PDA

View Full Version : I am not stupid

Motorhead350
09-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I took in the K5 to get an estimate and it exceeds the currency value of the truck. Turns out I really need a new body because of how bad the floors have rotted. The guy that hit me will no longer pick up his phone or call me back... this is going to get fun. I already found a parts Blazer in CA for 1/3 of my trucks value. So it looks like I am going to have to replace the whole truck from the dash back to the tailgate because there is no where to weld the rockers anymore... it's all rotted away. Luckly this won't be my dollar completely, but it looks like I will have to put a little cash in to make it 100% and right now couldn't be a worse time... we'll see what happens.

If I wasn't so attached to the truck it would be wise to scrap it, but looks like it's going to be rebuilt. It will be a Mopar. Most Original Parts Already Replaced.

Some think I'm stupid for this, but I don't think there are many people these days that ever become attached to cars anymore... nothing new is really that exciting.

Ok I'm off to drive the old K5 to Guitar Center! :D

Rocknthehawk
09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
You said you filed a police report, right?

This is what everyone said would happen.

I can't hate on you wanting to swap bodies...assuming the chassis is good. I've got my own money pit, so I understand where you're coming from a bit

justbob
09-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I get it and i've done it. Some cars are worth a rebirth and some are just crap for life. It seems that you know what you have.

Merc220A
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
After replacing all this stuff....is it really the same truck anymore...ya know what I mean? But I do understand being attached to a car. I love my Grand Marquis and would never part with it. It was the first car I bought on my own and I will continue to drive it.

ImpalaSlayer
09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
i love my truck and dont think i could ever sell it. just the fact of knowing i can destroy almost anything i hit is fun lol

Motorhead350
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
i love my truck and dont think i could ever sell it. just the fact of knowing i can destroy almost anything i hit is fun lol

I can do that too, but anything behind my dash is a weak spot apparently.

Aren Jay
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
What would happen if you took the engine and everything in front of the dash and put it in your pickup. You would transfere the soul of your K5 to your pickup and it would live on.

You could then take the rest of your K5 and make a cabin or tree house or fort etc...

TAKEDOWN
09-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Dom do what makes you happy, because at the end of it all, you answer to yourself!

Motorhead350
09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
What would happen if you took the engine and everything in front of the dash and put it in your pickup.

It isn't the factory engine and it's on it's 5th transmission so it wouldn't really be the soul of the truck.

Andrew you know I'm keeping it for life and by the time I'm done I'm sure it'll be parts from 23 dirrerent trucks. ;)

Bradley G
09-03-2008, 03:30 AM
If you dump a bunch of money in thew K-5, "yes you are":P
Maybe it's time to move on.

Motorhead350
09-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Maybe it's time to move on.

Move on and find parts for it. I'm sick of these auto insurance delays.

DOOM
09-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Keep that thing running dom :up:

Motorhead350
09-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm never giving it up Jake!

Mike Poore
09-04-2008, 04:24 AM
It isn't the factory engine and it's on it's 5th transmission so it wouldn't really be the soul of the truck.

Andrew you know I'm keeping it for life and by the time I'm done I'm sure it'll be parts from 23 dirrerent trucks. ;)

With the history of you and that K-5 "Christene" comes to mind; but so far as stupid?

I had a sign in my lab....

"YOU CAN BE SINCERE ....AND STILL BE STUPID" ;)

Leadfoot281
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Keeping a dailly driven K5 Blazer going in the salty roads of Chicago is a recipe for financial ruin IMO.

I have a toolbox. In the bottom of it is a peice of everycar I've ever owned. Here's a short list of some of those neat things I have there.

Starter bolt off my first car, a 454 powered '74 Caprice. That one bolt led me to loosing my DL in two states before I was 18 years old.

An oil fouled plug from Fairmont #3 that I bought with a "rebuilt" motor. This led to my first engine swap.

A cig lighter from Fairmont #2 that would pop out and land in the backseat when it got hot.

Burned out flasher relay from Fairmont #1 that got me pulled over in Hardees drive through lane. Yep, he pulled in behind me with his rollers going as I was ordering!

US padlock from '85 CUCV Army truck.

A 4"x4" hunk of quarter panel from my '88 Suzuki Samuri. It fell off when my girlfriend slammed the door. Talk about a dirty, cheap, smokey, high milage wreck! The Samuri was fun too.

Uriah Heep cassette tape I found in '78 Ford Granada.

Melted dimmer switch from Fairmont #4. (that was a fun one).

Everytime I dig through that toolbox I'm reminded of the good times I had with these rides. I'm going to recommend you do something similar.

Motorhead350
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
There is also a saying I hear from almost everyone who is a devoted car nut "I should have never got rid of my first car!"

Motorhead350
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I found a doner for $800 from the south with a six month old engine. Blazer parts and an engine for the C-10. Take that everyone else!!!.... except Jake and a few others.

UncleLar
09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
It sounds like you're going to have to cut off everything body wise from your K5 from the cowl back and the Blazer,then weld the Blazer body onto the K5 cowl.BUT,before you do talk to the Illinois State Troopers in the Elgin Auto Theft unit and see what you're in for legally,there are hidden numbers on both vehicles and you could get yourself in a bind and possibly lose your truck if things aren't done legally strictly by the book.They might issue you a new VIN tag and rivet it into your door jamb and issue you a new title after you dot all the i's and cross all the t's and jump thru the hoops.
I had a Buick Regal I bought from someone I knew that had been stolen and recovered.all the thieves took were the VIN tag from the dash and the cool Buick Magnum 500 style wheels and tires.The troopers out there put it up in the air,found the hidden VIN numbers and put a new special VIN tag in the body inside the left front door.
Call them and tell them what you're going to do and make sure you follow their instructions/advice,please.

Motorhead350
09-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks for advice I didn't even think of that!

KillJoy
09-06-2008, 05:06 AM
My understanding Dominick, from the past, is that YOU are not mechanically inclined, cannot do your own repairs, cannot weld, do not know body work, blah blah blah. That tells me that you are probably going to have to pay someone to do all of this, or invest a LOT of time and money into getting the skills / tools necessary.

So..... I disagree w/ the Thread's Title.

:up:

KillJoy

Leadfoot281
09-06-2008, 06:47 AM
There is also a saying I hear from almost everyone who is a devoted car nut "I should have never got rid of my first car!"

Yeah, and those devoted car nuts had a '68 Charger, K-code Mustang or a '70 GSX as a first car.

My first car looked as if it had been stored in the great salt lake for a few years. Even today you can buy 10 of them for the cost of restoring the one I had.

Just warning ya man....