PDA

View Full Version : What are some good hard rock bands/albums?

Motorhead350
09-07-2008, 11:42 PM
I am looking to get into some good hard rock and I've never really listened to it. I'm thinking about Slayer, Pantera bands like these. Please do not tell me to listen to any new bands especially new bands that involve the word "The" in the band name. I'm looking for first generation hard thribing rock. The kind you hear people in the country listen to as they are mudding with their trucks, the kind of music you hear in 90's action movies. The only hard rock album I have is Astro Creep 2000 by White Zombie and I need more. I don't care where it's from, but really don't want to hear anything new because new music makes it sick.... literally it has happened before.... so much wasted talent.

I know Gordon might have a band or two.

Bring it on! :cool:

P.S. I still haven't come accross a type of music I like more than Doo Wop, nothing can beat it. It's the ultimate cruising music.

BlackIce
09-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Whitesnake and Queensryche always do the trick for me :D

Vortech347
09-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I agree, whitesnake rules...

However you just asked a forum where 80% of the people on here wouldn't be caught dead listing to what you've just asked for...

Motorhead350
09-07-2008, 11:58 PM
I agree, whitesnake rules...

However you just asked a forum where 80% of the people on here wouldn't be caught dead listing to what you've just asked for...

That leaves 20% of us that have good advice. There are only a handful of people on here who like what I do. I bet it's less than ten people total. You never know. Do you like Doo Wop more than any other music???

Dark_Knight7096
09-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Queensryche rules, I heart me some Disturbed, Dragonforce is pretty sweet, Anthrax, Megadeath, and AC/DC rule too!

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I love AC/DC and like the Bon Scott era more than Brain Johnson, but Back In Black is a good album too. I never get sick of the songs Big Balls and ROCKER!!! Early stuff is always the best... with anyone usually.

Mike
09-08-2008, 04:34 AM
How about Metallica :rock: :bows:

sd8683
09-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Testament is always good, I'm a big fan of queensryche as well, operation mind crime a awesome, Alice in chains and tool are great as well, guns n roses. There's just a few, I could go on and on lol

sanco
09-08-2008, 05:43 AM
im suprised this didnt come up yet...whenever i "drive" i allways have my rage against the machine handy :D .

disturbed
saliva
metallica
slayer
godsmack
korn
system of a down
slipknot
static x
drowning pool
dope

just a few of the bands i have on my ipod for one of those days :D. the ones listed are the ones that just about every song they have is good and they are the bands who i wouldnt mind spending money on because i know their record is worth it.

and although some people might disagree with me....some of the old limp bizkit stuff is amazing!!

but than again, this is what i call hard rock, for some it might be too hard and others need a little more. i like these bands because they know EXACTLY when to play hard and when to ease off in their songs so you dont feel drained from listening to it at the end.

Leadfoot281
09-08-2008, 09:29 AM
".....some of the old limp bizkit stuff is amazing"...

Wow, I must be really old! Lol!

If you're looking for music that has stood the test of time (as I suspect you are) these are my recommendations.

Judas Preist! These guys invented metal. Go get all the Judas Priest you can get your hands on. They're all great. Start with 'Sad wings of Destiny' and 'Rocka Rolla'. Follow that up with Live and Turbo Lover.

Black Sabbath. They're all great. Can't go wrong here.

Iron Maiden. They started off great and just kept getting better. Bruce Dickensons solo albums are also fantastic.

Alice Cooper. 'Love it to Death' and 'Killer' are two albums everyone should own.

Kiss. I'm not a big Kiss fan, but Kiss Alive is one of the five best live albums ever IMO.

Janes Addiction. Not sure if this is even 'metal' but I think you'll love these too.

Pops
09-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Lets not forget about Frank Zappa!

blazen71
09-08-2008, 09:39 AM
This isn't hard rock but L.A. Woman by the Doors is a great cruisin song! Also, check out Opeth.

freakstatus
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
From my my high school days:

Quiet Riot
Twisted Sister
Judas Priest
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Kiss
Skid Row

(I'm not saying I necessarily liked all these bands though)

Leadfoot281
09-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Lets not forget about Frank Zappa!

Yes! The King of Rock and Roll!!!

I recommend Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Hot Rats, and Over-night Sensation.

Pops
09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Yes! The King of Rock and Roll!!!

I recommend Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Hot Rats, and Over-night Sensation.

Those are the ones John, Zappa had a great sense of humor with his music. I saw him in concert a couple of times. He knew how to pick on the crowd! :beatnik:

Marauder386
09-08-2008, 10:15 AM
... sanco and Leadfoot281's tastes are the same as mine ... throw in some Godsmack too for fun and Evenescence as well as Seether and Staind some of the early Linkin Park too...

... and yes, I am a middle-aged fart ....

:coolman:

Eric-Blk2004
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Good rock music?

TOOL nuff said.

That is all you will ever need in your life - the rest is filler.

For filler I like

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - get hard or go home best filler to date
FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH - VERY close second
Motograter - Third

Then you have stuff that is background

Metallica
Seether
Some Nickleback is surprisingly heavy - not going to make excuses jsut listen to Follow you Home or Side of a Bullet.
Breaking Benjamin is great background rock - not much to it just decent sound

Then you have the WTH is this on your IPOD for?

Michael Jackson - Rock my world is fantastic, Scream is sick
Genuwine - Pony nuff said
Sexy Movimento - Reggaton but its got a beat for the ladies
Ne-yo

merc
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Robin Trower
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Jimi Hendrix
Megadeth
Life of Agony
The Donnas
Anthrax
and last but not least Dream Theater

Dr Caleb
09-08-2008, 12:24 PM
^^ All good stuff!

Add to that:

Motorhead
Soundgarden (Bad Motorfinger!!)
Steve Vai
The Four Horsemen
Van Halen
Clutch
Def Leppard
Lacuna Coil
Faith no More
ZZ Top

Some are more 'Metal' than 'Hard Rock', but you'll like them.

If you don't mind a language barrier,
Megaherz
Tyr
Rammstien
Mnemic

a_d_a_m
09-08-2008, 01:16 PM
i can't really stand a lot of the bands discussed in here (godsmack and the like = :puke: ), but for the sake of adding to the conversation...

i don't know much about 90's-type 'hard' stuff, other than maybe clutch? i don't know what album to recommend though. oh yeah, and get "all the colors of darkness" by brothers of conquest. that album rules. kinda metaly, rock, uhh...i don't know.

+1 to anyone who said judas priest (pre-tim 'ripper' owens), megadeth, alice cooper, pre-1980 KISS, bon scott-era AC/DC, and guns 'n' roses...i love zappa but i don't really think that is the type of music that we're talking about here. but, yeah, add zappa to the "required listening" list.

also in that vein: saxon was a good band but i don't know if you can find that stuff other than DLing it. humble pie had a bunch of great rockin' songs but they also had some crap, so your best bet is to start with a live album, especially one that has "i don't need no doctor" on it. hmmm...and find first daze here too by pentagram.

for the rest, some of this stuff is probably not what you're looking for, but since i know that you're into a lot of the stuff i'm into, you'll like it for different reasons probably:

ANNIHILATION TIME. i guarantee you'll like it. punk energy, shredding lead guitars, total *****ing blowout! get III: tales of the ancient age first, then work your way backwards through their catalog.

THE CHERRY VALENCE. 70's riffy hard rock, like deep purple combined with a live james brown record minus the horns but with two drummers playing and hitting them HARD. their self-titled album rules, but TCV3 and riffin' are also good.

FEDERATION X. they're the soundtrack to a seizure, i don't even know how to describe them. i'm listening to the song "ape****" right now.

GAZA STRIPPERS. you better know these guys already, because they're from champaign, IL. the singer used to front the didjits, who are good in their own right. but this is the harder, c0ck-rockier version. lot of leads, innuendos, and high energy. this will cause you to speed behind the wheel. 1000 watt confessions and laced candy are the best, but the other two albums are good too.

TURBONEGRO. duh.

VALIENT THORR. they claim to be aliens, are pissed off at washington DC, and their singer looks like a pirate and has the best beard ever. plus, they put on a great live show, have guitarmonies out the ass, and write some hard-hitting stuff. their most recent album is immortalizer and if you don't like that, you won't like any of the rest of it.

Taemian
09-08-2008, 01:22 PM
From my my high school days:

Quiet Riot
Twisted Sister
Judas Priest
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Kiss
Skid Row

(I'm not saying I necessarily liked all these bands though)

Don't make me post a photo of you from that era, Derek. We have ways of making you talk!:D

Taemian
09-08-2008, 01:28 PM
All you Ryche fans, check out Kamelot. The Haunting is a good video to give you a sample.

I've got Pillar(Frontline), Fireflight (Unbreakable), Dream Theater (Images and Words), Nightwish (I wish I had an Angel), Lullacry (Touch the Flame) and Dream Theater again (Scenes from a Memory) in my MM trunk cd changer.

Pull up the first two bands video on Youtube, see if you like them.

Egon Spengler
09-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Dom, stick with 50's Gold on the Sirius radio... I remember you saying you liked it... I am listening to it right now! That is your best bet

Ms. Denmark
09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
People! Everyone's listed alot of great bands but what about the best overall hands down hard rockin' roll band.......LED ZEPPELIN. You got to love it!:)

Breadfan
09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Robin Trower
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Jimi Hendrix
Megadeth
Life of Agony
The Donnas
Anthrax
and last but not least Dream Theater

Alright speakin' my language, good list and you probably know I'm a Dream Theater fan big time :)

All you Ryche fans, check out Kamelot. The Haunting is a good video to give you a sample.

I've got Pillar(Frontline), Fireflight (Unbreakable), Dream Theater (Images and Words), Nightwish (I wish I had an Angel), Lullacry (Touch the Flame) and Dream Theater again (Scenes from a Memory) in my MM trunk cd changer.

Pull up the first two bands video on Youtube, see if you like them.

I can't believe someone beat me to the punch on Kamelot. One of my favorites!!

Youtube Dream Theater, Kamelot, you'll see plenty of great stuff.

There's been some good recommendations so I'll go for some things that may not have been brought up and if you like dream theater and kamelot you may like...I'll try not to repeat anything i saw.

Ayreon
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Yngwie Malmsteen and Rising Force
Dark Moor
Opeth
Dark Tranquillity
Blind Guardian
Amon Amarth
Evergrey
Shadow Gallery
Thereon
Avantasia
Luca Turilli
Rhapsody

Female vocal metal:
Epica
Nightwish (prefer older like pre 2005ish)
After Forever
etc.

I could go on but I won't, if you want real heavy stuff just let me know I can do that too.

Hack Goby
09-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Rammstein is my all time favorite.They haven`t toured the U.S. for a long time but I would still like to see there stage show. <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QHkqIyOtuzU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QHkqIyOtuzU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 05:24 PM
People! Everyone's listed alot of great bands but what about the best overall hands down hard rockin' roll band.......LED ZEPPELIN. You got to love it!:)

I'm sorry, but Rock N' Roll officially died February 3rd 1959... at least commercially. The reason I say this is soooooo much music is passed off as "Rock n' Roll" and it's very frustrating to hear. As some of us know Rock N' Roll is nothing more than Country and Blues having a baby and the style has been around since the 20's when it was really called Southern Swing and things changed a little and the slang term was Rock N' Roll. That term was used by African Americans as a term for sex... just the name says it all and most good Rock N' Roll lyrics are about... well you guessed it. Led Zepplin is a good band (not my cup of tea other than Dyer Maker because of that Doo Wop chord structure) but are far from Rock N' Roll. They are simply rock or hard rock, heavy metal... I don't know, but they sound nothing like Chuck Berry. If they have anything in common it would be the use of the 12 bar blues from time to time. Rock N' Roll is Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Gene Vincent. Duane Eddy, SUN RECORDS, Bo Diddley (labeled as R&B) and Buddy Holly to name a few. Bands like The Kinks, Boston, Papa Roach, The Mammas and The Pappas, Jimmi Hendrex and yes even The Beatles (except early material, think pre 1963).... NOT Rock N' Roll.

TJ I listen to Sirius Gold everyday and sundays they seem to play rare stuff and that Doo Wop show is wed... nothing does it for me like that 50s music. The funny thing is it's the only type of music that sounds good in my K5 because my speakers are crap. Anything mono recorded with no distortion.

Back to the hard stuff. I will look somethings up today and might buy some stuff as soon as this week. Thanks everyone!

larryo340
09-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Ted Nugent
Scorpions (pre the commercial- Rock you like a Hurricane album)
Rainbow
Uriah Heep
Krokus
MSG
Iron Maiden
Korn
Megadeath
Prong
Van Halen

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the video Paul!

Hack Goby
09-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the video Paul!Dom,America is not ready for this yet because all the money here making the crap won`t allow it.And with any music the best has structure not just playing the fastest as you can..

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Dom,America is not ready for this yet because all the money here making the crap won`t allow it.

What money making? Everyone is downloading music for free. That's why you see artists making clothing lines now. Guess how many CDs an artist on a major label sells now on average.... ready? 800. Yes 800. Everyone steals music. I still pay though.

Hack Goby
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7dKnF0coxQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7dKnF0coxQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Aren Jay
09-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Judas Priest
Venom
Black Sabbath
Thor
Saxon
Voivod
Cirith Ungol
Running Wild (pre pirates)
Jesus and Mary Chain
Love and Rockets
Not Wasp
Maiden
Early Bon Jovi
Motley Crew
Twisted Sister
:) Motorhead
Dio
Ozzy
Eagles
Doors
Iron Butterfly

I can't remember a bunch of names but there are a lot more lesser known bands.

Mr. T Experience - I think is one
2 line crew - more early rap ish kind of childish too
Right said Fred
The Nails ttp://ca.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkue.z8VIT7IAJ1vrFAx.; _ylu=X3oDMTByOHJhc2x0BHNlYwNzc gRwb3MDOQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkAw--/SIG=127rk0d4o/EXP=1221009726/**http%3A//media.putfile.com/88-Lines-About-44-Women-10 (http://ca.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkue.z8VIT7IAJ1vrFAx.; _ylu=X3oDMTByOHJhc2x0BHNlYwNzc gRwb3MDOQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkAw--/SIG=127rk0d4o/EXP=1221009726/**http%3A//media.putfile.com/88-Lines-About-44-Women-10) also kind of early rap.
etc...

Hack Goby
09-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Anyone wondering where country is heading might want to check this out. <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6GqAP9uP5tM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6GqAP9uP5tM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Aren Jay
09-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I forgot

The Britney
The Jessica Simpson
The Christina Agulaira SP?

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Ahhhhhh good ole Iggy and The Stooges.

Here is as "Rock N' Roll" as you can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEA6gzAAPfc&feature=related

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 06:33 PM
lol how do you know about The Mr. T Experience? Do you know of The Queers and Screeching Weasel too?

a_d_a_m
09-08-2008, 06:37 PM
iggy video<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7dKnF0coxQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

STOOGES FTW!

saw 'em live back in 2003 in detroit. the night of the blackout. the show got cancelled, all the gas stations were closed, and the only place that was open was a liquor store up the street from the venue. so we got drunk on discount liquor and beer, then waited until 4am when one of the gas stations got their **** together. we drove back to cleveland in the dark and then a couple weeks later did it all over again, sans blackout.

i like the first two albums, but i really think raw power was their absolute best work.
----------------------------
mr. t experience, cool.
screeching weasel, less cool.
queers, less cool.

didn't realize we had any punk fans here. i'm an army of one over at CVN.

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Adam you know I love punk rock. I like the Queers a lot. It's like mixing The Ramones and Beach Boys... most of their stuff. Let's not forget Hasil Adkins, Ramones, Sex Pistols, 999, Anti-Nowhere League, Fear, Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, Minor Threat, The Clash, The Jam, THE CRAMPS!!!!! Operiation Ivy, The Exploited, Dead Kennedys (best band to listen to these days) New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders... need more??? hehe

Hack Goby
09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
STOOGES FTW!

saw 'em live back in 2003 in detroit. the night of the blackout. the show got cancelled, all the gas stations were closed, and the only place that was open was a liquor store up the street from the venue. so we got drunk on discount liquor and beer, then waited until 4am when one of the gas stations got their **** together. we drove back to cleveland in the dark and then a couple weeks later did it all over again, sans blackout.

i like the first two albums, but i really think raw power was their absolute best work.
----------------------------
mr. t experience, cool.
screeching weasel, less cool.
queers, less cool.

didn't realize we had any punk fans here. i'm an army of one over at CVN. I was at this show the summer of 1969 at Goose lake near Jackson.

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have a time machine? Fuel back to this era isnt necessary.

Hack Goby
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Dom,I saw the New york DOlls,What a bunch of posers.Can you say Buster Poindexter...

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Girls Girls Girls.... yup, but I like their music. I never liked their image though.

a_d_a_m
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM
need more??? hehe

nope, you know i do a radio show and i'm pretty well-versed. you were the only one i knew on either board that's into punk.

as far as the NY dolls are concerned: yeah, they suck now. but that old stuff, it's just making a bluesy garage band that plays shangri-las songs. what's not to like? on top of that, johnny thunders and jerry nolan were both great.

Hack Goby
09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Girls Girls Girls.... yup, but I like their music. I never liked their image though.
Damn I have body parts fater than his arms...<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYkxWE5alEQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYkxWE5alEQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

a_d_a_m
09-08-2008, 07:07 PM
ya can't count that as real NY dolls, because only 2/5 of the band exists now, and one of those two is unimportant!

**** n' boots is a great song though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkhR58jafnE

Hack Goby
09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
It got deleted

a_d_a_m
09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
YT is down for maintenance and some of the stuff isn't working right now.

Ms. Denmark
09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Have to disagree, Dom, about Led Zeppelin. Listen to the early stuff. Although Jimmy Page was playing Chicago blues the night he was" discovered "at the Marquee Club, his first inspirations were 50's rock and rollers including Buddy Holly. The Blues (especially of the Mississippi Delta and electrified in Chicago)played a huge role. They were accused of being one of the greatest cover bands for uncredited use of blues riffs and tunes. Willie Dixon(a Chicago song writer) successfully sued over "You Shook Me" and "I Can't Quit you Baby". The early albums came right out of rock and roll and black R&B influences(James Brown, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Matt Murphy, Otis Rush) and added guitar charged aggression. In Robert Plant they got a power belter=hard rock.;) You were asking about "hard rock". I think they meet that criteria! (The poster band in fact)

Windsor58
09-08-2008, 07:25 PM
+1 on ZZ Top, Nickelback, Evanescence, Queensryche, Scorpions, Whitesnake, ...

Not sure if all of these fall into what you are looking for, but add 3 Doors Down, Blue Oyster Cult (Godzilla), Collective Soul (Shine-great driving song), Creed, Alanis Morrisette, Meatloaf (Bat out of Hell), Pink Floyd, Eagles (Long Run), soundtrack to Heavy Metal, and my personal favorite (although it may be a Texas thing) Stevie Ray Vaughan. Journey to the Center of the Earth, by Rick Wakeman is interesting as well (but may not appeal to all).

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes Hard Rock, not Rock N' Roll. I've gone though the five albums and 7 minutes songs with 2 minute intros are not Rock N' Roll to me. Nor are guitar solos that pretty much make the song. They were accused of stealing riffs from Blues sheet music at one time or another too. They do have a Blues influence here and there and the early stuff as well, but to me if you're Rock N' Roll you gotta be it all the time, not just early work. I think Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and Little Richard are the only ones who stood the test of time. Ok maybe Jerry Lee Lewis too, but not Elvis Presley. In The Getto is totally different from Baby Lets Play House.

Rock N' Roll is a music, not another name for music that's in pop culture. Seems like some think Rock N' Roll is still alive, but the reality is the last song that was ever on the charts as a true Rock N' Roll song was "Last Kiss" by Frank J. Wilson I believe in 1964, but the song was actually written in 1957 and I have yet to hear the original version. I'll I've heard was the version from 1964 and Pearl Jam who I thought did a great job on the number.

It's a style to me and with style comes standards. You could no way for a second think Doo Wop and 90's Alternative were the same music. Same goes for Rock N' Roll. Led Zepplin is no contest to anything that came out of Sun Records.

Here is my short standards for Rock N' Roll music:

3 or 4 chords at most, clocks out at around 2:30 to fit the song onto a 45, guitar solos are 12 or 24 bars, not 12 or 24 minutes, a lot have a A A B lyric style like the blues, the best stuff uses a 12 bar blues or the 1-4-5 chord structure, standard tuning or half a step down is used... not drop D, 6/8 tempo is a standard for ballads/Doo Wops and to top it all off no heavy distortion. Light distortion is ok for songs like Bo Diddley and Rumble by Link Wray. The commercial material always seemed to have a lot of singers at once like on Chubby Checker songs and Dion and The Belmonts back when people could sing... thanks a lot autotune! Sorry if I was a little too technical here.

That's just my opinion and not too many understand it. If you think Led Zepplin is still Rock N' Roll there is nothing else I can say. I would hope that you don't think ZZ Top or AC/DC is Rock N' Roll either, but most do when it's really just Rock.

a_d_a_m
09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
i have to disagree on some points here, dom. sure: rock 'n' roll is music, obviously, but i think it goes beyond that. i don't think it can, or should be defined.

if you say "this is what it sounds like, and this is the criteria" and try to reduce it to a specific set of guidelines, doesn't that go against the basic tenets of rock 'n' roll? rock 'n' roll shouldn't be defined, it shouldn't be limited, it shouldn't be pigeonholed. it can and should be innovated upon at times, while at the same time remembering the roots that got it to where it is.

i mean, you drive a marauder. but the 'original' marauder was made in the early '60s. if i loosely follow your logic, even though your car says 'marauder', it isn't a marauder because it's different than the original. by mine, i say your car is a marauder: it evolved.

music has evolved over the years. look at punk rock. sure, it's got that label to it, but the bottom line is that it's just rock 'n' roll through the eyes of some pissed off americans who hated the music that they were being spoon-fed. when they decided to do something about it and start their own band, they found out that they couldn't play like the old records they grew up on, so they made rock 'n' roll the only way they could figure out how.

and then, if you're trying to say "hey, rock 'n' roll is *this*" to someone, and trying to put limits on it...well, that's not very rock 'n' roll, man. rock 'n' roll is about fun, it's about grabassing and driving fast and hanging out with friends and not being uptight.

the problem is, the term "rock 'n' roll" gets thrown around with any thought to it. godsmack, creed, nickleback, kid rock, etc - they all fall short of what i believe to be the true spirit and sound of a great rock 'n' roll band.

real rock 'n' roll doesn't chart anymore, but there's plenty of it out there for consumption if you're willing to dig for it and appreciate the long trip it's taken since the '50s.

LVMarauder
09-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Two Suggestions for the really hardcore-stuff: Queensryche and Iron Maiden

a_d_a_m
09-08-2008, 08:06 PM
and i forgot to say:
bon scott-era AC/DC is rock 'n' roll...to me. that band had raw energy, great AND HONEST stage presence (very important), great lyrics, and a great sound.

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
i it can and should be innovated upon at times

That's where I totally disagree. That is called Pop Music.

You can't really compare cars to music because cars are built by car companies for one reason... profit and what involves profit? Marketing to the right people. If music was done that that were is was only meant to make money no matter how bad or ugly it gets, that is pop music. If you want to car a car company is a music and the model is the band that kinda works. So the Marauder being made again is like The Beatles getting back together with no orignal members.

The Blues never changes, Surf didn't change, somethings were slightly changed, but it wasn't the same anymore, blah blah blah. We could talk about this all night couldn't we??? ;)

a_d_a_m
09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
no, we couldn't talk about it all night, because eventually i would beat the crap out of you for being an idiot.

j/k

you're entitled to your opinion....i guess. :)

Motorhead350
09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Adam here is what I keep right by my bathroom...

Rock-and-Roll: African American slang dating back to the early 20th century. In the early 1950's, the term came to be used to describe a new form of music, steeped in the blues, rhythm and blues, country and gospel. Today it refers to a wide variety of popular music -- frequently music with an edge and attitude, music with a good beat and -- often -- loud guitars. That's what it's come down to... people passing off moden music or other music as Rock N' Roll.

This is a magent I got at Clevelands very own Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. Very cool place, but again wrong name. If it was all about Rock N' Roll the timeline would stop in the middle of 1964. We wouldn't have info about Outcast or even Kurt Cobains guitar in there, but hey I like Nirvana a lot. Grunge and Rap are both in the Rock N' Roll hall of fame. :shake:

Adam sounds like we both cannot agree on this one. I stand by everything I said and I'm sure you do too.

Dr Caleb
09-09-2008, 09:32 AM

http://xkcd.com/339/

Ms. Denmark
09-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey ,thanks for the comic relief,Dr Caleb! Needed to lighten things up after the lecture.LOL;)

a_d_a_m
09-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Adam sounds like we both cannot agree on this one. I stand by everything I said and I'm sure you do too.

indeed.
so go check out the stuff i recommended :D

Motorhead350
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I shall.....

Aren Jay
09-09-2008, 10:59 PM
http://new.ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730

Haggis
09-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Dom, you want hardcore Metal go to these sites.

www.nuclearblast.de

www.naplamrecords.com

Breadfan
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Gordon you gotta come down to JAXX more often, did you get your Kamelot/Edguy tix there were less than 20 left when I got mine (I almost forgot, lol). Amon Amarth coming the week after!

We can have a mini CAM at the metal show

justbob
09-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry Dom but i'm a Brian Johnson guy all the way, i don't think ac/dc would have been half as successful without him IMO. As for some decent rock:
Bang your head-Quiet riot
Almost anything from Rob Zombie
Cowboys form hell or respect walk- Pantera
Zombie stomp- Ozzy
Van Halen
Motley Crue
any more needed call me

a_d_a_m
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
i don't think ac/dc would have been half as successful without him
looking at their singles, and where they charted, it would be hard to argue with you (and win).

but, still, i prefer bon scott by a very very long shot.

justbob
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
looking at their singles, and where they charted, it would be hard to argue with you (and win).

but, still, i prefer bon scott by a very very long shot.
Like most others buddy.
Besides it is a tough decision for me.

sd8683
09-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I dont know about you guy's but I never get tired of hearing these guy's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-yr6qYU7U

Haggis
09-11-2008, 03:48 AM
Gordon you gotta come down to JAXX more often, did you get your Kamelot/Edguy tix there were less than 20 left when I got mine (I almost forgot, lol). Amon Amarth coming the week after!

We can have a mini CAM at the metal show

Sorry Mike I would really like to go, but that is a school night. I really wanted to go to the 'Pagan Fest' at Jaxx about a moth or two ago, but by the time I found out it was sold out.

You need to keep me up-to-date on when these shows come around.

Motorhead350
09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to need some hard music right now!!!!!

Eric-Blk2004
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Thank god 1984 never happened or else they could censor our music! Oh wait...everything is censored

Motorhead350
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Big Brother is everywhere

Breadfan
09-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry Mike I would really like to go, but that is a school night. I really wanted to go to the 'Pagan Fest' at Jaxx about a moth or two ago, but by the time I found out it was sold out.

You need to keep me up-to-date on when these shows come around.

That I can do :beer:

Breadfan
09-11-2008, 03:52 PM
As for censorship, there are many who say music is censored in the sense that radio and media kind of give us tunnel vision. Many people abide by what they hear so radio, top40, and whatever, becomes a way of life.

In the world of music I like such as metal and progressive there's an intense underground music scene. There are so many bands out there I haven't heard nearly all of them and I have tons of music. There are labels dedicated to music I would like, and none of the bands on the label make USA radio.

Even popular prog, like Dream Theater, I can't think of the last time I heard them on the radio, if ever. (I know some of their earlier stuff had some shortened radio edits). Yet the last time I saw Dream Theater at a small venue, my friend and I got there 4 hours early and found the line wrapped around an entire DC city block. Bear in mind this was a small club - probably 90% of the capacity was there 4 hours early.

Meaning these non-mainstream acts are getting a very strong following and their fans are SUPER loyal. In that same line were tshirts for lesser known bands you almost never hear. And when I'm at JAXX our local club that hosts prog/metal acts I'm always going "Where are these people coming from?" - yep sold out shows, big lines, but we sorta disappear when it's not show night I guess. :)

The Internet is helping out big time, it's slowing wiping out the grasp of mainstream media. In fact, "non-mainstream" is pretty much becoming mainstream on college campuses, whether or not you like "emo" stuff it's pretty much super popular, enough to break into mainstream.

But the 'net, and MP3's, which have hurt CD sales and shut down alot of local music stores, while in that bad sense they have agood side by opening up our eyes and ears to music from all over the world that we would've probably never known about. I can't even count the number of startup metal bands on myspace that have contacted me as a friend I guaruntee I woudln't have a clue who they were otherwise.

So, I think in time a lot of this will become more accessible. In a way...that kinda saddens me. I'm not sure I'd a lot of it get too popular, it may water it down...