PDA

View Full Version : tire question ???

SILVERSURFER03
09-02-2008, 07:38 AM
is it possable to run front tire size all the way around on a 300b car??

and if so what effect would it have on abs/track/speedo.

any input would be greatly apprec.

fastblackmerc
09-02-2008, 07:46 AM

No affect on the ABS.

Speedo will be off a couple of miles.

You'll have to remember to turn off the Traction Control whenever you start the MM.

SC Cheesehead
09-02-2008, 07:49 AM

Don't know about the speedo (probably minimal), but T/C will be affected. I ran 245/55's (rears) on all four corners on mine for a while. Just punch off the T/C whenever you start up the car, and no problems. If you forget, the car will help you "remember" as soon as you punch it, say going up a hill, or trying to accelerate up to speed on a merge ramp.

SILVERSURFER03
09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
If you forget, the car will help you "remember" as soon as you punch it, say going up a hill, or trying to accelerate up to speed on a merge ramp.[/quote]

what will the light come on will just fall flat ???

SID210SA
09-02-2008, 08:09 AM
The light will come on and the t/c will think you are slipping

SC Cheesehead
09-02-2008, 08:37 AM
The light will come on and the t/c will think you are slipping

Yup, applying the brakes accordingly, so the more you try to accelerate, the harder the brakes are applied, and the more you slow down.....been there, done that!:o

SILVERSURFER03
09-02-2008, 08:40 AM
oh i see said the blind man

Bluerauder
09-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Ask HotRodMercury. ;) Didn't he just ask the same question here? >>>> http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47061&highlight=tiers. Oops, sorry. He asked about "tiers". :rolleyes:. Different question.

Krytin
09-02-2008, 09:00 AM
If you are going to run the same size tires - try running a little wider. The 255's fit with no rubbing issues (unless you lower the car too much).
By the way, I've never properly thanked you for the new trunk emblem I got from you at Carlisle. It is a great improvement over the "nodding" God's Head that was there!

SC Cheesehead
09-02-2008, 09:27 AM
If you are going to run the same size tires - try running a little wider. The 255's fit with no rubbing issues (unless you lower the car too much).
By the way, I've never properly thanked you for the new trunk emblem I got from you at Carlisle. It is a great improvement over the "nodding" God's Head that was there!

Yeah, that's what I originally wanted to do with mine; go 255/55's in all four corners (either Falkens or Generals), but the guys at the tire shop told me that I'd have clearance issues on the front (BTW, I'm running stock height). Ended up going with OEM BFGs in the front and General Grabbers in the back. This got me the raked look back, and actually it's a bit more obvious with the 855's but I lost my ability to rotate the tires.

Oh well, will have to see how these wear, and then maybe go another route next time it's time to replace the tires.

ctrlraven
09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
I did that when the stock rears were out of stock and both of my rears were done. I just got in the habit of turning the traction control off as soon as I started the car up and still do it. Your speedo will read I think about 3-5mph faster than you are actually going.

If you have a Xcal2 tuner you can just adjust the revs per mile to correct the speedo.

SILVERSURFER03
09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
the fronts are 235/50/18 and wanted to run the same on the rear ???? if i go 255 what brand ???

Krytin
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
The 255 45 Nitto Redlines are great but I don't think they are available anymore.
Any brand in that size will fit. It depends on your preference and if you want a high performance summer/rain only tire or an all season.