PDA

View Full Version : MM Mudflaps

Marsha
09-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Does anyone have information on mudflaps for the MM. I really need them and was wondering if the dealers have them or if there is something better out there.
Thanks in advance.
Marsha:help:

Marauderman
09-05-2003, 05:34 PM
You might ask for "splash guards" from your dealer----maybe they don't know what "mud flaps" are? Actually from a NH person--that does seem a bit southern to me..my .02 but probably on the line of what a Crown Vic offers will probably do---check local auto stores for better prices than dealer for sure...

gdmjoe
09-05-2003, 07:13 PM
FWIWFFT - Here's the fordaccessories.com link (http://www.fordaccessories.com/product.asp?dept_id=99&pf_id=16A550crown&dept=12) for the splash guards. *No such luck @ mercuryaccessories.com

Know that these splash guards fit '98+ Grand Marquis ( and "yes" I know the Marauder t'ain't no GM :) ) and Crown Victoria.

03SILVERSTREAK
09-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Try this site . No MM splash guards but might fit since its built on the same platform http://www.fordaccessories.com/product.asp?dept_id=99&pf_id=16A550crown&dept=12

gja
09-05-2003, 08:19 PM
"big bottom, big bottom, talk about mudflaps..my girls got 'em"
-Spinal Tap

TAF
09-05-2003, 08:20 PM
My understanding has always been that the fronts will fit, but not the rears. Please educate me if I'm wrong because I have wanted to put these on since I got the car.

03SILVERSTREAK
09-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Todd-There is not much metal on the lower rear quarter panels . Its just the wrap around bumper guard that covers both sides of the lower rear quarter panels and the bumper . unless you place a small strip of metal behind the lower quarter panel wrap around bumper guard so as the screws have somthing to hold on too that seems just about the only way you can mount them on unless someone has a simpler way to mount them .

SFMarauder
09-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Todd,

I have the factory fronts installed but no rears yet. Local dealer can order em.

studio460
09-06-2003, 01:52 AM
AHA!

So the CV molded rear splash guards DO FIT, it's just that we can't mount them too easily, is that it?!?!?!?

Thanks, ADELG670 . . .

gdmjoe
09-06-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ADELG670
Todd-There is not much metal on the lower rear quarter panels . Its just the wrap around bumper guard that covers both sides of the lower rear quarter panels and the bumper . unless you place a small strip of metal behind the lower quarter panel wrap around bumper guard so as the screws have somthing to hold on too that seems just about the only way you can mount them on unless someone has a simpler way to mount them .

Simpler way - Position the rear splash guard, use an ice-pick to mark the holes and just perforate the panel, lay a bead of RTV sealer or 3M double-sided attachment tape to the contact area, use the provided screws to attach the splash guard.

Since there is no metal backing, making a small hole with an ice-pick will allow the screws to self-tap and hold; the RTV sealer / molding tape increases the bonding area and therefore insures that they aren't ripped-off .

*Mine have been installed for 9months and have yet to fall-off :D And that's with several 1000mile trips @ 70+ MPH; some of that in long bouts of HEAVY rain.

FWIW

studio460
09-06-2003, 03:07 PM
gdmjoe:

Thanks for the tip! If possible, could you please post some pictures of the splash guards installed? Would be nice to visualize what they look like on the car.

gdmjoe
09-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by NBC Shooter
gdmjoe:

Thanks for the tip! If possible, could you please post some pictures of the splash guards installed? Would be nice to visualize what they look like on the car.

Please understand ... this isn't my CV, but these will at least help you visualize - Rear (http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2730/rear_mudflap.jpg) ( close-up (http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2730/mudflap2.jpg) ) / Front (http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2730/front_mudflap.jpg) ( close-up (http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2730/mudflap3.jpg) )

*Plagarism is just a form of flattery :D

GordonB
09-06-2003, 08:18 PM
To all,
Would it be possible to use the MM Rear Bumper wheel well attachment plastic gromets/push pins to fasten rear mud flaps? There are 2 on each side on my MM in the rear wheel wells aft. There is also an additional METAL attachment point behind (underneath) the bumper cover that is NOT used. What this means is that there are potentially 3 attachment points at the rear of each wheel if you all think that these plastic gromets are strong enough to do the job. We would have drill one hole on each side and buy 2 gromets (black) from the dealer, but we could potentially use 3 stock points.
Food for thought and investigation.

GordonB.

gdmjoe
09-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by GordonB
To all,
Would it be possible to use the MM Rear Bumper wheel well attachment plastic gromets/push pins to fasten rear mud flaps? There are 2 on each side on my MM in the rear wheel wells aft. There is also an additional METAL attachment point behind (underneath) the bumper cover that is NOT used. What this means is that there are potentially 3 attachment points at the rear of each wheel if you all think that these plastic gromets are strong enough to do the job. We would have drill one hole on each side and buy 2 gromets (black) from the dealer, but we could potentially use 3 stock points.
Food for thought and investigation.

GordonB.

If you look at the rear splash guard pic's above and then look at where the push-pins are in the wheel well, you will notice that the push-pins are far too high up and towards the inside; the splash guards attach much lower and ~1" from the outside edge.

AND ... the metal behind the splash guard attachment area is at least an inch behind the bumper cover. If you drill through the cover and into the metal there you would need longer screws and spacers ( to keep the cover from being pulled to meet it and distorting the cover ).

SilverM2004
12-26-2004, 08:12 PM
I am a new member as of November, I have been trying to get on to the chat room, but for some reason it keeps saying that I dont have access to that page? I have a 04 MM. My mods are: 2 1/2'' flowmaster exaust with a X-pipe, and a K&N air charger kit. I am looking to do much more. I have a few question that I need answered, the first is: What size thermostat should I run? Should I go with a chip or a computer reprogramer? Also what size gear should I upgrade to? I am located in the philadelphia area and I am very interested in going to some meets in the area or if I have to drive a bit. I am sure that there are some members that are in the area, I am the only one that I know of with a MM.
:banana2: Thank you, Brad

MM03MOK
12-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi Brad. :welcome: Congrats on your first post!! I'm afraid all your questions will get lost in this old thread on mudflaps.

Check out the Northeast Marauders Forum for upcoming Meets from Washington DC to NY. There are a few Philly area Members: JET and BigDogJim to name two.

Your other questions? Each could be a thread unto themselves. Post the questions again in Community Discussion forum (New Thread button at the top) and give us a little more detail about what you're trying to accomplish. Do you do a lot of highway miles? Also try searching the extensive archives for your topics.

As for Chat, are you seeing a request for an irc applet to launch when you "Enter Chat?"

I am a new member as of November, I have been trying to get on to the chat room, but for some reason it keeps saying that I dont have access to that page? I have a 04 MM. My mods are: 2 1/2'' flowmaster exaust with a X-pipe, and a K&N air charger kit. I am looking to do much more. I have a few question that I need answered, the first is: What size thermostat should I run? Should I go with a chip or a computer reprogramer? Also what size gear should I upgrade to? I am located in the philadelphia area and I am very interested in going to some meets in the area or if I have to drive a bit. I am sure that there are some members that are in the area, I am the only one that I know of with a MM.

03SILVERSTREAK
12-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Welcome Brad-Your not alone. there are several MM Members in the philadelphia area. so far your doing well in mods..:up:

Patrick
12-26-2004, 08:30 PM

Welcome Brad. Just what Mary said!!!!

DEFYANT
12-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Welcome Brad.

Merc-O-matic
12-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Mud Flaps on a Crown Vic-Yes. Mud Flaps on a Grand Marquis-yes.
Mud Flaps on a MARAUDER-I don't think so. :banned:

Gotta Love It!

Zim Hosein
12-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Mud Flaps on a Crown Vic-Yes. Mud Flaps on a Grand Marquis-yes.
Mud Flaps on a MARAUDER-I don't think so. :banned:
Gotta Love It!
That's not fair! :(

The MM in my sig is the family car/daily driver and considering it's snowing right now, MF's/SG's would be nice to have IMO! :o

TechHeavy
12-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Does anyone have information on mudflaps for the MM. I really need them and was wondering if the dealers have them or if there is something better out there.
Thanks in advance.
Marsha:help:
See this thread: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14709

Haggis
12-27-2004, 04:36 AM

First Brad, in stead of reviving an old Thread make a fresh one, no flame intended.

Mud flaps contact GordonB.

Thermostat a lot of us have changed to the 180*

A chip you can remeve if going to the dealer, but I think most people perfer the tuner.

Gear size 4.10's are the most popluar.

Next CAM Meet is Jan. 9th at Big Bats on Kent Island in Maryland you are more then welcome. Also this Saturday at the D.C. Convention Center is the Motor Trend Car Show, some of us will be meeting there at 1pm. Check out the Northeast Forums.

Last but not least, resistance to modding is futile. You will be assmilated!!

Bluerauder
12-27-2004, 05:08 AM
I am a new member as of November :banana2: Thank you, Brad
Brad, welcome to the MM.Net :welcome: Happy Maraudering !!! :D

There's a CAM Meet on 9 January (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14750). You might be able to hook up for the ride down with some of the Philly, Delaware or N. Maryland members.

martyo
12-27-2004, 05:14 AM
I am a new member as of November.

Brad:

Welcome to the land of the highly dysfunctional. Put on your flame suit and brace yourself. If you want a list of all teh folks taht you should plaec on your "Ignore" list, just PM me and I will send it to you. It will save you lots of time if you have this list handy.

Bradley G
12-27-2004, 06:37 AM
I must be at least honorable Mention!Welcome Brad! a Brad Newbie! YEAAHHH:baaa: ;) I don't have anyone on my ignore list!:coolman: You Prolly won't either;) Lots of help here!Don't be afraid to talk about Which is best of anything! :seesaw:

Me>:flamer:
Bradley G

jakdad
12-27-2004, 06:58 AM
Can't say MUD FLAPS!! Gotta say splash guard! I guess to be politically correct, we could say "mixture of water and soil challenged". Mud flap is not a Southern term, Yankees have them too.

michael ward
12-27-2004, 08:24 AM
mud flaps - [splash guards ] from ford..... ford does not make molded mud flaps for the m.m. but you can buy the front molded flaps for the g.m and trim to fit m.m wheel well and will fit perfect.. and buy the molded flap for rear for the c.v they will also fit perfect.... g.m front .... c.v rear.. :beatnik:

Patrick
12-27-2004, 08:29 AM
I must be at least honorable Mention!Welcome Brad! a Brad Newbie! YEAAHHH:baaa: ;) I don't have anyone on my ignore list!:coolman: You Prolly won't either;) Lots of help here!Don't be afraid to talk about Which is best of anything! :seesaw:

Me>:flamer:
Bradley G

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

jgc61sr2002
12-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Brad - Welcome to the MM site. :welcome:

Sactown
12-27-2004, 08:04 PM
For splash guards, use F8AZ16A550BA on th front and F8AZ16A550CA on the rear. I bought them from The Dealer (Ray). When I find my digital camera, I'll post some pics (sorry for the delay Shooter). I think they look fine and they work well at keeping most of the road goo from getting on the car.

valleyman
12-27-2004, 09:35 PM
What Sactown ^^^^^ said. I got mine from the Dealer, too. There is a small "Ford" logo on the rear flaps, but the only folks who will notice it are the ones laying in the parking lot as you back over them: it's really that unobtrusive. I got mine after seeing the ones one Sactown's car.

Merc-O-matic
12-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Welcome aboard the net.
Great group of Mercury fans here!

Bradley G
12-28-2004, 05:39 AM
See! Part#'s and All!You guys are the Best:bows: :bows: :bows:

Bradley G
Now who wants to make them low/custom profile ?