PDA

View Full Version : Google's Entry in the Browser Wars

BruteForce
09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Google Chrome (BETA) for Windows. Installed it yesterday and haven't had any problems yet.

http://www.google.com/chrome

Bigdogjim
09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
So in a "nut shell" what is the advantage over other browsers????

TooManyFords
09-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Chrome is my new default browser! This thing is F A S T ! ! !

TiTo35
09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I am using it now...its...ok...I will check back if something changes...

BruteForce
09-03-2008, 12:11 PM

I think the long term plan is tighter integration with other Google apps. I watched a interview with one of the propeller heads in charge and he mentioned that the browser came out of running into road blocks with other browsers in trying to do new and wonderful things (gawd knowz what).

For now, its just a curiosity. It did import history, bookmarks, and even password from Firefox 3 which was nice. Not a mention of IE imports though.

PS. There is also an Microsoft IE8 beta out but I haven't tried it yet. That too is heading in the direction of tight integration with online apps but of the MS domain.

CRC
09-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Started using it yesterday, so far I like the speed

Breadfan
09-03-2008, 03:25 PM
No thank you, I may try it but just like gmail I'll never trust it.

Ms. Denmark
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Just started using it an hour ago......we'll see.:)

Breadfan
09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
From Google's license agreement:

By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services.Don't get me wrong I like the innovative tools Google has put out and they do a great job but behind all the goody goody is stuff like this. Most techies are still too busy yelling at Micro$oft to see where Google is headed. I used GoogleEarth and Maps and really enjoy them. I have a Gmail account, and will probably try Chrome. However their stats gathering makes me not want to use their tools for my everyday information exchange, and I highly doubt Chrome will become allowed software at many places of business especially those dealing with sensitive information or sensitive to security concerns. Also bear in mind like Gmail, Chrome has the potential (maybe never will but has potential) to provide targeted ads. Gmail does this by reading your email, how do you think Chrome would do it, and where exactly is that information stored and used?

Whether or not the excerpt from the EULA above could ever be upheld in court, it's the audacity behind it that should be concerning. Google has managed to maintain a very good "we love everyone" reputation but what are they really saying with stuff like the above? Peel away the layers of fluff and what lays below?

Gmail and Chrome - use at your own risk!

MM2004
09-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Comparing Chrome to IE would be the same as comparing notepad to MS Word.

They both do basically the same thing with notepad being very scaled down.

Explains why Chrome is faster.

Chrome, like FireFox, will not be allowed in a Corporate environment. Legally anyway.

Based upon what Mike posted above, I'll pass.

Mike.

justbob
09-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Chrome = fast:lol:

offroadkarter
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM
ill stick with firefox V3.0

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/firefoxskin2.jpg

Lets see chrome do that ;)

KillJoy
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
ANYTHING you do online.... you should be leary of.

<PERIOD>

KillJoy

BruteForce
09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Once it was pointed out to them they removed the onerous sections saying that they used a boilerplate EULA. That's what happens when you skip the lawyers review.

From Google's license agreement:

Don't get me wrong I like the innovative tools Google has put out and they do a great job but behind all the goody goody is stuff like this. Most techies are still too busy yelling at Micro$oft to see where Google is headed. I used GoogleEarth and Maps and really enjoy them. I have a Gmail account, and will probably try Chrome. However their stats gathering makes me not want to use their tools for my everyday information exchange, and I highly doubt Chrome will become allowed software at many places of business especially those dealing with sensitive information or sensitive to security concerns. Also bear in mind like Gmail, Chrome has the potential (maybe never will but has potential) to provide targeted ads. Gmail does this by reading your email, how do you think Chrome would do it, and where exactly is that information stored and used?

Whether or not the excerpt from the EULA above could ever be upheld in court, it's the audacity behind it that should be concerning. Google has managed to maintain a very good "we love everyone" reputation but what are they really saying with stuff like the above? Peel away the layers of fluff and what lays below?

Gmail and Chrome - use at your own risk!