PDA

View Full Version : More problems with the K5

Motorhead350
09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Remember that my K5 is smashed? Yes you do because I won't shut up about it. Well I found a place that can fix it for $1,500 as suppose to $4,600. I thought I was getting a check for $2,100 and guess what? The insurance company found a way to low ball me down to $1,200. I had quite a fuss with them over the phone telling them how they only care about profit and will make up anything so they can avoid costs or money going out. :mad2: So not only do I literally have to pay to get this truck fixed it get's better!!!

The second body shop said they wound find a K5 body and cut out some of the cab to put on mine because part of my cab must be replaced. Well all they found were rotted versions. Now I have to go to a junkyard on my own time and find a K5 worth messing with. I have to do the legwork myself! :mad2: and on top of all of that there is only one person I know that is telling me to keep this thing and that is my girlfriend because I think she wants me to keep liking her or something. Most of you guys, my friends, people on the K5 site and even my dad said it's a wreck and I should scrap it, but apparently I'm too dumb to do that.

This truck doesn't need much at all, but finding these parts is going to cost me. This is so stupid. Why can't Classic Industries or LMC Truck make these parts? You can find anything you want for a 69 Camaro, but good luck with a 90 Blazer. I really doubt anyone, even here will understand my frustration instead of literally selling out and scrapping this beast.

I just needed to vent on how people don't value vehicles the way they used to and how things would be so much better if I was living in the past. I really don't want to buy a southern truck. It will cost me even more to get it over here before anyone even takes off my smashed parts. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Sucks man, I feel for ya. Just hold on to it for a bit and maybe something will come up in favor for you/it.

Motorhead350
09-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I did find a guy that said I could have the whole body on his K5 for $300. I might call him back since I do not need his floors anymore.

Aren Jay
09-16-2008, 12:07 AM

Motorhead350
09-16-2008, 12:16 AM
It is a pickup with a fiberglass top and another seat. GM passes it off as a Blazer. ;)

Zack
09-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Meathead, do what i told you:

Fill the damaged area of the quarter panel with Great stuff foam sealant, then let it expand and dry.
Then cut it to shape (slightly smaller than original OE specs and bondo it to perfection.

I know its crazy, but Ive done it and it works.

larryo340
09-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Why can't Classic Industries or LMC Truck make these parts? You can find anything you want for a 69 Camaro, but good luck with a 90 Blazer.

Because the truth is a '90 Blazer is not a classic, and will probably never be popular enough for them to make the replacement parts you need now.

A friend of mine was trying to get body sheet metal for his '67 GTX and no one makes it for that car, '68 and up no problem. So it cost him a fortune to have the body shop repair the car.

If the truck has that much sentimental value to you, then have it fixed. Where there is a will there is a way.
If money is an issue right now, park it unitll you can fix it in a way you are happy with.

baltimoremm
09-16-2008, 07:01 AM
buy this thing and use the parts

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/841634480.html

or this

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/842570178.html

UncleLar
09-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Yeah,what baltimoremm said.
Heck,I'm off work yet for a while Dom,I lived out in Wauconda for a long time and know my way around out there,we could take a ride out there and check out the first one.
I don't think you can do better than to grab one of these.You can even drive whichever one you choose in the mean time while you get yours prepped to swap the stuff over.
The second one has a fresh motor in it so I don't think you can go wrong either way.If you take pics of the engine bay and motor before you yank it out of one it'd make it lots easier to put it together in yours.
Zack and everybody else here that's ever used a donor vehicle will tell you how much easier it is to do the parts swapping with the 2 vehicles complete and sitting side by side. And the first one has a plow frame you'd probably be able to sell for a few $ on craigslist.
I honestly believe grabbing one of these two is the best thing you can do if you're really insistant on getting your Blazer "restored" and driving again.
No offense,but give up the hairball schemes of buying junk yard motors and this part here and another part there and grab a running truck you can get for a reasonable price and start throwing wrenches! :twocents:
Now don't make me come over and slap you around some,lol.

CROWNMARAUDER
09-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Hey Dom, you do know that 1973-1991 blazer bodies are identical right? The only difference is the front fenders on the newer ones. I'm not trying to be a smart a**, I just wanted to make sure.

KillJoy
09-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Yup... you should buy a vehicle in perfect working order, with no issues, and butcher it up to make your swiss cheese whole again.

Yup... that's what I would do!

:up:

KillJoy

Zack
09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Yup, the 2nd option is perfect, it will also give Dom the engine he needs for his 65 Chevy.

Master
09-16-2008, 08:07 AM
being facetious, are we?

Joe Walsh
09-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Dom,
Why don't you do what is obviously the smart thing to do, and sell the G*D DAMN thing!
It is a rusted, bent Blazer....
Go buy something else!

I had a 1965 Mustang GT Fastback 289-4 speed when I was in college.
I poured every spare nickel I had into that car! I loved that car.
I almost had her finished up except for some rusty floor pans.
Then it got smashed in a hit & run outside a party I was attending.
The front end was crushed, yet driveable.
I received $ 0.00 insurance money because I could only afford liabilty insurance, which was the minimum required by Maryland law.
Much as I loved that car, and as bad as I wanted to keep it and fix it up, it made no sense to try to do.
It would have cost way too much money to fix it up.
I sold it for $1,800...."As Is".

Within 3 years I had saved enough money to buy a NEW 1985 Mustang GT and I never looked back, nor regretted selling the '65 Mustang.
That 85 GT was faster, quieter, smoother, got better gas mileage and it had A/C!

I know that the thought of selling your Blazer horrifies you, but once you find another ride to drive and have fun with, you will look back and laugh at having even considered rebuilding the busted up Blazer.

ImpalaSlayer
09-16-2008, 10:29 AM
dude just roll the way it is. its a burzer. just plow **** over with it.

Motorhead350
09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
The first one is sold and I already saw the second one. He told me I can have the body for $300. I might pick it up as soon as friday. He put a stupid amount of money into the engine and wants what he paid which exceeds the value of any used 350.

CROWNMARAUDER you are wrong about one thing. The 73-76 was a full convertible with a full convertible top, the 77-91 had a cab and only the back half can be removed. What I really need now is a cab.

Zack thanks for the advice, but I want strong metal, not a cut and paste filler. If you guys see any straight K5s let me know. I am on the market right now!

n00bkiller944
09-16-2008, 02:22 PM
^^^I thought you were trying to save money man? Just park it and wait until you can afford it without having to worry... Then you can enjoy your blazer for a long long time!

MeadeRaudeR
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
[quote=Joe Walsh;659149]Dom,
Why don't you do what is obviously the smart thing to do, and sell the G*D DAMN thing!
It is a rusted, bent Blazer....
Go buy something else!

Within 3 years I had saved enough money to buy a NEW 1985 Mustang GT

85 gt, my favorite stang of all time...

Bobmiddle
09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Look at some auto wreckers out in the southwest(desert areas AZ, Ca, Nv ect.) You will have a better chance in finding blazer parts that are not all rusted to *****. If they are a large enough they should be able to ship parts to you. Parts will be around the same price but shipping will be costly. They should have the avaliability to e-mail pics before they cut up the old blazer to make sure it is in goud enough shape.
Or take the advice that was given to park it and fix it later when $$$ is not an issue. I would say drive it the way it is... winter is comming. Finish the Chevy first get that project done and out of the way the MM is done (so you say) then start on the K5 redo after the winter when you have some more $$$ and good weather. IMHO

Motorhead350
09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm going junkyard hunting tomorrow before school and looks like a stuck a deal with an ad posting on here. I have his permission to take whatever body parts I want for $300. Doors, 1/4 pannel, cab.... heck WINDSHILD! and possibly the engine later. Apparently he just wants the frame and axels. I'll see. I'm taking that Blazer to the body shop friday to see if it's worth messing with. By my eyes it looks fine, but I need someone experienced to take a look. I might be able to afford new paint after all. I will post pictures on here and it'll look better than new. I bet some of you will say it's cool and the rest will say Dominick just built himself a new truck when he could have gotten one in the same condition for the cost of restoring his old one.... and probably this face too.... :shake: and I will have this face..... :P