PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray DVD players

freakstatus
09-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm looking at getting one soon. Does anyone know what to look for in these?

Are the $299 ones just as good as the $499 ones (both being 1080p)? Is it just the brand that makes the difference?

Thanks,

Eric-Blk2004
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Do not bother - get a PS3.

Reason? Blue Ray's format is changing to v2.0 and none of the players out there can be upgraded. However, a PS3 can due to its harddrive and network.

Just my .02

Vortech347
09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Yup, get a PS3....

Also some of them do "upscaleing" for 720p flicks and most of their hardware for that is WEAK so the upscale is bad.

Dr Caleb
09-15-2008, 01:18 PM
+3 on the PS3.

It upscales really well; I like the way it plays normal DVDs. And you can't play 'The Force Unleashed' on a Blu-Ray player.

Vortech347
09-15-2008, 01:21 PM
That game will whip the llama's ass. I can't wait.

Dark_Knight7096
09-15-2008, 01:24 PM
agreed on the PS3, you can load all of your audio and video files from your PC on it, it is limitlessly upgradeable for when new firmware is needed for the new generation of blu-rays, it has a web browser on it, and you can play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on it. It's pretty much a total entertainment system. No reason to by a standalone Blu-Ray player unless they get down under 100$ but i'm imagining at that point PS3s will be pretty cheap too.

Vortech347
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I ummm...have movies that find their way from the internet to my laptop, then PS3 works with mediaplayer and plays them straight from the lappy!! Totally wireless too. Works well if your HDTV dosn't have a PC input

Dark_Knight7096
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I ummm...have movies that find their way from the internet to my laptop, then PS3 works with mediaplayer and plays them straight from the lappy!! Totally wireless too. Works well if your HDTV dosn't have a PC input

yes i did forget this point you can stream media directly from your PC to your PS3 wirlessly

freakstatus
09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the advice! My wife bought me an XBox 360 two Valentines days ago. I guess I could buy a PS3 and just convince her that its just a stand alone Blu-Ray player...LOL.

Aren Jay
09-16-2008, 12:10 AM

DOOM
09-16-2008, 12:16 AM
PS3 all the way baby :rock:

CanadaMarauder
09-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I just upgraded all my Media system...PS3 is the only way to go...It cost effective and you just tell the wife it's for watching the Planet Earth DVD..not playing Gran Turismo 5.

jonroe
09-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I looked at the trade-offs and got the PS3 for about the same cost as a stand-alone player because of ease of upgrade. We don't even use it as a game player. It works great but can get hot and heat up a smallish media room like ours.

bob6364
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
+1,000,000 on PS3 New Samsung 46" here with ps3 and life is great!!

freakstatus
09-16-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a Sharp Aquos 46".

2,4shofast
09-16-2008, 08:28 PM
PS3 is the way to go....getting redundant yet?

BlackIce
09-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Well I'm going to deviate from the norm here and suggest a standalone unit instead of the PS3 unless you definitely want to play games and don't have to have the best audio/video quality. I have seen and heard the difference in video/audio quality between a PS3 and discrete Blu-Ray player and must say that the discrete units do have an advantage in audio quality - video is slightly better but not as noticeable. Most people will not notice the difference because the source material is already MUCH better quality than many people are accustomed to with DVD, but as is the case with all audio gear discrete components will always have better output than a combo-purpose unit.

Just my two cents...hope this helps.

freakstatus
09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Well I'm going to deviate from the norm here and suggest a standalone unit instead of the PS3 unless you definitely want to play games and don't have to have the best audio/video quality. I have seen and heard the difference in video/audio quality between a PS3 and discrete Blu-Ray player and must say that the discrete units do have an advantage in audio quality - video is slightly better but not as noticeable. Most people will not notice the difference because the source material is already MUCH better quality than many people are accustomed to with DVD, but as is the case with all audio gear discrete components will always have better output than a combo-purpose unit.

Would this be via an optical cable in both instances?

BlackIce
09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Would this be via an optical cable in both instances?

Nope. I'll have to check with my friend who owns the system I'm referring to for what the exact setup was, but I know what you're getting at. In both instances the digital to analog conversion was done onboard. If you go the PS3 route and do your D/A processing outboard, then my comment won't hold as much water. Video quality might still be a touch better with a standalone unit, however.

jonroe
09-17-2008, 05:16 AM

Your point is well taken and I'm sure the stand-alone units would have better audio. I have not added in an audio system yet so am only judging by the video using my PS3 player. For me the audio part of High Def is not important, only the video part.

Vortech347
09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Better audio?! HDMI 7.1 baby...

Spectragod
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Do not bother - get a PS3.

Reason? Blue Ray's format is changing to v2.0 and none of the players out there can be upgraded. However, a PS3 can due to its harddrive and network.

Just my .02

Samsung models can via upgraded via their network link on their units.

freakstatus
09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Better audio?! HDMI 7.1 baby...

Is that what the PS3 has?

Vortech347
09-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Yup, and optical out too...

xopher
09-17-2008, 11:45 PM
+elevendy bajillion on PS3

...works great but can get hot and heat up a smallish media room like ours.

+1. This is the only downside of the PS3 in my opinion. But it makes your winter heating bill less if you live in a small place! :)

shodude
09-18-2008, 01:54 PM
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=215274&om_keycode=4

LG GBWH20L bluray Burner.. love it. can back up my computer, and play bluray disks on my computer. much faster then how i use to do it from the internets.. lol takes days/month to download a blu-ray disk. so i hear..