PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 9/11/01 - Never Forget

Embassy
09-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Say a prayer for all those affected on this day, seven years ago.

Click. (http://www.crownvic.net/victims.shtml)

Timeline:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11,_2001_timeline_fo r_the_day_of_the_attacks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11,_2001_timeline_fo r_the_day_of_the_attacks)

For those near a TV, MSNBC is replaying their live broadcast from that terrible day.

Bluerauder
09-11-2008, 04:23 AM
:flag: I can't forget. Nor will I. :flag: Its been 7 years; but the memory is clear as crystal.

11 September 2006

This coming Monday is the 5th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center (WTC) complex, the Pentagon, and on UA Flight #93 over Shanksville, PA. A total of 2,973 persons were killed that day. Another 24 remain missing.

:flag: I will be flying my flag proudly on Monday “In Remembrance” of the victims and their families. Hope that you will join me in doing the same. Never forget. I won’t. :flag:

On the morning of 11 September 2001, I was checking out of the hotel at the US Military Academy at West Point, NY following a conference. As I was passing through the main gate in a rental car toward Highland Falls and Newark International Airport, I heard the first announcement of a small plane striking one of the towers at the World Trade Center. Initially, this struck me as very odd. I thought to myself that a small plane would have to work hard to hit such an obvious building. Maybe the pilot had a medical emergency and lost control of the aircraft.

About 15 minutes later, the radio announcer revealed that the second tower had been hit by another plane. The sky was clear and it was a beautiful day, no way this was accidental. I knew immediately that this was a deliberate attack and that terrorists were responsible. I continued on my way south along the Palisades Parkway and then the Garden State Parkway. Several emergency responders with blue lights flashing and rolling pretty fast passed me along the way. As I got closer to the Tappan Zee Bridge, I saw signs that said “New York City was Closed”. No traffic other than emergency vehicles were permitted.

I continued on my way toward Newark airport. Just as I crossed into New Jersey on the Garden State Parkway, the radio announcer said that a 3rd plane had hit the Pentagon (my old office at 3C529 was obliterated in that instant). We were at war with someone. I needed to stop and collect my thoughts – what to do now? A rest stop with gas station was only about a mile ahead. I pulled in and stopped and just sat a few minutes. Get a coke and calm down some – what the heck is happening??? Is the airport even open now?? What about the rental car?? Try to call – fat chance – everything is busy. While debating with myself whether I should continue on to the airport, a northbound car pulled into the reststop. A guy staggered out of his car and sat down on the curb. I rushed over to see if I could assist. He just said that one of the World Trade Center towers just collapsed. I jumped back in my rental car and turned on the radio. I was stunned and in disbelief. The past hour had been surreal.

In that single minute, my decision was clear. I am driving back to Virginia. Screw the rental car, I need to get home. I turned around and headed back the way I came. Back to I-87, then I-287 to I-78 to I-83 and south. All day I listened to reports on the radio. Plane crashing in Pennsylvania. Just words, no pictures, no TV, no CNN news reports. Lots of speculation and the images forming in my head were difficult to accept. The road rolled on. Tried to call home several times – no luck at all. Easton, Harrisburg, and York, PA Baltimore, MD then Washington, DC and out to Dulles Airport. Had to drop off the rental and pick up my car.

As I approached the National Rental car gate, I noticed that it was closed. In fact, traffic at Dulles was nearly non-existent. Very unusual – a virtual ghost town. I stop at the gate and a guy came over and opened it. I told him that I was there to turn in the car. No charge for the car. No shuttles back to the parking lot. One of the National guys offered to drop me off in his personal car as he was departing. Got in my T-Bird and clicked on the radio. More talk and speculation. Four planes total. US airspace shut down completely.

The guy at the parking lot toll booth waved me through. No charge today. Home was still about 45 minutes away. More radio reports. Both WTC towers gone. Pentagon still burning. Many people dead and dying. Still can’t call home.

I pulled into my driveway at exactly 5 PM that night. My trip had been a full 8 hours from start to finish. My wife ran out to the car and just threw her arms around me. For a minute or maybe more we just stood there. Finally, she said “I know you too well …. I knew that you’d be driving back today”. If I said that I didn’t break down and cry briefly at that moment, I’d be lying. The rush of the past 8 hours completely enveloped me in that moment. In the car for so long I had not been able to share my building grief at all of the events of the day. Finally being at home with everyone safe and together, I lost control. There I said it.

I went into the house and clicked on the TV to see the video and images that most everyone else had be seeing all day. Several birthday presents sat on the dining room table. There would be no party tonight. It took more than a week to even bring myself to open any of them. It just didn't seem appropriate.

Over time, I would find out that 22 of the victims at the Pentagon were from Prince William County, VA were among the nearly 3,000 who died that day. One was an usher at our church. One of our VFD paramedics was in New York City on vacation. He died in the WTC collapse after he rushed from his nearby hotel to offer his help. Several other friends and acquaintences had close calls and near misses or just happened to be somewhere else when their offices were destroyed. I am still overwhelmed by the events of that day. Putting them down on paper like this kinda helps. Thanks for listening.

Egon Spengler
09-11-2008, 05:21 AM
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
http://www.scripting.com/images/firemen-flag-091201.jpg

BAD MERC
09-11-2008, 06:28 AM
It was 7 years ago and it feels like last week. Please watch this and think about the 343 firefighters who lost their lives doing what they do.:bows:

www.threefortythree.com (http://www.threefortythree.com)

Pops
09-11-2008, 06:32 AM
I remember having the tv on and watching all the speculation about what happened, then the second plane hit the other tower while the video was live. What a sick feeling! May God Bless all!

Egon Spengler
09-11-2008, 06:50 AM
That day was a life changing day for me... I was starting the process of getting on my local fire department and what happened that day made me want to become a fireman that much more... My family didn't want me to do it, but I told them I had to... I would have regretted not joining... Thank you for remembering the fireman, but we can't forget all the others that lost their lives as well... and lets remember the soldiers that are fighting for us and all those who lost their lives that day!
http://www.scripting.com/images/firemen-flag-091201.jpg

Bigdogjim
09-11-2008, 07:23 AM
I will be heading into New York City this afternoon.

What a sad trip to make.

God Bless the USA :flag:

DTRMiguel
09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
This day changed everyones live. RIP all 9-11-01 Victims and god bless all affected by this tragedy.

Dr Caleb
09-11-2008, 09:19 AM
And God bless the men and women we've lost since, preventing such a thing ocurring again.

TiTo35
09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
:flag: GOD BLESS AMERICA :flag:

sd8683
09-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Geez... 7 years.... Boy does time fly, I remember that day like it was yesterday. I will NEVER forget.

Eric-Blk2004
09-11-2008, 10:31 AM
World did end on that day.

Along with a lot of freedoms and a lot of hope. The future in the world post 9-11 seems more dark and uncertain. You have violation of civil liberities occuring in the name of this day, and we have more enemies in the unseen as well.

I wonder what the world would be like without these attacks. No Patriot act, no gitmo, no Iraq war. Sounds like a better place already.

Never forget what happened that day - and never forget what we have given up in name of this day.

rayjay
09-11-2008, 11:01 AM
:flag: GOD BLESS AMERICA :flag:

+1K... Prayers for all lost then and since.

sweetair
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Having grown up just North of NYC on LI sound, the view of the Towers could be see in the distance. Strange still to this day to NOT see them. I know a number of persons lost that day. I still have the Wash Post from that day. Time heals all wounds, but this one is going to take a while.

Ms. Denmark
09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I was in NYC working @ Saint Vincents Hospital that day. Had stopped outside my building to marvel at the gorgeous deep blue sky and enjoying the view looking downtown at the twin towers (they always reminded me of a pair of giants legs standing there). I hated to go inside, it was such an especially stunning day. I no sooner got upstairs to my office when I heard my secretary getting off the elevator shouting " Oh my God", over and over. The first plane must have struck within moments of my stepping inside and Rickie (secretary) who was steps behind me saw it happen. The sense of dread did not set in even when we turned on the news. It almost looked like it could have been a small traffic plane. We went to the medical directors office which had huge windows looking at the Trade Center and saw wisps of smoke coming from the hole in the building. Soon flames began to flare out. I left to call the staff together as I knew we would be needed in the ER. Then the second plane hit. I instantly knew the city was under attack. The next several days were nightmarish. We all stayed at the hospital waiting for the hundreds of survivors who would surely need medical care. Finally, heartbroken, we realized there would be just a handful. The city was a war zone with armed military/police every few feet across 14th Street to cordon off downtown. Every day for weeks, I took medical supplies on foot to get care to those who could not get up to the clinics, wearing a mask trying not to breath the sickening yellow smoke that smelled of jet fuel and everything that had been incinerated. I was so proud to be a New Yorker then. The city coped magnificently. Everyone pulled together and we made it through. I will never forget.

Bluerauder
09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I was in NYC working @ Saint Vincents Hospital that day. .... The sense of dread did not set in even when we turned on the news. .... I left to call the staff together as I knew we would be needed in the ER. Then the second plane hit. I instantly knew the city was under attack. The next several days were nightmarish. We all stayed at the hospital waiting for the hundreds of survivors who would surely need medical care. Finally, heartbroken, we realized there would be just a handful. ... I was so proud to be a New Yorker then. The city coped magnificently. Everyone pulled together and we made it through. I will never forget.

Excellent story and recap, Paula. :up:

Bluerauder
09-11-2008, 05:30 PM
My comments in red. :rolleyes:

World did end on that day. No it didn't. Life goes on. And some of us are a lot less naive.

Along with a lot of freedoms and a lot of hope. You mean like the inconveniences at the airport security line and ID checks ... big deal. I certainly haven't given up Hope. I am more resilient than that.

The future in the world post 9-11 seems more dark and uncertain. Only if you let it be.

You have violation of civil liberities occuring in the name of this day, Back to the ID checks and security screening -- you hiding something?

and we have more enemies in the unseen as well. The USA and its people have always had friends and enemies. Its just a little clearer now who those enemies are.

I wonder what the world would be like without these attacks. About as vulnerable as we were on 10 Sep 01. Just waiting for the attack. We are much, much safer now. .

No Patriot act, no gitmo, no Iraq war. No problem.

Sounds like a better place already. Its fine just the way it is.

Never forget what happened that day - I certainly won't

... and never forget what we have given up in name of this day. This security screening and ID check stuff must really bother you.

Egon Spengler
09-11-2008, 05:49 PM
I was in NYC working @ Saint Vincents Hospital that day. Had stopped outside my building to marvel at the gorgeous deep blue sky and enjoying the view looking downtown at the twin towers (they always reminded me of a pair of giants legs standing there). I hated to go inside, it was such an especially stunning day. I no sooner got upstairs to my office when I heard my secretary getting off the elevator shouting " Oh my God", over and over. The first plane must have struck within moments of my stepping inside and Rickie (secretary) who was steps behind me saw it happen. The sense of dread did not set in even when we turned on the news. It almost looked like it could have been a small traffic plane. We went to the medical directors office which had huge windows looking at the Trade Center and saw wisps of smoke coming from the hole in the building. Soon flames began to flare out. I left to call the staff together as I knew we would be needed in the ER. Then the second plane hit. I instantly knew the city was under attack. The next several days were nightmarish. We all stayed at the hospital waiting for the hundreds of survivors who would surely need medical care. Finally, heartbroken, we realized there would be just a handful. The city was a war zone with armed military/police every few feet across 14th Street to cordon off downtown. Every day for weeks, I took medical supplies on foot to get care to those who could not get up to the clinics, wearing a mask trying not to breath the sickening yellow smoke that smelled of jet fuel and everything that had been incinerated. I was so proud to be a New Yorker then. The city coped magnificently. Everyone pulled together and we made it through. I will never forget.

Hats off to you! That is incredible... I couldn't imagine!

Paul T. Casey
09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I cried a little again today.

Ms. Denmark
09-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Thankyou, Embassy for this thread. And thankyou, Charlie and the rest of you for sharing your stories and feelings. You're right, Charlie, when you say it's good to be able to talk about it. I rarely do, but glad for the chance today. The victims families, all those whose lives were at risk that day, all the first responders, our country and all of you are in my prayers tonight.

rayjay
09-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I remember standing on the front steps of our station at 0400 hrs 09-12-08. The silence is broken by two F16 fighters of the 174th with full afterburners ablaze headed southeast towards NYC, thinking oh God, now what... never did find out why. Those were scary times.

cruzer
09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
As many of you know, I was a pilot for American Airlines for 32+ years. On 9-11, I lost some dear friends. Those of us who fly are all members of a close brotherhood that deeply feels the loss of a fellow pilot. What happened on 9-11 was beyond all imagination. Our minds could not comprehend the thought that fellow human beings could commit such an atrocity and be proud of it. Many scenarios were rehearsed over and over in pilot training to prevent hi-jackings, but this one wasn't even considered.
The Memorial is located in Grapevine, TX--just Northwest of D/FW Airport. The artist and sculptor is a fellow airline pilot and his lovely wife. I had the honor of watching the figures take shape in his hangar at a local airport. The project was financed by contributions from individuals and corporations, a car raffle and the sale of memorabelia--the sticker is an example of one,
The memorial depicts a flight crew doing their job of protecting those who put their lives in their hands. They are wearing uniforms of both United and American airlines. I hope that all who view this memorial will feel the compassion and loyalty of the crews.
Our hearts and prayers go out to all who died that horrific day and to all who were left behind. May God Bless Them and Protect Them.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET.
Maury

blazen71
09-11-2008, 08:10 PM
My prayers go out to all the victims, their families, and all the fallen and active US soldiers. And remember that there hasn't been an attack since. Thanks to George W. Bush and all the soldiers in this war. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

Eric-Blk2004
09-12-2008, 05:42 AM
My comments in red. :rolleyes:

If you believe that ID check and airport crap is whats bothering me or what we gave up after that day its rather cute.

First and form most the Patriot Act effectively suspends the Bill of Rights and the Constitution if the Government has any thought you might be a terrorist. Seriously read the act.

As an accountant I had to read it to understand that when doing oversea banking and investments the government has the total right to watch any account, view all the details, and suspend activity if they feel in any way its suspicious.

Now if you have faith in the system then this is no big deal. And you feel you are not hiding anything then your safe right? The problem is this sets a standard and shows what we as Americans are willing to give up in the name of fear.

All it takes is a little more fear, a little more rift between us, and you will see that Act expanding and being called upon even more. The Department of Homeland Security has a tremendous amount of authority. This country was founded on the belief a small central government and a strong state and local government.

People who are against the act, are stated to be unAmerican. Its funny to see how many people know history.

Oh wait we have a checks and balance system right? The system is not perfect and this is the exact reason why the Patriot Act should NOT be allowed.

All it takes is to have your civil rights violated once and you understand. But if your "American" you probably wont experience it. Being a Native American - you know the people who were told that we could trust the US government to honor treaties and policies - I tend to see things a little different.

My personal experience aside you should be able to clearly see the danger in an Act that allows government agencies to dismiss the bill of rights. Even if you have nothing to hide you need to understand that whats considered "a terrorist" is vague and can be easily manipulated especially when you do not have the Bill of Rights to protect you.

But hey lets all just name call and demean and laugh at opposing views that are actually backed by substance and not someone just waving a flag.

Egon Spengler
09-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Wrong thread to be doing this in!

a_d_a_m
09-12-2008, 06:54 AM
My personal experience aside you should be able to clearly see the danger in an Act that allows government agencies to dismiss the bill of rights. ...and see an even greater danger in a government that actually seeks to do such a thing.

eric, thank you for the reasonable and well-written post. it is evident that anyone who actually reads these policies, or reads studies on these policies, will find it to be an eye-opening experience. it appears to be frowned upon in this thread, unfortunately, and i don't really feel like starting a new thread where my opinions will be rejected by people i've never even met who haven't done a bit of research on them. i will, however, PM you with a few books you might dig. :D

to the topic at hand: i'm not suggesting we 'forget' 9/11 by any means, but wouldn't it be more honorable to honor the memory of the victims of 9/11 by, oh i don't know, actually finding the person who masterminded the attacks? what happened to that strategy? instead, we have more soldiers fighting in iraq than afghanistan and still neither hide nor hair of bin laden. now that makes me feel like crying...

cruzer
09-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Having lived thru the WW II period, I can speak from experience. If you think that what has happened since 9-11, you should have been around in the '40s. First of all, nobody worried about "their rights"--everyone gave 110% effort to get the war won. We had rationing, price controls, curfews, security areas where you would be shot if you even came close, background checks, profiling, internment camps--I could go on for quite a while. BUT, the big thing was, we had a war to win, and as long as our men were dying, we would put up with anything necessary. All of this really happened. Now, what long-term harm did it do to me as an individual--NONE. I still live in the best country in the world with more "civil rights" than anyone. I appreciate what the government is trying to do--but, some people insist on making their job harder. You don't have to capitulate to cooperate. We didn't end up Communist or a dictatorship after WW II, and we are not going to end up speaking Arabic or Chinese if everyone gives their support. Having served in the "black" area of military operations for a few years, I understand the need for the government to have the ability to conduct clandestine and secret operations. The project I participated in ,in 1952, was classified higher than the "Manhattan Project" and required final approval of the President of the US and the Prime Minister of England before we could roll a wheel for take-off. There was NO leak of this info for 48 years and the National Security Agency finally acknowledged that the missions took place in 2000 and called all the survivors in for debrief. We then learned that our unit's work changed the tide of the Cold War---Do you think this could have been done in today's atmosphere--I don't think so. You, as an average citizen do not have the "right" to know everything the government is doing--some things must be kept secret for YOUR SAFETY--think about it. Get this straight. I am not completely happy with what the government is doing, but think of the consequences if the did NOTHING. Freedom comes at a price, be it in lives or priviledges--we must be willing to pay it.

Now, that's off my chest--all I ask is that seriously think about where you are and what is happening around you. Pray for those in harms's way. Maury (check my age)

Eric-Blk2004
09-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Maury, while I respect what your generation has given us and the sacarfices they made, I honestly think we can agree that times have changed.

The war in Iraq is nothing like the WW II. And more importantly - WW II was viewed as a positive war. We knew the enemy and we knew what it would take for victory. Both parties were for it and Americans were behind it. This war is the polar opposite. Iraq is more like Vietnam in that the country is divide on it and as a result the war suffers.

I agree that Americans are dying and somethings need to be sacarficed. I never once complained about ID screens at airports or anything along those lines. The Patriot Act goes FAR beyond a simple background check.

As far as accepting concentration camps and accepting the Government hiding thigns from us. I disagree on. If we do not stand up to wrongful imprisionment and Government secerts we will eventually find ourselfs in prison and in the dark about the actions of our Government.

Again people push for this large all power central government which is the very thing the founding fathers were against.

If you want Government secerts, camps, prisons, and doing anything and everything to win a war then thats fine. I seem to remember a few other people have problems with Totalitarian Governments...and they started a revolution for it.

Egon Spengler
09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
This thread went ass over tea kettle.... not going to view anymore... sorry

a_d_a_m
09-12-2008, 12:23 PM
eric, you can just keep typing on my behalf because you are better at saying the stuff i actually want to say.

i would like to add a couple things:
i think it is one's patriotic duty to voice dissent when a government, especially a government that he or she has voted for, is doing the opposite of what one believes to be right. our founding fathers affirmed this belief in the creation of this country.

and lest we forget one of the truest and best statements ever:
"any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - ben franklin

DTRMiguel
09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
My prayers go out to all the families affected by this

blackrauder
09-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Lets us Remember all those that died and remember the Fire Fighters and Police that died. As a fellow Fire Fighter I would like to sound off a signal 5-5-5-5-5 for my fallen brothers.