PDA

View Full Version : Making Awesome Power

FordNut
09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Still got some problems though. Belt slip, tranny slip.

First pull made 660 rwhp, almost 600 rwtq.
Final pull 680 rwhp.

Should make about 700 rwhp when the belt slip gets fixed.
Boost hits 16 lb but once the belt starts slipping it drops off to 14 or so.

Very conservative tune, 93 octane pump gas, all motor, no spray!

Got a lot of thanks to hand out, especially to Dennis & crew. That'll come in another post. We worked 2 very long, hard days to redo the tranny. Bad part is it slipped in the end anyway so we're re-doing it again...

Even worse is the terrible workmanship and worn out parts (claimed to be new) that were in it when we started out. Torque converter never worked right from the time I put the tranny in. Only drove it about 800 miles after spending $1800 on it and the insides looked like crap. I'll post some pics later.

Zack
09-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Congrats! How do you plan on remedying the belt slip?

Vortech347
09-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Nice!! I'm sure thats alot of fun to drive.

Dennis Reinhart
09-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Belt slippage is the least of Brian's worries, he can smile when they throw him off the track at the HWSO. I have never seen a Marauder make this kind of power, 680 RWHP 600 FPT on 93 octane and 16 degrees of timing, and 16 PSI. Brian now has the highest RWHP Marauder in the USA, with NO NITROUS.

This car will make 700 RWHP easy, on race gas we worked till after 12:00 am LAST NIGHT. We are not sure what happened on the third pull, something was not right, so we quit at 12:30, today Steve took the transmission back out, we worked all day yesterday going through it, making two trips into Jacksonville, where I took my 38 with hollow points with me, to get hard parts and gaskets, so we felt we just made a simple mistake, but I was wrong, after inspection today, the transmission was perfect. So I just suspect bad luck, and it being a bad converter, so it was sent back and we will have another one Monday. I will post the dyno sheet tomorrow. I want to thank Brian to bringing the car to us.

FordNut
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Congrats! How do you plan on remedying the belt slip?

I believe the tensioner is hitting the stop. I'll either hack it off or get a shorter belt.

FordNut
09-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Nice!! I'm sure thats alot of fun to drive.

It was a blast driving it down there, but I had to be really gentle since I didn't have a good safe tune yet. Plus I couldn't beat on it because the tranny was messed up so the torque converter wouldn't lock up, just made a lot of heat.

I can't wait to get it back!

Glenn
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
VERY, VERY Impressive results and great job Dennis.

Congratulations - You have the WORLD's most POWERFUL MM. :beer:

Glenn :burnout:

ImpalaSlayer
09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
thats awsome man. cant wait to see what it will run.

glassman99
09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Great numbers Brian. I am anxious to see how fast you melt the Nittos at the SSHS8. With that kind of power they won't last long.

Glenn
09-17-2008, 07:39 PM
In all fairness I must state that Steve's MM is very close to Brian's. They are both monster cars that are the two world's most powerful MM. BUT who knows the HP of Jerry's Trilogy car. OK, those 3 guys are positively the MOST powerful MMs in lth world. OK, I got it right now. No, maybe not quite right again. Marty's MM was the original world's most powerful MM. I personally saw the dyno run of 667 HP. Well we have a small group of very powerful MMs. OK, that's it!!!

merc
09-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Even worse is the terrible workmanship and worn out parts (claimed to be new) that were in it when we started out. Torque converter never worked right from the time I put the tranny in. Only drove it about 800 miles after spending $1800 on it and the insides looked like crap. I'll post some pics later.

I know where this is going and I was hoping not to hear the report about workmanship. :mad: Looks like I will be taking a trip to Florida soon.

MarauderTJA
09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Brian, do you have a 98 Cobra timing cover, like the one I bought from YOU? The FMS all steel tensioner should resolve the problem. Awesome numbers:up:. The RWHP and torque numbers are insane:eek:. Your big Whipple coupled with the stroker motor is making :bows:insane power.

It is great to see that your efforts have paid off with BIG NUMBERS. WOW! Can't wait to see your car run down the track. You just raised the bar for me buddy for a street (not a full race Marauder). But you are going to have your hands full with getting traction for that monster. Congratulations! You have to love it :beer:

FordNut
09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I know where this is going and I was hoping not to hear the report about workmanship. :mad:

I believe you told me he subbed a 4R75W for yours. That's where most of the "best" parts are from, so don't worry too much. yet.

Dennis Reinhart
09-17-2008, 07:55 PM
In all fairness I must state that Steve's MM is very close to Brian's. They are both monster cars that are the two world's most powerful MM. BUT who knows the HP of Jerry's Trilogy car. OK, those 3 guys are positively the MOST powerful MMs in lth world. OK, I got it right now. No, maybe not quite right again. Marty's MM was the original world's most powerful MM. I personally saw the dyno run of 667 HP. Well we have a small group of very powerful MMs. OK, that's it!!!

Well I agree Glenn, but since I was the builder of Steve's car in the beginning, and have followed its developments, both cars are monsters, but as I said Brian has NO nitrous Steve's does. Steves is a watter to air centrifugal and Brians is a Whipple roots blower. But I meant no understatement for Steve's car. I just spoke from what I know for the current numbers posted for the top ten cars.:beer: both are proud owners and we are all close friends, as I feel you and I are. This shows the members here what both a centrifugal and roots blower can make if built right.:burnout::burnout:

FordNut
09-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Brian, do you have a 98 Cobra timing cover, like the one I bought from YOU? The FMS all steel tensioner should resolve the problem. Awesome numbers:up:. The RWHP and torque numbers are insane:eek:. On blower only I am pulling only 641 RWHP:confused: (blower only) with 510 torque on a 93 octane tune. Your big Whipple coupled with the stroker motor is making :bows:insane power. Congrats! I'd contact Darin at BC Automotive. His tranny has held up well with my set-up which is rated to 1000 crank HP. It is great to see that your efforts have paid off with BIG NUMBERS. WOW! Can't wait to see your car run down the track. You are going to have your hands full with getting traction for that monster. Gotta love it buddy:beer:

My timing cover setup is similar to Trilogy. The blower belt only goes from the crank to the blower.

This was supposed to be a killer tranny from Darrin. When I contacted him about my problems initailly after I installed it, he all of a sudden doesn't seem interested in me. Of course he was quite vocal about slamming the Lentech workmanship in the tranny I sent it to him. At least the Lentech lasted me over 20k miles and a bunch of 1/4 mile passes. I discovered his had problems in less than 50 miles. I figured since Jerry is the expert on these trannys, he could tell me what was wrong with it. I expected some minor problem like a connector or solenoid or maybe the converter. What a surprise I got.

MarauderTJA
09-17-2008, 07:57 PM

Glenn, who is Steve?

Leadfoot281
09-17-2008, 07:59 PM
I've heard of people drilling small holes in their blower pulleys.

This allows air that normally gets trapped between the belt and pulley to escape. This gives the belt much better grip with less slipping.

Would this be workable on your set-up? Has anyone else heard of this or tried it?

FordNut
09-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Glenn, who is Steve?

Steve Schingler aka glassman99

His setup used to be a DR Air-Water system, but I believe he now has a bigger head unit and has converter to Air-Air. I also have heard he made 675...

MarauderTJA
09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
My timing cover setup is similar to Trilogy. The blower belt only goes from the crank to the blower.

This was supposed to be a killer tranny from Darrin. When I contacted him about my problems initailly after I installed it, he all of a sudden doesn't seem interested in me. Of course he was quite vocal about slamming the Lentech workmanship in the tranny I sent it to him. At least the Lentech lasted me over 20k miles and a bunch of 1/4 mile passes. I discovered his had problems in less than 50 miles. I figured since Jerry is the expert on these trannys, he could tell me what was wrong with it. I expected some minor problem like a connector or solenoid or maybe the converter. What a surprise I got.

Interesting. But your previous set-up was not at the power levels that you have now. With a 100 shot of nitrous Darin's tranny has handled 720 RWHP flawlessly for me along with his convertor in numerous runs. I just hope you get the problem resolved regardless on what tranny you go with.

MarauderTJA
09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Man, this is going to be a GREAT SSHS8 with all these super Marauders there racing. A far cry from years ago.........I CANNOT WAIT.

red
09-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Man, this is going to be a GREAT SSHS8 with all these super Marauders there racing. A far cry from years ago.........I CANNOT WAIT.
So, who all is going? Was there a poll yet?

MarauderTJA
09-17-2008, 08:21 PM
So, who all is going? Was there a poll yet?

The SSHS8 website will be posting participants soon.

red
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Didn't see one, so created a poll here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47496). Oh, and congrats Brian! Insane numbers!

Vortech347
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
You guys are gona whoop some impalla ass...

MarauderTJA
09-17-2008, 08:24 PM

That's the plan:D

FordNut
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM

We've got a ways to go to beat that 9 second Impala, though!

offroadkarter
09-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Yes but your our best shot at that

Holy ***** at those numbers

FordNut
09-18-2008, 09:58 AM
...Even worse is the terrible workmanship and worn out parts (claimed to be new) that were in it when we started out. Torque converter never worked right from the time I put the tranny in. Only drove it about 800 miles after spending $1800 on it and the insides looked like crap. I'll post some pics later.

Pics are posted, comments describe them. There's more, but no pics.

Blackmobile
09-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Yes but your our best shot at that

Holy ***** at those numbers

We'll have no problem with the Impala guys once I get this installed. The piping may be a little bit tricky, with a small bump in the trunk lid.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/255705main_folklife-3_800-600.jpg

merc
09-18-2008, 11:24 AM
We'll have no problem with the Impala guys once I get this installed. The piping may be a little bit tricky, with a small bump in the trunk lid.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/255705main_folklife-3_800-600.jpg

I can tell you for a fact you are wasting your time. Although you might be able to bolt the engine to the frame you will not be able to carry the fuel necessary to cool the pumps and supply ignition. Good luck :flamer: The fuel pumps on the space shuttle can move about 1000 pounds of fuel per second. That comes out to about 120 gallons per second, or 7,200 gallons per minute. The Space Shuttle's rocket engines are capable of operating at extreme temperatures. The liquid hydrogen fuel is stored at −253 degrees Celsius (−423 degrees Fahrenheit). However, when burned with liquid oxygen, the temperature in the combustion chamber reaches 3,300 °C (6,000 °F), higher than the boiling point of iron. That may give the track officials something to think about. The main pump boosts the liquid oxygen's pressure from 2.9 to 30 MPa (422 to 4,300 psi) while operating at approximately 28,120 rpm. You might need Dennis Reinhart's help on tuning. That's a ton of boost.

2ndMDRebel
09-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Congrats on an insane build, those numbers are awesome.

:nworthy:

Blackmobile
09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Back to the drawing board......:alone:

glassman99
09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
For the record...I do not run juice. Not now or never. I don't trust the stuff

FordNut
09-18-2008, 06:39 PM
For the record...I do not run juice. Not now or never. I don't trust the stuff

Same here...

We ought to be pretty evenly matched now. SSHS8 will be fun!

BTW, I just got contact & qty info on t-shirts. Making some progress.

MarauderTJA
09-18-2008, 06:54 PM
If you both are up for it, I am looking foward to running either one of you bad boys:2thumbs:. It will be an interesting SSHS8 to say the least, can't wait:banana2:.

FordNut
09-18-2008, 07:06 PM
For sure! Mostly want to eat some Impala steaks though...

glassman99
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Remember Brian, your made your HP on PUMP GAS. This might call for a pully change. Looking forward to SSHS8. Good work Brian on the (Heavyweight)project.

FordNut
09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Remember Brian, your made your HP on PUMP GAS. This might call for a pully change. Looking forward to SSHS8. Good work Brian on the (Heavyweight)project.

Go ahead... make me switch to the race gas tune!

MM_BKK
09-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Brian, congrats on your project and awesome #'s!!!

:beer:

Dennis Reinhart
09-18-2008, 07:33 PM
What do you get when you cross a Glasman with a Ford Nut???????

INSANE POWER AND LIVE ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!!!

Dennis Reinhart
09-18-2008, 07:42 PM
VERY, VERY Impressive results and great job Dennis.

Congratulations - You have the WORLD's most POWERFUL MM. :beer:

Thank you Glenn, there is no iron clad customer guarentee, with any thing we do, there are those here that have known me for years, try having a Navy Carrier as I have, try starting a Carrier moving business to transition to a civilian life, answer the non stop ringing phone, over see employees and twist wrenches at the same time, I will tell you it cannot be done with a satisfactory degree of satisfaction, My best investment was a secretary that is courteous and knowledgeable, but no matter there will always be customers that you will never make happy every one cannot be your friend, after twenty years in the Navy there is a old navy term, it only takes one OH **** to kill ten at a boys, this is the case with the INTERNET, I trusted a company to build a blue print of JW knowledge of a 4R70W years ago, and they screwed me, so I do not sell them any more. I or any one here with Jerry's guidance can build a perfect 4R70W, but we can not insure the transmission cooler has been flushed or changed, or the transmission is installed right, we cannot rely on any one but our selves to insure the product we sell or represent is done to our satisfaction with out QA = quality assurance, all we can do is try and make it right if we feel we may have been in error, so after years of being on the net and Jerry's support I bend over back-words to help as long as I feel like I am not being taken advantage of, Jerry has told me many times I go to far but you know posts like the make the difference. I am going on a four day cruise Saturday till next Thursday with my wife, and I am taking two quarts of Vodka. I hope every one has a good weekend, and a great Marauder event. I would be there, if this cruise was not booked one year in advance.

Marauderman
09-19-2008, 03:47 AM
Wow--just wow-Brian--- Great numbers--was wondering what you were up to since your last involvement (engine)... I may try and drive down for the event and back the same day--would be nice to see all you guys again....
good luck with your end results---there just awasome so far!!!

MarauderTJA
09-19-2008, 04:23 AM
For sure! Mostly want to eat some Impala steaks though...

I agree 100%. We need to show those Chebby guys we have been eating our Wheaties.