PDA

View Full Version : I might get a new job

Motorhead350
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
I have been meaning to get another job due to lack of work in my current job. Those of you who know it and know the situation please do not mention it here. I need to do something that keeps me active rather than in a building all day. I was thinking about being a Tow Truck Driver or a Repo Man. I would only have the job until college is done so this would be for a few months. I already found a Repo company looking for a driver with hours that are perfect around my college classes. Does anyone know how bad this can be or how good the pay is? I know you work off of comission and it can be bad, but how many cars do you actually have to steal? Most of the time I think the Repo people have the keys. :confused:

Also about towing cars... do you need a different licence to operate a tow truck? If so what do I need? I will be going around Towing Companies tomorrow seeing if they need a driver, but I want to be sure that I am "qualified." The only thing I fear is a need some type of licence other than my own.

Google wasn't my friend in this case. I have been looking for answers all day. Anyone with info please let me know. Thanks!

Zack
09-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Before you proceed with this job as a repo man, get yourself a gun card, then a gun....
YOU WILL NEED IT

Motorhead350
09-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Before you proceed with this job as a repo man, get yourself a gun card, then a gun....
YOU WILL NEED IT

That's been done, but I don't think I can hide a 12 gage too well. Sound's safe already.

Ms. Denmark
09-11-2008, 03:16 PM
From the sound of things you didn't get the MTV gig? So sorry.:(

Motorhead350
09-11-2008, 03:21 PM
From the sound of things you didn't get the MTV gig? So sorry.:(

No word as of now, but it didn't pay.

Spectragod
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
And a bulletproof vest, and a backup gun.

YOU WILL NEED IT

Breadfan
09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
And probably a CDL license (for the truck)

In addition to that training, extra training for the gun not a bad idea if going to repo...

Bluerauder
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know how bad this can be or how good the pay is?
I lived next to a guy who did "RePo" work several years ago. He said that the pay wasn't bad. The hours sucked (usually late night and early morning when people were in bed). He had been shot at, chased, followed, etc. Pretty dangerous work since most people don't like having someone take their stuff even if they can't pay for it. They don't like it alot. He would basically steal the car if possible and drive it to where he had his tow truck parked. Rarely did he have the keys. If he couldn't steal the car, he would hook up quickly and snatch the car as fast as he could with the tow truck and boogey out as quick as possible. He told many fascinating and interesting stories. Not a job for the faint of heart. Only those who can handle themselves in a serious pinch need apply.

That's my :twocents:

KillJoy
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
WTF is a gun card?

:dunno:

KillJoy

Spectragod
09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I imagine it would be a concealed weapons permit.

WTF is a gun card?

:dunno:

KillJoy

Motorhead350
09-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Looks like being a tow truck driver actually does require some kind of licence and no one is hiring here. I did call one repo company and they do need someone.... seems a little too dangerious, but I could use the cash.

LilCop2002
09-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I've looked into it several times, but decided that the hassle isn't worth it. Primarily coming up to someone's vehicle and seeing that they had 2 car seats in the back seat. I know that we all have problems, but I can't stand the idea of making someone's life even worse.

Mom raised me a little better than that.

Zack
09-11-2008, 06:38 PM
I've looked into it several times, but decided that the hassle isn't worth it. Primarily coming up to someone's vehicle and seeing that they had 2 car seats in the back seat. I know that we all have problems, but I can't stand the idea of making someone's life even worse.

Mom raised me a little better than that.

Maybe someone needs to remind you that you (and I) are paying those *****heads mortgage, food stamps and clothing.

LilCop2002
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm well aware of that. I'm not necessarily saying that I wouldn't think twice about some vehicles, but others would definitely get yanked.

I'm just not one to take advantage of someone's misfortune. I made some dumb decisions and I bounced back from them as I'm sure most of us have. If that one person didn't give me a second chance, I wouldn't be where I am now.

Motorhead350
09-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Dude people get their cars repoed after many chances. It's not if you miss the first payment, it's like at least three and usually five. They had their chance and the people who actually "own" the cars have bills to pay too. Don't spend money you don't have.

BTW how dare you say you were raised better than me. FYI my dad is a real pushover so don't say that my opinion on what I want to do with my life is a result from being raised. Neither of my parents dig music or cars... my only interests. What is wrong with everyone this week??? A lot have been so quick to judge lately. :shake:

rayjay
09-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Forgetaboutit Dom, you're goin to get killed.

Haggis
09-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Forget those BS jobs Dom, become a Bounty Hunter, that's where the real money is!

LilCop2002
09-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Dude people get their cars repoed after many chances. It's not if you miss the first payment, it's like at least three and usually five. They had their chance and the people who actually "own" the cars have bills to pay too. Don't spend money you don't have.

BTW how dare you say you were raised better than me. FYI my dad is a real pushover so don't say that my opinion on what I want to do with my life is a result from being raised. Neither of my parents dig music or cars... my only interests. What is wrong with everyone this week??? A lot have been so quick to judge lately. :shake:

DUDE! Don't get your panties in a wad. Never did I say that I was better than you! NEVER did I say that. Mom just raised me better than to make money off of other peoples' misery. Can you really and truly say that you know the difference between someone who is stupid and has a supercharged Marauder that they just can't afford versus someone whose father just passed away and whose husband was killed in Iraq and whose child is in need of a lifesaving procedure?

FYI, you're able to get popped if you're 1 day late. Read the contracts for most banks and they CAN get your vehicle if your payment was due on Sept. 11 and your payment doesn't make it until Sept 12th at 1AM. MOST banks don't, but there are some and the local dealerships that do pop quickly and easily.

Hell, did you know that if you tell the Repo Man to leave that legally, they have to? If your vehicle is up in the air and you tell them to leave your vehicle on the ground and to depart your property, they have to. Otherwise, they're trespassing and are breaching the peace. Both illegal and worthy of getting their license yanked, your vehicle back, and if you know what you're doing, get all negative credit reporting history removed.

With that being said, I understand the process of repossession better than 90% of the people on this and other forums. I've done the research and I have experience dealing on BOTH ends of the spectrum.

I've already helped friends and family out who were about to get popped, I've read up on and fought against ILLEGAL REPOs in the state of Tennessee, I've also gone as far as getting the proper license, vehicle modifications, and insurance to actually do my own repos.

When I said that I was raised better than that, I'm not out to make a fortune off of someone's misfortune.

Bail enforcement is where it's at. Same process, but you're hunting people who skipped bail.

Bradley G
09-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Trizzle Trazzle trezzel Trown............:witch:

Haggis
09-12-2008, 06:32 AM
...Bail enforcement is where it's at. Same process, but you're hunting people who skipped bail.

Isn't that what I said?

Mest30
09-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Bail enforcement is where it's at. Same process, but you're hunting people who skipped bail.

And how would somebody get into that?

LilCop2002
09-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Isn't that what I said?

Absolutely and I agree with you. I was defending myself against an apparent personal attack.

LilCop2002
09-12-2008, 10:23 AM

There's quite a few ways to get into the process, however, you should do your research. http://www.google.com (http://www.google.com/) is a great place to start as is http://www.bounty-hunter.net/frequent.htm

The key to it all is to research and get in with a good group which, from what I hear, is a bear to do. Like all careerfields, which include repomen, you've got a handful of great ones who make damn good money and a bunch of not so great ones who will do whatever it takes to make that good money.

Unfortunately, if you get in with the wrong ones who repossess the wrong vehicle or do the right one illegally or you violate someone's civil rights, there's a damn good possibility of you having to defend ALL THAT YOU KNOW AND OWN including your OWN FREEDOM, out of your own pocket...

baltimoremm
09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
have you see that reality show about the repo men? i think its on TLC or discovery or something. it looks like it can get pretty dangerous, but i bet its a blast and pays pretty well.
i would imagine you need your CDL, check and make sure you dont need to get any special liability insurance for yourself, and definitely get yourself a carry permit

LilCop2002
09-12-2008, 10:53 AM
have you see that reality show about the repo men? i think its on TLC or discovery or something. it looks like it can get pretty dangerous, but i bet its a blast and pays pretty well.
i would imagine you need your CDL, check and make sure you dont need to get any special liability insurance for yourself, and definitely get yourself a carry permit

I've seen it a couple times and decided that it was worth more of a laugh than it is for reality. It's very similar to DOG the Bounty Hunter and COPS.

In order to check for the requirements, I would check with your State's website and do a Lexis/Nexis site search for the XX(State) Code Annotated and be thoroughly familiar. (I've got a binder for Repossession as well as Private Security Officer.)

jgc61sr2002
09-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Dom - That can be a dangerous occupation.
Use caution.

Joe Walsh
09-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Dom, I would recommend that you not become a 'REPO' man....
you have enough trouble starting your OWN cars!

:D

TAKEDOWN
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM

I not 100% sure, but I think bounty hunters are not allowed per some law in Illinois.

offroadking208
09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Whatever you decide to do i wish you luck dom. I know how hard it can be to get a job, esp. one that is temporary and is just to hold you over. Good luck sir!

justbob
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Repo man - I have known a few, dangerous and always in need of new guys in good economy. Most nowadays use tow trucks. Forget keys, you don't usually get them and its not in the best interest to cause harm to the car, the bank frowns on that. Average price when slow is 3 cars a day at $100.00 to $300.00 average each.

Tow truck - This is something that i used to do. First off pay sucks a** and hours are even worse. If you work for a company that does AAA Then you will be even more aggravated. On average a AAA tire change pays the driver of the truck $3.00 to go find the car and replace the flat tire and here the customer tell you "isn't AAA the best service" and those a**hats are always the non Tippers no matter what the weather conditions or what busy highway they decided to park in the middle of. Or if your mean spirited you'll love "relocates" thats when you legally steal a car from a parking lot with proper signs saying so and so towing don't park here, you know the ones, to the storage yard. It really sucks around x-mas time when they have their car piled with presents and kid seats and now they get to pay $135.00 to get their car back. Just keep in mind that you will be working around people mostly in bad moods cause their crap is broke.
I think your main hurdle is your age, most companies anymore require 25 and over for insurance. Wrecker and flat beds do not require cdl. All i got was a class c for more weight, its only $5.00 a year just like my cycle license. On your regular license you can tow and have combined weight of 16,000 lbs and a class c will let you go up to 26,000 lbs. (basically most medium duty trucks with legal limit capacity according to plates that are on it).

Motorhead350
09-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Whatever Lilcop.

We'll see what happens with me.

Bob thanks for the info.

I can always be a car porter again and it was a ton of fun, but the pay was pretty bad. I just need something while I go to school that's all. This won't be something I plan on doing for the next couple of years.

Haggis
09-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Dom always remember the moto: 'The Few, the Proud, the Marines', and they will even help pay for you to go to college.

Put your time in and you will be a better man for it.

Ms. Denmark
09-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Dom always remember the moto: 'The Few, the Proud, the Marines', and they will even help pay for you to go to college.

Put your time in and you will be a better man for it. Could he join the Foreign Legion and still become a better man?

Haggis
09-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Could he join the Foreign Legion and still become a better man?

What do you have against the U.S. Marine Corp?

When was the last time you heard of the French Foreign Legion doing anything? They are pretty much a thing of the past, now maybe if this was still the 1950s, but I would still support the U.S. Miltiary over any foreign service.

Ms. Denmark
09-13-2008, 09:34 AM
What do you have against the U.S. Marine Corp?
Absolutely nothing! :)

Motorhead350
09-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Looks like I might not a new job, we will see.

Aren Jay
09-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Repo guys don't carry guns and survive for long. Vests, yes, but not guns. Taser maybe, but not guns, unless Motorhead wants to go to jail. Basically as a repo guy if they say you can't take the car, you can't legally. Unless you get it off their property. And yes repo guys do get shot, but if they shoot back, they go to jail. Think twice before doing this.

Garbage man, that is a better job, less dangerous and well paying.

or click here: http://chicago.backpage.com/employment/classifieds/Results?section=4373&workStatus=Part-time

BigCars4Ever
09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I worked as a valet in the Hamptons when in school. Good hours, good money, lots of excercise and I got to get behind the wheel of cars I could never afford. Ferraris, Porsche, BMW's, Roll's. It was a lot of fun. BTW don't use a valet if you value your car.

SC Cheesehead
09-14-2008, 07:04 PM

Put your time in and you will be a better man for it.

Now you're talking!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000388/): The deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle. It is your killer instinct which must be harnessed if you expect to survive in combat. Your rifle is only a tool. It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of ***** because marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?

Dom the Corps. would be a great opportunity, you may want consider it.

Motorhead350
09-14-2008, 09:09 PM
That would take up more time than I can afford. I would be away for months or even years at a time. I need time for my music. I can't leave for a while and expect everything to be the same again. Thanks for the suggestion, but it is not an interest of mine.

Vortex
09-15-2008, 07:46 AM
This is for you young man:

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

rvaldez1
09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Dom,

I know that working with cars is fun, it can be a job that you will really enjoy. However, I would think that sticking in a field that your resume reflects will get you alot more money than moving into something else.

For example, from your restaurant management experience, you cover ALOT of fields. The restaurant gets you into almost job in the service industry, you have shown you work well with people. The management experience opens even more doors because you can delegate work AND work with people. You can manage an auto parts store or customizing shop if you want to make that jump to cars. I would think with your experience, that hosting a nice restaurant, bar, or club in the busy areas of chicago would get you the most money.

I wish you luck with the search. The good thing is that there is SOOO much you can do in Chicago and the suburbs.