PDA

View Full Version : Building the Ultimate Ford Based Marauder

modularmuscle
09-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey MM Clan!

I'm not new to the board as a guest, but this officially my first post here. I've taken a strong interest in these cars after evaluating what my next build is going to be.

Let me also state...The word "Ultimate" is different for everybody. My interpretation as of right now is a car that can handle it all, with minimum breakage, and still be a useful car in rain, cold weather and daily use. (thought I don't drive cars daily--I work from home doing web development)

In the interest of needing a very large car that seats 2 adults and (now) four kids (8,6,3, and 1), I've selected to replace my modified 06 Mustang GT with a Marauder. This was the car I wanted back in 04 and should have purchased but didn't. However given the prices in the market it looks like I might have saved my self some negative equity by not buying one new (however I lost my ass on the 03 Cobra that I bought, modified and then sold!!)

Anyway, I'm getting into the market to now build what I'd call my Ultimate version of the Marauder. I'd like your help in designing how the car could be layed out on paper and which model of the car (03-04, 300A-B etc) I should be targeting for the project (I own a shop out in Naperville IL and we do all the work ourselved except paintwork which we outsource to a partner bodyshop)

The car will have to qualify for the following roles:

Operation of less than 10K miles a year (I don't commute for work)
Retaining Power Steering, brakes and A/C
Needs to be able two adults up front, and carry 4 properly seatbelted children under the ages of 8 years old in a back seat (with a custom modified seat and belt setup that seat 4 kids but doesn't sit any adults--this car only gets used with family anyway)
Needs to operate on the street on 93 pump, and at the track on 108 through a duel comparment fuel tank (we created one for the stang, the pump pulled from tank that was rewelded to hold 70/30 pump and race fuel respectivly)
Car needs to be the full bodied full interior looking Marauder (reduced weight will only be allowed so long as integrity and safety aren't compromised) Mostly rotating mass and any body panel that can be reproiduced in carbon fiber
Capable of consistant 10.50's on a drag radial tire through full exhaust
Car won't be towed to the track. It's a street car!
Modifications that I have planned thus far for the base car are: (budgeted total Mods are 40K or less)

Shelby headed Iron blocked 5.4L stroker 4-valve, Single Turbo/intercooler
Refitted electronically shifted Automatic trans and custom converter and NHRA safety requirements
Complete Ford 9inch rear with ABS rings and aftermarket brakes, aftermarket driveshaft
Complete aftermarket rear suspension (Metco)
Needed Frame Reinforcement Front to rear
Safety equipment per NHRA for 10.50 or slower slips
Custom-width rear factory Marauder wheels
JUST ADDED - Quarter mile consistancy, weather tunable setup (interesting with the turbo)

Any other ideas or suggestions on the build? Tune will be performed at SD Concepts in RI.

Thanks Guys!

justbob
09-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome, i'm in wheaton she should hook up.

FordNut
09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Some of the design criteria are mutually exclusive. Seat 4 kids in the rear, with a roll cage? 5.4 DOHC won't fit under AC system and brake booster. So far, the only Marauders in the 10's are on slicks, not drag radials.

jdando
09-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Some of the design criteria are mutually exclusive. Seat 4 kids in the rear, with a roll cage? 5.4 DOHC won't fit under AC system and brake booster. So far, the only Marauders in the 10's are on slicks, not drag radials.

Yeah, what he said :)

Welcome!

Vortech347
09-04-2008, 04:41 PM
You won't do it on drag radials, no offence to your dreams unless you get around 800ish to the wheels with the weight they have.

My dream setup would be a 5.1 stroker, 3.4L Whipple, and let it rip. You won't need a turbo. You also won't need a 9" if you build the 8.8 correctly.

There is someone on here thats kinda already done what you did. He's procharged and runs high 10's, drives it 90 miles back n' forth to the track. Also The Prorauder is pretty sick too...Although I havn't seen any times posted from that custom ride yet.

Black_Noise
09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
check out the trilogy car, its 10.30s, but HIGHLY modified

jgc61sr2002
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Welcome aboard.:D

modularmuscle
09-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes...

reasons for my mod choices, and remember I've built a ton of really fast other cars and have drag raced them all (8 second duster, 9 second IRS 03 cobra, 10 sec 383 roadrunner, 67 Camaro 540 8.20's street car)

Reason the 9 inch - I've invested equal money in the 8.8 and by no means do I think its a bad unit. However, starting with a fresh slate, there are 20 choices for every one that the 8.8 offers (gears, axles, housing ends, brakes etc) the housing will be an aftermarket unit. I'm basically thinking that to move a 4000 lb+ car into the 10's (and maybe later into the 9's) I don't want to have to make a change later. I prefer this to be a one time thing.

Reason for the Turbo - Hood clearance, the ability to tune power levels, and frankly as a personal choice because the sound of the turbo is just unbeatable. I ran turbo buicks for years and learned alot about how to tune them. I did 3 blower changes on my cobra, and did the procharger units on the B-1 engines we ran in the Duster (we did 1500 hp on 103 octane intercooled with a 400 inch based mopar B block with a D3M procharger)

4 Seats with a roll cage will fit - The interior will be slightly redesigned with the car as close to the body edges as possible (I already worked this up in my 2003 Grand Marquis)

Drag radials aren't a must---as I'll certainly have slicks prepared, but there has to be a way for this car to weight transfer in a large drag radial. Testing will prove this out on whether or not it will work...it will be interesting.

Thanks FordNut - The car has to have A/C so maybe the 5.4 isn't the engine base of choice isn't the way to go. I just really like the idea of the deck height and cubes of the 5.4, but maybe the 4.6 deck is the way to go. I was thinking to have more than necessary to start might be better, but if its really going to jazz the other items like the firewall.

What is the current record holder for ET's on these cars?

I'm really excited to be part of this group guys. These cars are very cool and I wish I could have spent the last 5 years owning (and investing in!) one of them.

What about color choice? Is toreader red the rarest...or should I just go black? ideas?

Aren Jay
09-04-2008, 07:01 PM
4 kids in the back seat are going to be a problem, car seats for kids, that are safe, are wide and 4 likely will not fit even in a Marauder.

A Chysler Executive Limo (K car form 1983-8) no problem, but not all in a row. Said car has jump seat. Now Jump seats might be possible in a Lincoln TownCar L but you would have to put a divider or a rollbar/cage in. But you plan to do that anyway. The Towncar L is just a little bit heavier but has all steel body panels.

Just for the four kids seats alone I would have to say a Marauder isn't going to work.

Now I read your above post but I'm skeptical about this working and being safe, it's your kids in the back not four dogs or cats, you want it to be safe. A side hit and your kids seats will shatter rather than move with the hit.

Have you considered making a Lincoln Aviator or Navigator go fast?

MarauderTJA
09-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Negative:shake:, FYI my 10.9 et was on Nitto Drag Radials Brian..

MarauderTJA
09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey MM Clan!

I'm not new to the board as a guest, but this officially my first post here. I've taken a strong interest in these cars after evaluating what my next build is going to be.

In the interest of needing a very large car that seats 2 adults and (now) four kids, I've selected to replace my modified 06 Mustang GT with a Marauder. This was the car I wanted back in 04 and should have purchased but didn't. However given the prices in the market it looks like I might have saved my self some negative equity by not buying one new (however I lost my ass on the 03 Cobra that I bought, modified and then sold!!)

Anyway, I'm getting into the market to now build what I'd call my Ultimate version of the Marauder. I'd like your help in designing how the car could be layed out on paper and which model of the car (03-04, 300A-B etc) I should be targeting for the project (I own a shop out in Naperville IL and we do all the work ourselved except paintwork which we outsource to a partner bodyshop)

Needs to be able two adults up front, and carry 4 properly seatbelted children under the ages of 8 years old in a back seat (with a custom modified seat and belt setup that seat 4 kids but doesn't sit any adults--this car only gets used with family anyway)
Needs to operate on the street on 93 pump, and at the track on 108 through a duel comparment fuel tank (we created one for the stang, the pump pulled from tank that was rewelded to hold 70/30 pump and race fuel respectivly)
Car needs to be the full bodied full interior looking Marauder (reduced weight will only be allowed so long as integrity and safety aren't compromised) Mostly rotating mass and any body panel that can be reproiduced in carbon fiber
Modifications that I have planned thus far for the base car are: (budgeted total Mods are 40K or less)

Shelby based 5.4L stroker 4-valve headed engine, Turbocharged
Refitted electronically shifted Automatic trans and custom converter and safety equipment
Complete Ford 9inch rear with ABS rings and aftermarket brakes, aftermarket driveshaft
Complete aftermarket rear suspension
Any other ideas or suggestions on the build? Tune will be performed at SD Concepts in RI.

Thanks Guys!

Prepare to spend a lot of money:eek:. I know. Consistant 10.5 ets will be extremely difficult. But, best of luck with your project:beer:. I spent four years on mine. And it has been worth every penny.:banana2:

FordNut
09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Reason the 9 inch - I've invested equal money in the 8.8 and by no means do I think its a bad unit. However, starting with a fresh slate, there are 20 choices for every one that the 8.8 offers (gears, axles, housing ends, brakes etc) the housing will be an aftermarket unit. I'm basically thinking that to move a 4000 lb+ car into the 10's (and maybe later into the 9's) I don't want to have to make a change later. I prefer this to be a one time thing.

Reason for the Turbo - Hood clearance, the ability to tune power levels, and frankly as a personal choice because the sound of the turbo is just unbeatable. I ran turbo buicks for years and learned alot about how to tune them. I did 3 blower changes on my cobra, and did the procharger units on the B-1 engines we ran in the Duster (we did 1500 hp on 103 octane intercooled with a 400 inch based mopar B block with a D3M procharger)

Thanks FordNut - The car has to have A/C so maybe the 5.4 isn't the engine base of choice isn't the way to go. I just really like the idea of the deck height and cubes of the 5.4, but maybe the 4.6 deck is the way to go. I was thinking to have more than necessary to start might be better, but if its really going to jazz the other items like the firewall.

Biggest problem with the 9" is the rear suspension. It has a watts link that connects to a stud on the the 8.8" just above the yoke. The 9" will have to have some sort of custom design to fit this.

Biggest problem with the turbo is exhaust pipe routing. Unlike the Mustang's unibody, we have a full frame as well as a big, beefy crossmember for mounting the engine and suspension. Routing is very difficult. The tubing for every turbo setup I've seen in a Marauder runs under the crossmember and gets banged up pretty bad since it's so close to the road.

A 5.4 SOHC will fit, but the deck height combined with 4V head size makes the 5.4 DOHC too big. A 5.3 big bore stroker can be put together with a 4.6 deck height. It's big $$$.

I believe the record is 10.3 and it is with a blower + nitrous. There have been 3 Marauders in the 10's to my knowledge, and all 3 have been with blower + nitrous.

MarauderTJA
09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Biggest problem with the 9" is the rear suspension. It has a watts link that connects to a stud on the the 8.8" just above the yoke. The 9" will have to have some sort of custom design to fit this.

Biggest problem with the turbo is exhaust pipe routing. Unlike the Mustang's unibody, we have a full frame as well as a big, beefy crossmember for mounting the engine and suspension. Routing is very difficult. The tubing for every turbo setup I've seen in a Marauder runs under the crossmember and gets banged up pretty bad since it's so close to the road.

A 5.4 SOHC will fit, but the deck height combined with 4V head size makes the 5.4 DOHC too big. A 5.3 big bore stroker can be put together with a 4.6 deck height. It's big $$$.

I believe the record is 10.3 and it is with a blower + nitrous. There have been 3 Marauders in the 10's to my knowledge, and all 3 have been with blower + nitrous.

Once your car is ready, there will be four.....:beer:.

FordNut
09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Negative:shake:, FYI my 10.9 et was on Nitto Drag Radials Brian..

Cool, I'm glad to hear that. I'm planning to stick with the Nitto DR too. Or maybe I'll try the MT if these won't stick?

FordNut
09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Once your car is ready, there will be four.....:beer:.

Maybe, but no giggly gas for me!

MarauderTJA
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe, but no giggly gas for me!

Maybe not right away, but we'll see;)............things can change Mr. Whipple.

Vortech347
09-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Good luck on things!!

If you're going so far with this project why not get a Vic and make it into a marauder look alike since you're gona ditch most of the marauder specific stuff anyway... You could get whatever color you want and it would be cheaper. Any of the colored ones other than black are rare. I'm the kinda guy that likes to see unique cars get moddied, but a mod/cut-up job like this on marauder and myself and others may want you to NOT use one of the rare colored ones and you'll take flack for it. One of the colors has almost the same production numbers of the Cobra R.

A project like this I'd start on a 2v and put marauder stuff on it.

Aren Jay
09-04-2008, 07:31 PM
What about color choice? Is toreader red the rarest...or should I just go black? ideas?

Best yes, and rarest in 2004 at 981 cars we have a rare car.

But in 2003 there were only 327 Blue Marauders made. hard to come by and one of the DTR's was painted blue it is the only blue 04.

Black and silver, there aren't any of those on the road. (sarcastic)

modularmuscle
09-04-2008, 07:32 PM
4 kids in the back seat are going to be a problem, car seats for kids, that are safe, are wide and 4 likely will not fit even in a Marauder.

A Chysler Executive Limo (K car form 1983-8) no problem, but not all in a row. Said car has jump seat. Now Jump seats might be possible in a Lincoln TownCar L but you would have to put a divider or a rollbar/cage in. But you plan to do that anyway. The Towncar L is just a little bit heavier but has all steel body panels.

Just for the four kids seats alone I would have to say a Marauder isn't going to work.

Now I read your above post but I'm skeptical about this working and being safe, it's your kids in the back not four dogs or cats, you want it to be safe. A side hit and your kids seats will shatter rather than move with the hit.

Have you considered making a Lincoln Aviator or Navigator go fast?

There won't be car seats...the rear back and bottom assembly themselves will be molded to fit 4 little asses side by side, with submarine belts for each child. Their hips are 1/2 to 3/4 the width of an adults...the seatbelts will be reinforced to the cage back bar that will run between the wells. I already did this to a 69 roadrunner and had the local police department approve it. Its really cool looking and safer than a "belt-in" seat. I do appreciate your concern though...and keep in mind this is just for travel, but never for doing anything but drive safely in the car.

FYI - I also drove a 03 cobra powered Aviator as a daily for two years (the original long block from my other car - 13.30's - built by PHP in Jackson)

2,4shofast
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
The current Marauder record is 10.31@131 S/C with Nitrous and stripped.

modularmuscle
09-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Good luck on things!!

If you're going so far with this project why not get a Vic and make it into a marauder look alike since you're gona ditch most of the marauder specific stuff anyway... You could get whatever color you want and it would be cheaper. Any of the colored ones other than black are rare. I'm the kinda guy that likes to see unique cars get moddied, but a mod/cut-up job like this on marauder and myself and others may want you to NOT use one of the rare colored ones and you'll take flack for it. One of the colors has almost the same production numbers of the Cobra R.

While I appreciate your concern for keeping these cars for the sake of history and originality, this car won't get destroyed. I've always had a GM or a Vic, but I really want the MM.

Most of what I built gets very well taken care of and original parts get shelved. From what I can tell there are enough of these cars around and most of them seem to be well taken care of. I'm sad they quit making it though...damn profit margins of Ford. This car isn't gonna turn into a bracket car or anything. I believe that black serves as the sort of icon but I really like the red cars. I'm not into the blue and from the sound of it, its way to rare to screw with. Silver will match my other cars (Silver Excursion, Silver Grand Marquis, Silver GT, Silver Minivan--yeah, we like silver) and there is one in Antioch IL on traderonline.com

I think showing the local crowd that a 4dr panther can kick some serious 1/4 mile ass is a good PR move for the whole group. I'd love to hold the 9 sec title and its only a matter of engineering and money.

MarauderTJA
09-04-2008, 07:55 PM
While I appreciate your concern for keeping these cars for the sake of history and originality, this car won't get destroyed. I've always had a GM or a Vic, but I really want the MM.

Most of what I built gets very well taken care of and original parts get shelved. From what I can tell there are enough of these cars around and most of them seem to be well taken care of. I'm sad they quit making it though...damn profit margins of Ford. This car isn't gonna turn into a bracket car or anything. I believe that black serves as the sort of icon but I really like the red cars. I'm not into the blue and from the sound of it, its way to rare to screw with. Silver will match my other cars (Silver Excursion, Silver Grand Marquis, Silver GT, Silver Minivan--yeah, we like silver) and there is one in Antioch IL on traderonline.com

I think showing the local crowd that a 4dr panther can kick some serious 1/4 mile ass is a good PR move for the whole group. I'd love to hold the 9 sec title and its only a matter of engineering and money.

There are two people that more than likely will be in the nines with race Marauders, possibly this year at SSHS8. Either Jerry Barnes - Triolgy 1 or MartyO. And the statement above "MONEY & engineering is totally true.

TAKEDOWN
09-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Modularmuscle... welcome to the site and hello from Chicago/down the road, you sure aren't messin around, glad to know your on our side!

J D
09-04-2008, 08:21 PM
A bit late, but welcome again. I see right now you're gonna have a lotta :up:'s here. I'll leave the engineering stuff to you and those who know but as far as choice in car, I'd say go with a black. They're just that much cooler to run in.

Also I'll just throw this up to help in your choice. Marauder Differences (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31102) and although I love my '03 300A and many swear by 'em you might want to go with a 300B or an 04, but its mostly just a preference.

And yeah most of us hold our Blues on pedestals to be preserved for posterity.

FordNut
09-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Good luck on things!!

Maybe he doesn't want a vic.

Kinda like the guy who parted out his perfect Marauder with a blown engine because he wanted to make it into a road race car. Then changed his mind after I had purchased virtually all the parts. So he scrapped a perfect car for pennies on the $$.

But I've also seen several Marauders turned into race cars with the interior door panels taken off and stuff like that. I guess that's better than being crashed and totalled.

Mike
09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey MM Clan!

In the interest of needing a very large car that seats 2 adults and (now) four kids, I've selected to replace my modified 06 Mustang GT with a Marauder. This was the car I wanted back in 04 and should have purchased but didn't. However given the prices in the market it looks like I might have saved my self some negative equity by not buying one new (however I lost my ass on the 03 Cobra that I bought, modified and then sold!!)

Refitted electronically shifted Automatic trans and custom converter and safety equipment

Thanks Guys!

Where at in Naperville, I'm in Plainfield :confused:

Mike
09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes...

reasons for my mod choices, and remember I've built a ton of really fast other cars and have drag raced them all (8 second duster, 9 second IRS 03 cobra, 10 sec 383 roadrunner, 67 Camaro 540 8.20's street car)

4 Seats with a roll cage will fit - The interior will be slightly redesigned with the car as close to the body edges as possible (I already worked this up in my 2003 Grand Marquis)

Drag radials aren't a must---as I'll certainly have slicks prepared, but there has to be a way for this car to weight transfer in a large drag radial. Testing will prove this out on whether or not it will work...it will be interesting.

I'm really excited to be part of this group guys. These cars are very cool and I wish I could have spent the last 5 years owning (and investing in!) one of them.

Is toreader red the rarest...No, BLUE is :D

modularmuscle
09-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Mike - We are in south Naperville. Wheatland township business park. Company name is Illinois Speed (http://www.ilspeed.com). We used to be a part of another shop there (who moved to 111th) We are going to be opening a performance store front in Plainfield, out on 95th east of 30 and west of Normantown rd, in the same building as Tamraz's.

I appreciate everyones support and yes I am late to the MM game. I've been watching from the sidelines for a while and I'll be very happy to get my keys to one of these cars. I've targeted three local cars for purchase and another in MD with really low miles. The car should be purchased and home before October...

I'll be on the phone this week and next to complete prices in the other components and I'll post what I find here. The best part of a build like this, and an "Interest group" like mm.com is that we can all argue about what should work best. Should turn out to be one hell of a car! I'll be posting the entire project on a website for the car, as I do web development as side game.

I think black higher mileage car makes the most sense really...and I might just buy the red one I found locally as a driver (there is a really sweet private seller turning an Tor Red car here)

Fast Forward Race Cars is doing the cage work. The engine build will either be done at DSS Racing or Randy at PER. I could tap the a very well known NMRA racer for a local tune, but I promised Scott at SDCE the next tune on my next Mod motor car. (www.sd-concepts.com (http://www.sd-concepts.com))

This cars interior will have door panels and everything...there won't be any jackass engineering and I won't do anything to this car to make up for a 1/10th...I'd rather the powerplant make up for all of the difference. I am thinking about reporducing some parts like seat brackets and bumper reinforcements with aluminum pieces and titanium where I can. I have a shop here that reproduces parts for SCCA cars.

And just to state what I think most of you might already be thinking---I know this project is total overkill for the most part, but this will be one of the last personal cars I'm building and my kids really like the local cruise-ins etc...so like I said it has to be a larger 4-door car. I don't know of a cooler 4 door car on the planet than the MM!

Pops
09-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Welcome to the site. This sounds like an interesting build. Good luck with it! Post up our findings as you do the car.

modularmuscle
09-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Is there a group of guys heading down from Chicago to the SSHS8? November is a good time for this and it doesn't seem like it will interfere with SEMA or PRI on the dates..

Pops
09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Zack will probaly go. SEMA is the same week. I am going to the SEMA show. Dont know about the others.

SID210SA
09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the site and by the way....Silver is the coolest color....it doesnt attract as much of the sun and is way easier to keep clean.....watch out for the bad paint on some of the Black 03's.....if you go that route...

Mike

KillJoy
09-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I like when new guys come in and try to completely re-invent the wheel.

Go for it, I would like to see the results.... but I do not think you will met all of your requirements. Also, bring your American Express.... you WILL need it!

:beer:

KillJoy

BigCars4Ever
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Sal at PowerSurge perfomance dropped a Lightning motor into a 2000 PI and retained the AC and the brake booster and just needed to add a hood scoop

BigCars4Ever
09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
BTW it was a SOHC. Search Madmax

modularmuscle
09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I like when new guys come in and try to completely re-invent the wheel.

Go for it, I would like to see the results.... but I do not think you will met all of your requirements. Also, bring your American Express.... you WILL need it!

:beer:

KillJoy

Thanks for the warm welcome Killjoy. Who needs Amex when you can do it with cash :) :banana2:

We aren't reinventing...this is 25 years of the same crap we did with huge Impala's and Big Block Chevy's with 600 cubes (8.9's on 4500lb car--went through rear gears every 5 passes) Hardest part is getting the 4.6 stuff and electronics to cooperate and not getting impatient and putting a glide behind it..

Its all on paper now. Then the dyno, Then the chassis dyno. Then the track. Then back to paper if it doesn't work. But I think it can.

MarauderTJA
09-06-2008, 06:06 AM
I like a challenege and obvioulsy you do as well. Anything can be accomplished with time, patience and money. It took the better part of three years to get my car where it is now. Took my time and enjoyed and cried along the way as well as more than 20 hours on the dyno between two Procharger blowers, a stock and then a built motor, countless tunes, drag strip testing, traction issues, transmission and drive line upgrades and list goes on. Thats what it takes.

Others here like, FordNut, Zack, TooManyFords, Dennis Reinhart, Cobra25, Imagindat, Blackmobile, John Nero, Rick-in-Miani, Merc, Glenn, Defyant, Shermanator, (sorry if I missed any of you guys) and a few of others have spent serious time and money with their street cars to get them where they are now. Drag racers always want more and keeping pushing the envelop. Extreme Marauders (11 & 10 second et) are rare here and is not for everyone.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.:up:

RoyLPita
09-06-2008, 06:30 AM
You should pick up a retired P0 cab. It has 6 inches more rear legroom and might be able to hold the 4 little ones that you speak of.

If clearances are an issue, wouldn't the 96-04 Mustang GT hydroboost work?

TooManyFords
09-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Subscribing and watching with interest.

BTW, did you used to work for FLP?

magindat
09-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey MM Clan!

Thanks Guys!

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if any of this has been covered.

You're not going to fit a 5.4 between the towers.

You're not going to fit a 5.4 under the hood.

The ABS system is gonna be pissed about an ABS ring rather than the outboard sensors at the wheels.

IMO get a reliably built 4.6 and put a centrifugal of choice in front of it in a blow-thru config. The worlds fastest full trim marauder runs a Papitto built 4.6 and a Procharger (suck thru).

IMO it will be far easier and cheaper to build and gusset an 8.8. There are 10 second marauders runnign the 8.8 and a slew of 11 second cars runnign the 8.8.

Welcome to the site! Good luck with your plans!

Listen and absorb, as I'm sure you have already - there's plenty of knowledge here and in many cases no need to re-invent the wheel!!!

UncleLar
09-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Here ya go ,Black high mileage MM local,and he's motivated to sell.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44704

Siege
09-07-2008, 04:15 AM
You're not going to fit a 5.4 between the towers.

I was surprised to see this statement. There have already been a few 5.4 SOHC cars created and the 5.4 DOHC is only a little over 1/2" wider on both sides.

Where is the interference problem?

You're not going to fit a 5.4 under the hood.

You can easily fit a 5.4 DOHC under the hood of a Mustang using the Aussie intake:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/birdman941/Stuff/dcp_0013.jpg

I expect that it would fit under our hood as well.

magindat
09-07-2008, 04:00 PM
According the tape measure I put on Al Papitto's 5.4 in his 94 stang, it won't fit and keep any of the AC, brake master cylinder, ABS module or anything that makes a Marauder a Marauder. Maybe ina pure race situation, but no way I see it fitting in a 'normal' car.

Todd put 5.4 heads on his 4.6 short block and even that required a 4" hood raise.

TooManyFords
09-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Todd put 5.4 heads on his 4.6 short block and even that required a 4" hood raise.

I'm pretty sure the 32v heads are the same from a 4.6 and a 5.4.

As for the rest of it, it can be done. Anything can be done if you try hard enough.

And this is not pointed at any one person or car, but I think I'm seeing a little competitive jealousy starting to surface. LOL!

Let's not be so negative and try to help get the job done.

It's all about beating the odds and doing something nobody has done before. And I'm pretty sure I speak from experience on this...

Cheers!

magindat
09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
No way John. I'd love to see a 5.4 in a Marauder. I'd have Al build me a GT motor as soon as money allowed!!! Hang a big ol procharger out front and have Dennis do a Blow thru config!!!

Oh I want to see him do it. Just don't want ot see a brother dream the impossible or financially ruining dream!

I've never taken anything from YOUR project!!!

In my world, simpler and less expensive is better. This is where I'm coming from. Same performance for less jack!

TooManyFords
09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
No way John. I'd love to see a 5.4 in a Marauder. I'd have Al build me a GT motor as soon as money allowed!!!

Rich, I think you are confusing the blocks and the heads. The heads are the same, the 5.4 block has a taller deck, thus the wider intake between the heads.

Second, the motor would fit between the towers but as you mentioned, the booster may have to me changed to one of those mustang versions with the hydo-boost thingies.. Depending on the intake, it may or may not take a cowl. I would like to see one of those Aussie intakes up close, but I bet Wilson could make a stainless custom one that would fit under the hood.

The rest is just fabbing.

FordNut
09-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Externally the 5.4 heads are the same, internally they are different. But you're right, anything is possible. Change the booster, get a custom AC system made (they do it on street rods, so why not), cowl hood (wouldn't be the first time for that one).

Interesting the Aussie intake has the throttle body on the correct side for us...

Tom Doan
09-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Don't forget the windshield wiper system must be removed and then your not street legal any more. I looked hard and long at the 5.4 swap and making a new fire wall was the way to make everything fit but they don't call me Shamu for nothing and I need every bit of leg room right now so I did the first uncut Cobra swap. I would take a look at Zack doing the V10 swap, looks easy compared to what I went through,$$$$$$$$$

TooManyFords
09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
LOL! I have my cowl and wiper assembly off mine at the moment looking for a bad wire and there is a LOT of room with these off. I could see maybe mounting the top cover piece in there on a couple mounts and then you could "glue" down the wiper arms to just the cowl piece. Nobody said they had to actually move LOL!

I was doing some measurements to see how much I would have to cut to get my 14-71 blower in there....

:coolman:

Tom Doan
09-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Good point, liberal coating of rain-ex, I was good to go for 6 months on an old Saab Sonnet, I had to wait for some one to make a new batch of wiper motors for me.

magindat
09-09-2008, 05:52 AM
See what I mean guys? For all that trouble, he could follow TJA's path and drop in a built 4.6. A high boost turbo would only require pipe fab and a waste gate controller. He could pull off the split tank - no prob. The car could make in the neighborhood of 900 crank on 108 and the waste gate slam shut. Then his only problem would be getting it on the ground. TJA has had good luck with his BC tans and converter. A HUGE custom intercooler would keep down IAT's.

With that, the creature comforts never get touched. No master cylinder mod, no AC mod, no loss of wipers, etc.

Todd's car is friggin ridiculous with the turbo but no one knows what it is capable of due to lack of traction!

Last but not least BOTH run 8.8 rears!!

I study like hell the things I can't afford and then wrap my decision to spend with the education I've gained - largely from everyone here!!!

I just think it's nuts to have to modify all those peripheral items when our new friend stated it's a family car!

modularmuscle
09-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm back with some great news (so to speak) I'm picking up a lower mileage (20k Miles) Silver Birch 04 in 10 days from south Florida. I drove a few black cars and though I like they way they look, Silver will match the rest of the fleet. (02 Excur 06 GT, 06 Minivan etc)

Quite a few interesting suggestions here. Thanks for keeping me up to date with ideas and I'll do the same. Its going to be a busy winter....

I like the competition between the 4.6 and 5.4 ideas. I've got a few mod shops giving me some sideline ideas at the same time (DSS, Livernois, and a local PER race engines) I've purchased a 5.4 Block and heads from a navigator (for test fitting) and I had a 4.6L 03 cobra long block from my other car.

The fuel system is on paper, which consists of two fuel compartments split 70/30 (Pump/race) It limits the driving distance on pump but its slick. the pump and wiring config to split the sensors is interesting...there isn't much room to make it all work. I may end up having to reconfig it or just put a drain on the tank and change fuel which is a messy pain in the ass.

I do need some input on transmission suggestions. TJA seems to have had some success on getting some correct pieces for driveline (I'm not budging on the 9inch though)

The interior is getting headrest TV's for the kids.

These cars are so freakin' cool. Watched a local guy at RT66 last Tuesday make a few high 11 second passes with a Trilogy 4.6L motor. Simple and effective but not fast enough. Sweet suspension mods. I didn't catch his name...was too busy helping crew my buddies car)

Tony Rouviere
09-19-2008, 07:28 PM
It seems everybody wants these big ol' boats to go 9.99 down the quarter. I never really seen my MM to be a quarter mile bruiser, more like a high speed cruiser. I want to see a MM go 200 m.p.h. at the Silver State run.

Vortech347
09-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I've seen a completely stripped suburban run 8's. But it had 1500hp.

offroadkarter
09-21-2008, 01:15 PM
So basically your trying to make this a 9 second family hauler with a stripped out interior, with TV's in the headrests and 4 seats in the back.

Right

modularmuscle
09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Actually, the car will have full interior with an integrated cage to meet NHRA Safety requirements. Seats will be fully padded but most likely will be manually adjustable.

modularmuscle
09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey Guys,

Can you state your car's weight? (minus your body weight) and approx changes if they are more than 20-40 lbs.

I'm targeting rotating weight options, and am looking at two sets of wheels. I haven't got possession of the car yet

LVMarauder
09-22-2008, 07:25 PM
It seems everybody wants these big ol' boats to go 9.99 down the quarter. I never really seen my MM to be a quarter mile bruiser, more like a high speed cruiser. I want to see a MM go 200 m.p.h. at the Silver State run.

It's amazing how well these cars respond to mods but you are right the sheer weight at 4160 unladen is not a drag car from the factory. I've though about the Silver State run but I lack the courage. I might feel better if i had a full cage, 5 point belt, fire suppression and interlined tires, but I might as well build another car .

FordNut
09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Mine used to be 4150. It's probably closer to 4400-4500 now.

Tony Rouviere
09-23-2008, 05:44 AM
I'll drive

TooManyFords
09-23-2008, 07:17 AM
When I was at the World Street Challenge, mine rolled across the scales at 4300 without me. Clearly needs to go on a diet, like the driver... LOL!

magindat
09-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I clock a massive 4800 fully loaded with gas, stereo and me!!!

MarauderTJA
09-23-2008, 03:33 PM
1/4 tank of gas with me in it @ 4500 lbs. I am working hard on losing weight. On my 3rd week with no potatoes, pasta, rice or bread. Kinda over the craving stage. It is tough though. Car will gain a little weight in a couple of weeks. Car is OK, I'm not in the weight catagory:shake:.

MarauderTJA
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
I clock a massive 4800 fully loaded with gas, stereo and me!!!

Gee Rich your stereo alone is where a lot of that weight is. You need a removal system:lol: for drag racing.