PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever bought a junkyard engine?

Motorhead350
09-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I have an engine lift in my position thanks to Wags on here and fall is coming and he needs it back. I went to a junkyard a few weeks ago and on half price day you can buy a complete engine for $112. I have no idea how to test it. How can someone fire it up? I don't want to yank out an engine and find out it's junk after spending all weekend getting everything just right. Also how would I get this thing in my truck? I could barely get an engine in my K5 with an engine lift and I cannot put an engine lift and engine in my truck at the same time. I might have to see if I can find a buddy with a pickup so I can load the engine easier. The reason I say this is because whenever I go to a yard, you see homemade engine lifts and they pick up straight up so I could never load an engine in my K5 unless the top is off.

So has anyone had any experiences with these or know any answers for me?

Zack
09-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Jesus Christ Dominick, I told you id call you back :rolleyes:

If I was buying one, I would look for a truck that was in a major accident and pull that engine. You know the truck was running!

Bottom line, buying anything from a junkyard is always a guessing game.

Motorhead350
09-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Zack I'm still waiting for your call...

grampaws
09-13-2008, 05:34 PM
I bought a chevy That was close enough!

KillJoy
09-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Junk yard parts...

there is a chance you get what you pay for.

:up:

KillJoy

BAD MERC
09-13-2008, 08:35 PM
You can tell a lot about an engine by smelling the oil. Does it smell like gas or carbon? A heavy foot, tons of miles and serious blow-by may be an issue. Bring a jump box and do a compression test on the cylinders. Look inside the spark plug holes with a boroscope and see what the cylinder walls look like. As far as getting it to your house - maybe a flatbed wrecker or rent a truck from Homo Depot. And yes, I bought a junkyard engine for a 1985 Toyota Supra back in 1991. They delivered it because of the cost. I believe it was around $1,200 with exchange.

larryo340
09-13-2008, 08:45 PM
A pick-up truck if readily available would be best, and if not does the engine hoist come apart ? If it does there should be no reason why you can't fit both the engine and the hoist in the back of your truck, they both did in my Bronco years ago (hoist and 351W long block).

Where there's a will there's a way.

Blackmobile
09-13-2008, 08:48 PM
yeah most junkyards will deliver an engine for you, and the best trick to getting a good engine from a junk yard is to hear it run. They do tend to leave good engines in just for that reason. In my yonger days I once bought an engine from a junkyard that was on the rack, and six cylinders worked great. The only problem was it was a V8. On an unknown engine pull the plugs and they best all look in the same condition.

Ed

justbob
09-13-2008, 11:39 PM
I've gambled atleast 3 times and won.

Rocknthehawk
09-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Mine seems to be just fine...

Hot-Rauders hasn't had any problems yet either.

There's always a chance, especially from pick-n-pull type places. At least where i was working, you would/could get a warranttee

RoyLPita
09-14-2008, 07:19 AM
I've had no problems with yard engines. One went into a GMLSHPP and another into a 2003 Explorer.