while on the ground, but some of the seals are starting to leak on it from sitting so much (I don't do it often enough). If your grandfather has a 47, he has one of the first ones. They started making them in 47. I like the early ones. They go faster for the horspower due to the short fuselage. Mine will cruise at 160 statute mph and burns less than 9 gal/hr. I inherited it from my father when he passed away, otherwise, I could not have afforded it.